Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The comic book Lucifer isn't good or evil but instead follows his own morality of gently caress you I'll do what I want. Which is why he hates God so much.

Whereas this one is close to that, but still sort of cares about some people and things. Kind of. He seems a little more stuck in his ways of the old job, but that's quite fine, leaves him space to grow as a character.

I said it before, having seen the leaked episode, but I like this show's first offering and my friends like it too. Can't wait for next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Len posted:

The metaplot of angels trying to talk him to go back to hell may get interesting.

In the comics, it is less that stuff escapes hell (as far as I remember anyway, it was ages since I read it) but that people got very interested in owning the keys to hell for various reasons.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bio347 posted:

In particular, ownership of Hell was solved in Sandman, before Lucifer moved to LA and opened Lux. I guess it's a decent enough metaplot for a TV show though (and far simpler, for sure).

But yeah, as of the pilot the resemblance is very superficial. Names and places, mostly, and the broad idea of Lucifer's character. The actor is compelling in the role, but it's definitely not the Lucifer of the comics.

Which I do not mind at the moment. He was interesting in the comics but I was always more of a Sandman fan .

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

They're going to run out of devil themed songs by the half-way point of the season...

Not if they dive into Death Metal or something.

Liked the second episode less than the first, if only because it started straining a bit under the pressure of having a character breaking so many laws and not being properly arrested. I mean, Lucifer just set up a duel to the death on an open street and took an arrested man out of custody , I am pretty sure that lands you some time in jail. I mean, not that they could hold him, he broke out of hell and all, but still, I don't think "helped us solve another murder, sort of, even though there's no real evidence to back up his claim" is enough for anyone not to press charges.

Still, the acting is good enough, though I agree his change to have more empathy came sort of quick. Even if there were hints of it in the first episode. What I don't exactly like is his sudden change in attitude towards sin and all that. He seemed less interested in being responsible for those in the last episode but now he's sort of owning it, but kind of for the wrong reasons? I still liked the episode though and I am hoping for more.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm been enjoying the songs they had.

Enjoyed the 2nd episode. Ending was sweet and the dual was pretty awesome. I hope him and his brother eventually do fight.

I hope we get more therapy sessions.

If the promo is any indication, you will get those sessions.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Yea gotta admit the whole shrugging off or trying to explain the crazy poo poo he does has to stop soon.

It should've stopped at the second episode, but hopefully it stops now. That is really my main problem with the series so far, the pacing. The first episode was rapid (but most pilots have to be to convey a plot well) and that sort of hurts these episodes a lot because all we're really getting is a bunch of people saying Lucifer is changing and new villains of the week for the cops to catch. I honestly think the whole cop show thing needs to stay on the sidelines a bit (though not be removed) because it manages to completely derail a lot of the more fun stuff we want to see happening.

Also nice to see them blow half their budget on an explosion and the other half on a window getting smashed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I do wonder what it would take to get the writer of the pilot to write more episodes. That rocked.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The angel angle is really bad and takes away from story. At least once he starts visiting Starbucks in civilian clothing and does not do his weird time nonsense as he does it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zebulon posted:

Both he and the therapist sold that amazingly, I must say. Dude is an amazing pick for the role for both the light hearted and the serious parts. And she seemed to, if only for a moment, have to seriously consider that he is, in fact, who he says he is. Makes me wonder if she's going to start suspecting the angel given how violently Lucifer reacted to her taking his claims at face value.

A question though, since I forgot to check as I was watching the episode: Did he bleed when punching the wall? Or hurt in any way? Because if he didn't, it'd prove he can only be hurt by the detective?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

meristem posted:

How does it deal with non-Abrahamic religions? By carefully evading the topic?

Considering the comic writer basically created a whole mixed mythology, the idea of a single true religion is both confirmed, denied, partially elaborated on and ignored all at once. Think Planescape, where every single contradictory religion is true and real, though levels of power vary with belief. For a while, giant cats rule the Earth and always have, until humans dream/believe this is not true hard enough.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, He didn't do the whole "look em in the face and ask what they desire" thing. I think he just had a regular old fashioned bribe ready to go and was kinda surprised the dude said no.

I'm honestly confused about the wings. On one hand, it'd completely be in character for him to burn them after finding out he was getting hosed with hardcore. On the other hand, it's ALSO in character for him to hold onto them and burn the fake ones, especially given that realization that if he randomly gets popped he's going back to hell, because he thinks he's losing his powers (or he is). Hell, throw in the idea that he was testing Maze as a way of finding out if she's loyal to him or not, and it's even murkier.

It kinda says a lot for the show that the character is complex enough to have something like this be questioned. I'm digging it.

I was happy with the ending where the guy got healed, but I'm wondering why. Seems like it's just odd to have a random dude get "touched by an angel", but maybe there's a bigger plan at play with Amendiel?

I was cracking up at how charming he was compared to Lucifer who just tends to be as blunt as possible, and getting a rise out of Decker.

Well, if I were to guess, Amenediel (Amenadiel?) has been keeping tabs on the stuff surrounding Lucifer, but was mostly focused on getting him back to hell. Now that he came so close to falling as Lucifer did, he may've wanted to do something to "redeem" himself. That or he just felt if he got the cop back on his feet then they may not need Lucifer to go poking around helping the police with that case, meaning he's got less reasons to be distracted? Or it's part of some new plan of his to get Lucifer to hell.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AnimeJune posted:

Amenadiel also mentioned that he's been subbing in for Lucifer's job since Lucifer quit Hell five years ago. That, combined with Lucifer's gleeful "fall as I did!" taunt may have inspired him to heal the cop to remind himself of who he's supposed to be.

