Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like that the premise seems to be that Lucifer doesn't want to be the bad guy, but is forced into the role by virtue of the universe needing a bad guy.

The pilot was a little rough, but you kinda had to introduce everyone so I give it a pass for now. Also I like that the detective's kid took to Lucifer so quickly. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

probably not much. This pilot felt pretty cookie-cutter to me, tbh.

Like, HE'S THE DEVIL...his power is that he can sorta read minds and people lose their inhibitions. And he solves police cases? what?

It makes sense. See the thing with the Devil is that his main sin was not doing exactly what God said without any hesitation. That only makes him a bad guy if you actually believe that God is the #1 best thinker who always gets everything right. That isn't exactly realistic nor assumed for a lot of the modern day audience.

In other words, the guy can still help people and not have it be against his character as long as he's not a total goody two-shoes (which it doesn't look like based on how he dealt with the record producer).

(Also I'm calling it now - there will be a scene where he dresses up like a Catholic Priest and/or hides in a confession booth)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

I don't think people are upset by it not following the comic, but rather are annoyed by how bland and rote this procedural detective show is.

The dude upset at the Eisner winning comic book not being adapted correctly seems to be upset about it not following the comic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boogaleeboo posted:

You say that, but for the longest time there's been ABC airing badly performing pity shows from God Disney, Netflix prestige dramas, and the CW and it's DC block. Everything else sucked wind and failed inside a year. If Supergirl makes it to season 2 that will actually buck a trend.

And Gotham.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

This is my problem. I couldn't care less if they make a different show as long as it is original, but really? Another smug intolerable early 30's white guy with special abilities/knowledge solves crimes with a more serious female/minority/female minority cop/detective/caretaker partner? We really need one more of those shows? Something felt odd from the start until I realized that it was interchangeable with any other similar show except the guy is the devil I guess but it works pretty much the same in practice

Yeah, his partner should've been a white dude to make it fresh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

They're going to run out of devil themed songs by the half-way point of the season...

I wonder how many episodes until they use Sympathy for the Devil.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NowonSA posted:

I like that Lucifer keeps pulling the "I'm the devil" stuff every other line, like "You humans do like..." or "You're the devil... yes I am." but it just keeps working for me. It's seriously happening more often than villain foreshadowing, puns, or weird comic references happened in season one of Gotham, only coming across so much better. I dunno, just something I noticed.

I want this show to last 5+ seasons and have them still coming up with wacky "I'm the devil" dialogue.

I think it's because most urban fantasy does the whole "I must keep the secret to protect people" and Lucifer is just like "yes I'm the literal Devil, how can I help?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

So Lou's power is to make people tell him their darkest desire right? Does he also have the power to make people confess on the spot in his presence? Both the professional hitperson and the crooked agent immediately folded and started confessing things and talking with the cops.

The hitlady was supposed to be notorious for lawyering up and being cautious around the police, she even keeps her lawyer's card in her back pocket. And you'd think an agent would know his way around the law better than to start talking about murdering someone in front of a room full of potential sponsors.

He has shown that ability in previous episodes, yeah.

I'm guessing with the hit lady it was a combination of not wanting to film a scene in the interrogation room and her trying to avoid the rap for something she didn't do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

Production order is not going to be kind to this show. This was the 3rd episode and now Chloe firmly believes that Lucifer is just a normal guy and this is after people have seen the "Shoves guy 30 feet through glass" episode so anyone wanting to stick around for the meta-plot is going to quit and wait for the entire series to finish.

In this episode she just saw him turn all demon-face and still reject it. That's kind of her thing, and short of that Angel literally showing up and battling Lucifer that's probably what she's going to continue doing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

But just to add to the debate, I initially thought that Lucifer was set in a world where people weren't generally aware of the devil even as a legendary figure. If someone came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm Lucifer Morningstar," my first reaction would be, "Why did you pick a terrible name for yourself? Also, that fedora looks terrible."

People don't normally pick out their names.

Even so, the first episode had her ask him if that was a stage name.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EricFate posted:

I don't even try to pretend that it shares anything with the source material beyond the name.

