Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Okay. So I get if you were hoping for a straight-up Lucifer comic reenactment for television, you might get angry, but the ads had been up for AWHILE. You knew it was going to be a procedural. Even Gaiman knew what they were doing with his work and was fine with it; I think he even wrote about how the OMM protest was bullshit and that he liked the show.

Besides, treatment of Lucifer as no such a bad guy have been up since Paradise Lost. It isn't a new concept, but the show did it well enough, considering how lovely pilots usually are. I'm so happy Ellis chose to dump his role in Once Upon a Time and do this. He's infinitely more enigmatic in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

And the Satan of Paradise Lost is a whiny bitch with daddy issues, nobody needs more of that guy.

Some people are prone to disagreement with that statement:

Kin posted:

This show is formulaic crime solving garbage for idiots except it's already jumped the shark by making the lead the loving devil.

The likes of Supernatural did Lucifer with daddy issues much better

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

If Supergirl makes it to season 2 that will actually buck a trend.

Supergirl's been getting 1.8 in the demo, which is good enough to keep. Lucifer got a 2.4. Judging from the prime time slot behind X-Files, it's going to keep it around this range for a couple of weeks.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

They're going to run out of devil themed songs by the half-way point of the season...

That's exactly what I thought. Wish there was a playlist somewhere. CW does it with its shows, but I'm not sure FOX does.

I liked the second episode. There's a lot of complaints about procedurals, but they really do feel like easy puzzles your brain solves along with the characters and claps because it got it right in the end. I don't think this show has any grand twists in mind, but I like it and I lost Castle, so this'll do.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It'll come up later. They'll make every devil joke known to man within the season.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that they aren't really doing anything with Mazikeen.

I don't read the comics, so I have no idea who this character is besides a pissy demon who wants to go back to hell with Lucifer. She's not very likable.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I do appreciate that while there's this whole, "I'll never have sex with you," between both the male and the female of all these crime dramas (Bones, Elementary, Castle, etc) it's refreshing to see it just blatantly SAID right off the bat by one of the characters and the other completely blow him off.

You usually get that season two or something. Or season five thousand, if you're talking about Bones.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

My only thought when Jim Rash was on Lucifer:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I might be really obtuse, but is the show playing that angle? Lucifer pointed out his situation wasn't anything like the jealous guy's emotions and when he asked Chloe, she said she agreed.

Plus, he's not losing his powers. He got the judge to pick his therapist AND bring her gavel to bed.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Hell yes, renewed! There are only going to be 13 episodes this season though. I'm wondering if the next season is also going to be a short-order or are they going a full 23-24 episode series or if it's going to come out in the fall, like Lucifer was originally intended.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I just wanted to ask, that bit at the end with a knife, it seems like he hesitated after he unsheathed it before cutting himself. Had he planned to use it on Chloe?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

You know it just occured to me that this is on the same network as Sleepy Hollow. They should totally do a crossover, it would make far more sense than the Bones one.

It would have... had they not cancelled the show.

And as for God and Lilith, couldn't it be a titan? Like Gaia, but with God having taken on many names over the years?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Yah, but they are changing the actor playing Lucifer. :(

BOO!

I honestly thought you were going to pull up the actor who replaced his erstwhile character on Once Upon a Time.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It's back! So's Maze. For about two seconds, when they mentioned she was working things out with a friend, the only one I remembered she had was Trixie, and my mind just went off thinking about that dynamic. :sparkles:

But her working with the doctor makes more sense. I'm a bit worried about the introduction of the Ella Lopez. Forensic scientists always make procedurals different.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

"Word of advice, I'd lose the trenchcoat. As it stands, it's less cool brooding angel, more sort of pedophile chic."

This show. A diss to Supernatural's Castiel.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

With Vertigo tie ins, I would -love- to see what Liv and Ravi of iZombie would look like interacting with Detective Chloe and Lucifer.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Just gotta say, the soundtrack for this show is SO good, even if they use every synonym in the English language for angels and demons in song titles and use them.

Also, Trixie's character has the best child actor, you know, apart from the kids in Stranger Things. She's so cute! I'm waiting for Lucifer to finally accept a hug. I think she figured out it's going to take awhile and gave him a high-five instead.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Whoa. Apparently Joe Henderson (exec producer) got a phone call on his personal private cell tonight from a Trump supporter, bitching at him for supporting Hillary.

That's pretty god damned scary.

Holy poo poo. It's a show, people need to calm down about the messages fictional characters are saying. Tracking down a private number through a series of channels is crazy.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Something's been bothering me. It's Chloe's eye makeup. I'm sure there's a makeupy name for it, but she's got the red color fading out from her eyes and it looks like she's been crying. Like, always. Every time I see her face, if her eyes are halfway open or more, it looks like we just interrupted her during a bawling session.

I thought I was the only one bothered by this. I was thinking maybe it's the actress and it's her look in all her work, but no, a quick Google brings up roles from A Walk to Remember, Hostel, and Chicago Fire all show her looking different and varying forms of tough or evil.

I'm looking forward to them expanding on lore with her character. Maybe she's an angel, or descended from one. Maybe God's just weird and works in mysterious ways; I don't buy the "love changes Lucifer" schtick because she was a weakness way before he even knew much about her besides wanting to bone her.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Have you seen the promo for the next episode? Chloe looks like hell. She hasn't had that reaction before when hanging out with Lucifer; maybe Amenadiel is regaining his angel powers by taking her miracle one, whatever that means?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

drat, that was awful for Lucifer. Reiterating that it was a bad case-of-the-week, but great overarching plot. His, "Did you know?" to the detective was angry and heartbroken. I'm wondering if that little line at the end by the doctor mean she's going to have to face the truth, both about Lucifer actually being the devil and her being a miracle.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Closest I could think of is Dr. Holt in Scream Queens. He had his hand go through the garbage disposal, but it was played to an extreme.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

This show has no business being as good as it is. There's no news of renewal, but there should be. Really, I have no idea how the show will continue to be good if they seem to be dragging out the will they/won't they bit. Castle was hit HARD when that started to get stale. Might not happen in this series though, considering the overarching plot is so great. The whole cast seems to work wonderfully together, although I've never really been fond of Tricia Helfer's role; I just don't see her DOING anything. The whole point to manipulating the Lucifer/Chloe relationship on her and Amenadiel's end was to somehow find a way back to Heaven, but I didn't see that at all afterwards. It's like they forgot all about that line.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Zebulon posted:

I suspect that got side-tracked by her realizing he genuinely loved her and ruining things wouldn't get her what she wanted in addition to hurting her son. That and the whole literal divine miracle thing seemed to throw a huge wrench into whatever plans she had.

I see everything but that last bit. In the episode, Amenadiel tells Charlotte Chloe's a miracle, then she says they'll use it to go home. This is AFTER Chloe saved Lux for Lucifer and Chloe testified in Lucifer's favor at the trial. So Charlotte already knew they liked each other and she knew Chloe was created with God's miracle.

"Quid Pro Ho" made me think Charlotte was going to use Lucifer feeling something for Chloe and Chloe being a mystical something-or-other, maybe, to go to Heaven or wage war on God.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Hallelujah!

E: Beaten, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Really dumb question, but that's a wink wink comic book thing right?

Yep.

• Locked thread