It also makes his motives much more personal and complex - he's not pursuing Lucifer just for God's sake, but because he's fed up with picking up Lucifer's slack. Amenadiel's tired of the hell gig after only five years, and he's determined to drag Lucifer back to it after he's managed it for millennia. Could this make him a wee bit more sympathetic towards Lucifer in the future?

Probably not. But a lot more determined to get him back to work, absolutely. I've a strange feeling it will all come full circle with the thing Lucifer said in the pilot episode of "I'm looking forward to eating your heart one day."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bio347 posted:

It's been a while since I've read them (I should rectify that, thinking about it), but I'm pretty sure that was a reference to the comics. Although I guess that doesn't rule out it being foreshadowing.

Possibly. But then, Lucifer does seem like the kind of guy to keep his promises.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Etalommi posted:

I think Amenadiel healed the cop for a play, not out of the goodness of his heart. There is no indication the confrontation took place near where the cop was, there is a hospital full of sick and injured around him. Unless he healed them all, he chose that cop for reason.

Then again, if we start getting technical, why isn't God in that tv universe out healing everyone semi-good all the time as a full-time job? He'd clearly have the power to. But then we start getting into proper theological debates and not character ones and that doesn't make for as good a story.

Edit: Unless this was the DC Spectre comic or possibly House. But I'm not 100 percent sure this procedural has the chops for that sort of fun.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 8, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

He didn't so much bootstrap himself as he just decided "gently caress it, VACAY!" and hauled rear end to LA 5 years ago.

I'm thinking the cop healing is a plot, moreso than a "Oh, yea, I'm an angel" thing, because as mentioned before, he was willing to let people die in order to get Lucifer back and didn't really seem to care all that much. Maybe cop guy was in hell and Amendiel talked to him when he tried to escape?

Sets up a "evil partner hellbent on killing Luci's new bestie" AND it sets up a whole revenge angle based on the fact the shot guy's gonna wake up and be like "I GOT loving SHOT AND YOU INVESTIGATED ME? WHAT IN THE poo poo WOMAN?", maybe he made a deal to get out of hell to help Amendiel get his poo poo together so Lucifer can gently caress off back home to hell and he can swing back up to heaven and soak up some god rays.

That's 2 evil humans ready to kill Decker, and that's not even going into the random weird poo poo that a pissed off angel can do.

I did crack the gently caress up when they were talking about the saint being a fatty though. Shows they were bros :3:

Shows even humans who are on their team are mostly belittled by angels, too. That's the feeling they seem to give off, that of simply not caring for mortals that much. Not that they hate them or anything.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

It was obviously a joke, but Amenadiel did say "Why don't I go ask Father for some rain, to make it a moment" when Chloe stormed off at the auction, so the implication is that God is still around and reachable. I think it's probably just that Amenadiel hates his new job and God told him to either do it or get Lucifer back to do it instead.

In the pilot Amenadiel says Lucifers return to the underworld has been requested, and the implication , outright stated by Luci is that God was the one asking, with Amenadiel responding "He will not be merciful for much longer". So he is around , but would not be appearing on the planet. I do not recall if he ever appears directly in the comics.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Titan posted:

The best part was when Amenadiel and Luci were talking about how fat John was.

It felt a bit fake, possibly because it was intended to be with amenadiel trying to act like Lucifers friend again. But it was interesting in seeing two immortal beings discussing historical accuracy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I really want them to lean heavier on the actual supernatural stuff, the regular police drama just bores me when Lucifer isn't around to make fun of it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

He talked a guy off a building in a previous episode, just last time it was off the edge of the building

See, now he's seen both sides, he knows which one he prefers.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The only real downside to the wings episode was the display looking like a giant iphone case.

Where'd he even find the case, what's it supposed to hold anyway?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Snak posted:

I doubt someone who collects and sells rare antiquities has trouble acquiring custom built display enclosures.

Sure, but in less than a week, to a very odd and specific size?

Edit: The only kind of item I can figure them putting in a case shaped like that is a large unfurled scroll of some type, though I think it would be tilted in that scenario to have something for the scroll to rest on and be easier to read.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

This is literally the most ridiculous criticism I've ever seen in TV IV.

This is true, and I still love the show. It was just something that bugged me as I was watching it. If there is something to properly get annoyed at in this show it is nothing to do with the props.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zebulon posted:

Maze and the kid was almost adorable in how flippant it was.

That is the sort of humor I want more of and that I haven't seen as much of since the pilot. With Lucifer doing things like telling Trixie to ask her mother what a hooker was, or forcing people to admit they're not marrying someone for anything but their money.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My main problem with this episode is that Lucifer seemed to lie at the beginning of it when he seemed to agree that he and Decker slept together. Then again maybe he didn't on account of mostly just following along with her presumption before telling her what really happened.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyges posted:

You know, in all this talk of lying devil's, the nature of divine forgiveness, and the poor forethought of detective coma we've missed the biggest hole in his deal.

How the gently caress is he going to take a physical coin to Hell? Luci brought it up with his physical angel hands. How's detective gluttony planning on bringing down?

Sure it will take him staright out of hell...right back into his dead body.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I wasn't sure why you wrote it that way first and then got the immaculate pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

grack posted:

I do not have Netflix.

I am going to get Netflix because of this.

It is really tempting. I have HBO right now that I barely use aside from watching Game of Thrones and Westworld, and given the dropping quality of both shows I was pondering dropping the service. Might make the switch for this and a couple other shows I like.

• Locked thread