Good, no one's expecting you to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Echophonic posted:

I never thought I'd laugh at the phrase "isn't it illegal to leave a child locked in a car?", but here we are.

The guy's assistant bringing out the candles in the background was the best gag of this episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Isn't that kinda the whole plot though? That he is humanizing, he is losing that aspect of himself and there are certain people who are Not Happy about it?

Yeah, but I think they would've preferred it if we started with Lucifer just exiting Hell and having to establish himself instead of already having the nightclub and such.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I wish that instead of a hot young white woman who may have magic humanizing powers they'd paired him with an older lady who's seen enough of a world to just not take his crap. Although someone who actually has the ability to put her foot down would end the premise right quick.

Aside from slightly less sexual tension I don't really see the main difference. She already shuts him down as much as she's able to, and it's not her fault he's able to (eg) escape from a locked car.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That dude can be really scary when he wants to be.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e X posted:

What i really want from the show is a short trip to hell. Or at least some demons showing up, since in the comic, they want Lucifer back in hell, too?

I don't doubt that will be something they'll focus on in the future, if given the chance.

Also, based on the episode titles He finds out about the therapist betraying him, and we might see God or a surrogate show up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope god alternates between Alanis Morissette and Morgan Freeman between shots, and it's never acknowledged.

Don't forget about Rob Benedict.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SavTargaryen posted:

I don't know if the lighting and stuff was weird this episode or if I was just more high than normal, but it seemed super weird this evening. Was it just me? I mean, good episode, but that just struck me as odd.

The green screen as mentioned was kinda wonky but that's all I really noticed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that so far, the procedural cases are super boring because there's no effort put into making them engaging. They are literally a cut and past formula that is the same every. single. episode. Down to the quips when they arrest people.

I mean, Lucifer almost talked a guy off a building in this one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think procedural is kind of a dirty word even though a lot of people would actually like the format.

For example, most of the issues I hear about The Flash are only really solved if you get rid of the overarching story and just have him be "wisecracking Barry saving the day every week".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

The problem is there's a million procedurals you can watch already. If you enjoy that stuff great, but the rest of us would like a more supernatural themed show starring the loving devil being a smarmy rear end mother fucker. Give us what we want with Lucifer, and you can continue to enjoy CSI: Ann Arbor or whatever.

It's actually pretty rare to find a non-serialized genre show. Supernatural used to be one and it's kinda been going back that way the past few seasons, but that's about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Nice, they're bringing the cop & angel story together.

Zebulon posted:

Huh. So he brought the dude back from the dead due to some machinations of his own. Wonder what he could be up to worth dragging some rear end in a top hat cop back from hell to accomplish.

Probably so he can shoot Lucifer and get away with it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

Am I the only one who was disappointed that Lucifer didn't throw himself in front of the bullet to save his "new friend", only to not be harmed by it and have the preacher call it a miracle from God?

They're probably going to save that reveal for when the dirty cop tries to kill him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

I think the biggest flaw the show has is how there's almost no supernatural elements. You have Lucifer, Maze and Amendadiel and that's it.

I'm not saying it necessarily will happen, but that's something you've kinda gotta ease into given your audience. Even Person of Interest took a while before it became "Skynet: Modern Day".

If I had to guess, if they do introduce more supernatural elements it will be after Amendadiel is defeated at the end of S1. Right now, everything is stable because God has his plan and he has someone watching over Hell while they try to get Lucifer back. If Hell suddenly becomes open or if God thinks he needs to send other elements, then you'll see a lot more weird stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Lucifer straight up told him about his mortality in the wings episode.

Yeah and then Amadiel said "oh, so I just have to wait for a mortal to go kill you. Excellent."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VendaGoat posted:

On break.

Next three weeks. april 25th is the finale.

To clarify, they're off this week but they have episodes every week after this one through the 25th.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TMMadman posted:

I've come to this conclusion as well, especially for shows that are oriented towards overarching plots or concept/theme type shows. Dumb procedurals like the CSI/Criminal Minds/Law&Order are fine doing 20+ episodes, but shows like Lucifer should stick to tighter stories told over a shorter season.

