Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most striking thing about this series, in retrospect, is how willing they are to just kill off almost every supporting character and change the direction of the plot between movies. Alice is the only character that matters, and her confusing fight against the Umbrella corporation. Even the whole "zombie apocalypse" thing tends to fade into the background next to super-clones and super-mutants, though that much is in keeping with the video games.

Fasdar posted:

Every time a new one comes out it is like we get a window into a parallel universe where Milla Jovovich is the only action star, and Resident Evil movies are the only franchise.
I can't quite agree with this because RE2, at least, is like a compendium of every single action movie cliche from the previous decade.

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite thing about the Resident Evil movies is how their subtitles keep me from ever understanding in which order they were released and how many there are.
:same:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Other than Resident Evil, Underworld, Blomkamp's movies, and John Wick if it becomes a franchise, the mid-budget theatrically-released R-rated action movie seems to have died.
What we need is another PM Entertainment.

raditts posted:

I don't think anything beats Dance of the Dead where zombies launch out of their graves with rocket propulsion and land on their feet running.
I'm still going to have to hand it to Zombi 3, where there's that "rotten skull flying through the air on a spinal cord" zombie. This is like a matter of days after a zombie outbreak caused by bad UN humanitarian rations, by the way. (Also tons of running and leaping zombie stunts where poor Filipinos were paid paltry amounts of money to injure themselves.)

exquisite tea posted:

I never really understood these movies. If you like Resident Evil then you probably want to see zombies in a creepy mansion and not some lady bicycle kicking dogs to bad techno and elaborate laser traps?
The games are inconsistent about that. They have ludicrously weak plots that justify all the traps and scenery puzzles--like, that the mansion in Raccoon City was designed by a deranged architect, and that the Racoon City police chief was an insane big game hunter and art collector (thus justifying why you need to rearrange art in the police station to unlock doors).

I wish the rationale behind the dungeoncrawls in both the games and the movies was less strained and stupid, because RE delivers a drat good dungeoncrawl when all is said and done.

Tenzarin posted:

More memories why Resident Evil 4 was the best game.
So one time my crazy ex's crazy ex-roommate said "RE4 wasn't really a Resident Evil game, it was Leon's Big Adventure" and I said "Your mom was Leon's Big Adventure" and that shut her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey yo, so as far as RE6 is concerned, I found that the good stuff, I loved, and the bad stuff, I hated.

On the plus side, the set design is awesome. The rationale may be paper-thin, but the RE movies are at their best when they're dungeoncrawls with a mix of futuristic laser traps and Texas Chainsaw Massacre gore-spattered dungeons inhabited by chainsaw-wielding monsters.

The worst is the editing. Split-second shots, even in the scene where it's just a bunch of people talking. And in the action scenes, wow, after 5 movies Jovovich apparently can't do a convincing action scene without a million cuts, which is particularly bad considering that these movies don't have the same kind of intricate hand-to-hand combat as, for example, the Bourne films.

And the sound editing can be unbearable. Key examples: this film has multiple scenes where there's multiple jump scares involving the same monster, where you think it's dead three times before it's actually dead. And whenever there's a jump scare, they throw in these non-diegetic sound effects--like, not just the sound of the monster snapping and biting and knocking debris around, but whining and metal-on-metal screeching sounds thrown in to boot. It's teeth-grindingly bad.

Idunno about Anderson as a director. He has his moments of excellence, and then there are these moments of Uwe Boll level "I've seen this in another director's movie but I obviously don't understand why they did it."

SimonChris posted:

The Unusual Genius of the Resident Evil Movies.

I've only ever watched fragments of these movies, but this article makes me want to give them another shot. Should I watch all of them, or just some specific fun ones?

I found RE1 to be just a kinda boring, badly choreographed, badly shot action movie. Like Underworld, it really doesn't hold up against the movies it rips off, even as lowbrow indulgent fun. You sure as poo poo don't need to watch these movies in order because they all throw logic and continuity to the wind, so I'd say skip it.

RE2 is simultaneously one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and one I encourage you to see. It's like a checklist of every single action movie cliche from the preceding decade.

RE3 is one of the more fun ones just due to the set-dressing and the premise of some of the set-piece action scenes.

RE4 I find to be just kind of a mess. Don't have much to say about it.

RE5 is vastly better than the ones that came before. On a rewatch, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did in the theatre, mainly because the selling point of these movies is the action, and in the end they're just not that well shot or choreographed. It's a divinely stupid movie that knows it's a video game, has a ridiculous premise, a plot that makes no sense but that serves to justify a bunch of videogamey setpieces so it's cool, and it's literally a dungeoncrawl with levels the characters have to fight through.

RE6: See my review of RE5, above

So basically, 2, 3, 5, and 6 are the ones I'd recommend. You absolutely don't need to watch them in order.

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO what's that article author's SA name? I have to very strongly disagree with just about everything in that article. None of the RE movies are worth seeing, but if you MUST see one, Afterlife and Extinction are the least awful. Both have enough preamble that you'll know won't have any trouble following them.

I don't know I mean anyone that knows me knows I loving love action movies from all decades and all kinds but I gave every RE movie a chance at some point or another and thought they all were boring crap. Each one is so cynically by the numbers ______ blockbuster movie, but with zombies.
On the one hand, I can't disagree with your criticisms of the movies. On the other hand, which was chopped into pieces by lasers, that article had one very good point: because of the very fact that these movies are just a bunch of lowbrow cliches tossed in a blender, a unique identity necessarily comes out of that. Like I was saying, the weird disregard for continuity and the entire supporting cast is something you rarely see.

It's probably pretty rare for Hollywood blockbusters not to have weird pathologies worth studying, even when they're bad, and especially when they become franchises. For examples of stuff that's not even worth paying attention to you'd probably have to look at some of the YA novel movies and Adam Sandler comedies.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 5, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

well why not posted:

I just saw Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. I haven't watched any of the other films. I think I saw the trailer or a clip from the first maybe a decade ago. I've also played 20 minutes of RE1 and RE5.

AMA about the film or series and I'll try to explain what I think is happening any why.
Why are there zombies?

Why is it called "Resident Evil" like what does that even mean.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

well why not posted:

I'm guessing the "T Virus" was released in the first film, probably in the Hive? And like, evil was 'residing' in there? I'm guessing that Alice used to work there and got amnesia'd, somehow. Maybe Claire worked with her, with Ian Glein as their boss?
This is fun.

Who's Alice?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Whenever Alice isn't onscreen, characters are asking "Where's Alice?"

Can't wait for Alice to get that time machine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No. The movie starts in the aftermath of that battle in a (admittedly impressive) bombed out DC.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That first fight was where the sound editing really started grating on me, all at once.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Perhaps the theatre was to blame for part of it, but the volume that made the dialogue clear made the loud parts painfully loud, and that fight in particular was painfully loud right off the bat. More importantly, whenever the movie does that multiple-jump-scare thing it does whenever there's biting and snapping monsters, there's not just the sound of the monster but some non-diegetic irritating metallic sounds thrown in.

(Why is it that movies with bestial monsters always imagine that they will make screeching noises that are far more aggravating than scary? Alien, I guess.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, it did get better as time went on. I wasn't grating my teeth during the big tower fight or anything, just that first fight scene had me bracing myself for the whole film to be painfully loud.

• Locked thread