Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This was really stupid and yet somehow strangely entertaining anyway. I'll probably keep watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gawain The Blind posted:

I liked ep 2 better than the pilot. I'm a little disappointed, not because it doesn't follow the comics, which I liked but have no idea how anyone could translate to a tv show, but because what they did make is so formulaic. I liked The Mentalist, a lot. I liked D'Onofrio's law and order show. I thought Forever was okay, I liked most of the early seasons of Elementary, I don't mind the "charming-but-weird-wise-rear end and female straight-man" formula. But If you're going to make one of your main characters literally Satan, I would hope you could come up with something a little unique for him to do. So far? Not really.

But it's an okay show and honestly I have worse poo poo in my queue.

The whole "drive people into gibbering mental asylum madness" bit is at least novel enough to be interesting, but i think they honestly might have made him dive into 'good guy' a bit too fast - the more 'human' he gets the less you get the more interesting moments like the last bit of episode 2 or kidnapping two suspects from police custody to try and make them kill each other. I honestly would have preferred him to be a bit less genuine about the pop star in the first episode and have his empathy be more of a gradual thing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Why should the Devil be a one-dimensional lord of evil? Imagine if you were a banished angel.

I wasn't meaning that he should be a one dimensional lord of evil but just more detached and amoral. It just struck me how weirdly genuinely emotional he apparently was with a random druggie pop star he made a deal with a few years ago even before she died. After being the lord of hell for an eternity you'd think he'd not be so quick to get emotional about random humans.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Medullah posted:

In the books (Sandman, pre-Lucifer series), when Lucifer decides to abandon Hell he gives the key to Morpheus (The Sandman) to give away to whom he feels is the best candidate. Spoiler for a 25 year old comic - in the end, he gives the key to hell to the two angels, Duma and Remiel, who were sent to watch the proceedings of entities competing for Hell. Remiel is initially horrified that he has to leave Heaven to take over, but comes to realize that he can do good for the damned souls. Amenadiel kind of strikes me as a parallel to Remiel.

Having never read the comic, those two panels make it look like he flew over the horrific torture, tapped a torturer on the back, told him that he can keep doing the same horrible tortures for all eternity, but now it's for a good reason, and flew off feeling like he did a good thing without actually changing anything at all.

• Locked thread