I think I've said it in TVIV before, but I'd like to see some shows that are created to only be a few short seasons long at most. Or even just some 13 episode mini series. Unfortunately, I doubt those things will happen.

A lot of shows have even reworked it so they have two mini arcs in a 22-ish episode season. Like Supernatural this season they unleashed another Ultimate Evil™, but the midseason finale involved them freeing their own version of Lucifer, which this latter half of the season is addressing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TMMadman posted:

You would have been better off going with the Law & Order shows, but that's because that stuff is the whole premise of them.

It's not explicitly emphasized in Law & Order, but the trial stuff takes place 6-8 weeks after the guy gets arrested.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"You'll make an embarrassing spectacle to help the case, it's what you do".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like them explaining why he was eating so much though, it was touching.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I really like the idea of Lucifer being a punisher of evil, not evil himself. I don't think I've seen that interpretation before.

Also, he really emphasizes the rebellious streak. Someone like (eg) Supernatural's Lucifer seems pretty resigned to the Apocalypse narrative, and his rebellion is in a very orderly way ("there must be a villain").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

How much do we know about the rebellion in the context of the show, though? Despite the source material and some mythological versions, the fall of Lucifer doesn't always involve a war in heaven.

From what it sounds like, the Rebellion in this show is more like the Islamic concept of the Devil - Lucifer disobeys, and God says "fine, we'll deal with you later but for now I need someone to tempt* and punish the wicked, so you get that job".

*I guess I figured out the major difference - this Lucifer doesn't really do temptation. Humanity fucks up all the time, and maybe Lucifer encourages it with his deals, but he doesn't outright say "sell your soul to me". It's a very interesting take on the character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

But it is kind of funny that Amenadiel, some lesser angel that no one has ever heard of, is the only one who gives a poo poo about Lucifer misbehaving.

I think part of it is that Amenadiel is running Hell right now so the system as a whole is undisturbed. Like maybe God told him "yeah if you can get Lucifer back that'd be cool, but otherwise you're on pain duty".

If you get a situation where Hell starts spilling out in the real world, then you'll see a larger response.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm really enjoying both of these teamups.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Argue posted:

So I've heard a couple of positive things about the finale. Did this show become good? Does it look like another Person of Interest where they Trojan horsed a serialized plot in the guise of a procedural?

The general dynamic has remained the same but it's evolved from "The Devil helps out on crimes because he's bored" to "The Devil is dealing with issues that frequently require him to tangle with the police".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magnusth posted:

I'm geussing she does in fact know but won't admit it yet.

Yeah, it's a "Detective Lance in the first few seasons of Arrow" situation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

My biggest complaint about this episode was the lack of the best character: Trixie.

If IMDB is accurate she should show up next episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VendaGoat posted:

As for "mum". I agree. I trust her as far as I could throw her narrow rear end. Nor should you.

That scene at the end of E2 when she just smugly looks up should tell you everything you need to know about the character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know that no one watches this show for the procedural case of the week, but this week's was extra bad, they could at least try with them. First dude falsely confesses? No need to mention that again, let's just have it be that extra who was on screen for four entire seconds earlier.

It's a well worn trope to have "police have a suspect in custody that looks good but then another crime happens".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tarlibone posted:

Let's just hope he doesn't waltz into the cop shop next week and say, "Good morning, Detective, and Officer Douche. I was feeling a little punishy when I woke up, so I wrote up this list of baddies who you don't even know about but who I do because I'm a sin-eater. I'm... well, I'm the devil, after all! So here's the list, which Maze said would look so cool written on black paper for some such reason, and first up is a little naughty boy called The Recombinator. Don't know why; nobody even knows what 'recombinate' means and even if they do, I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't do it, but I thought they needed cool-ish nicknames. I've got some... let's call them operatives... in place, so let's take him down, shall we? Chloe, I hope everything is OK with your daughter; perhaps we should explore your love life and inject a little excitement with a kidnapping?"

I wonder how many of Reddington's speeches you could have Tom Ellis say and have it fit in character.

• Locked thread