Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

pentyne posted:

I assumed they were going to take the "No one believes Lucifer" thing until the end of the season while he keeps claiming it but doesn't do anything to show it other then charm people into confessing their desires. After that it was either going to go into a supernatural show with police elements or still be a case of the week show with minor bits here and there of Lucifer doing powered stuff.

I think one of the challenges is that eventually it would be satisfying to have Lucifer use his powers of persuasion in long games that manipulated other characters with more elegance and complexity than simply asking them "what is it you want most in the world?," but exploring that potential of the character might be outside the scope of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Echophonic posted:

That's a pretty cool video, I like that they know they aren't going to be able to do a close following of the comics and are trying to do something relateable and not insanely ambitious.

The main character is great, they just need to commit to making this an Angel/Buffy type cheese show, build out the world and cast a little more and maybe give us a second character with a personality.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

e X posted:

Well yeah, that is my critic of the show, i think an evil, or at the very least amoral, Lucifer would make for a much better show.

I don't think that would work in the simple buddy cop format, they would have to do something like the Blacklist where there was a game beneath the game and Lucifer had an agenda.

Model Cop wouldn't tolerate him if he was being an evil jackass around her . I guess they could show him being a little darker while he wasn't being a consulting detective, maybe doing some kind of Dexter vigilante thing.

The humor and odd likability of Lucifer is what carries the show right now, I think it would need to be a different and more complex show to take advantage of a darker eviler Lucifer.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

drainpipe posted:

That was a legit good episode and not just trashy good. Pretty excited if it can maintain this level. And I don't mind the procedural elements too much as long as there is some good overarching storyline happening in the background (and taking center stage every few episodes). iZombie is a great example of how you can have both.

It had some good Luci lines, dramatic character development, a supernatural reveal, and chocolate cake. Hit all the notes.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

I liked that one moment when Amenadiel got caught up and was having fun as Lucifer's wing man and was all like "where to next."

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

evilmiera posted:

In the pilot Amenadiel says Lucifers return to the underworld has been requested, and the implication , outright stated by Luci is that God was the one asking, with Amenadiel responding "He will not be merciful for much longer". So he is around , but would not be appearing on the planet. I do not recall if he ever appears directly in the comics.

When Supernatural handled this issue God was MIA from heaven for who knows how long and the head angels were just telling people what to do and pretending their orders were from God .

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I like procedurals. I think the bigger story gets in the way of the bits I like. I want the formulaic case of the week, not the rest of it. I hope they don't focus on the big mystery and just keep that as a background thing. Focusing on the bigger stories is what ruins these shows.

I think there are two things: there is the element of how much supernatural woo and mythology they actually put into the show, and then there is story arcs v. villain of the week.

What is probably a waste of the show premise is doing villain of the week for the next 20 episodes, with none of the villains and conflicts being supernatural woo related.

They can keep the mythology separate and mix between the mythology arcs and police case of the week with no woo, but having it be all police case of the week with no side story arcs and also with no woo integrated into the police cases doesn't seem like a long term formula to me.

The stolen wings episode was a good integration attempt IMO.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Tricia Helfer has still got it, though it's sad that everything she's done since BSG has gotten cancelled or not ordered to a full series (Ascension). I always thought she would have been a better Cersei than Headey since they were both up for the part.

:agreed:

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

"...and they won't stop talking about something called gluten."

:allears:

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Homeless Magician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Douche

• Locked thread