Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

They didn't spend that much time on the procedural part in this episode imo. It wasn't the focus, but rather mainly a backdrop for Lucifer and Decker. Compare it to something like Castle, where the mystery is the emphasis. I feel like it's moving away from procedural at a sort of similar clip as Justified.

I thought this episode was pretty well written, though the fight scene was pretty bad and would have been much better used to reveal the Mazikeen from the comic. The letting Decker see more so she just starts to believe a little bit but then is able to injure him so she doesn't anymore is a smart move that could potentially set up some interesting directions to go in. I liked that Lucifer is simultaneously completely charming yet a babe in the woods now that he's been rejected. Also, loved that this of all shows made fun of PUA and as always there are some excellent lines: "I can arrange that, actually."

P.S. Metro is a thing you goony fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Harry posted:

He's a high profile (supposedly) nightclub owner in LA. I'm guessing this isn't too weird?

It's really, really not. That choice in particular would lead to some rolled eyes, but the whole "name yourself brand yourself" thing is very real. I would assume it's a failed attempt at a clever play on temptation and not blink twice.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Etalommi posted:

They didn't spend that much time on the procedural part in this episode imo. It wasn't the focus, but rather mainly a backdrop for Lucifer and Decker. Compare it to something like Castle, where the mystery is the emphasis. I feel like it's moving away from procedural at a sort of similar clip as Justified.

Called it.

Snak posted:

When I ran out of Lucifer to watch, I finally went and checked out iZombie. While it's got a slightly lighter tone, it's really great, and I would urge anyone who likes this genre and hasn't checked it out yet to give it a shot. I was really, really resistant to the idea due to the marketing and my preconceptions about it, but I'm 6 episodes in and loving it. I just thought I would bring it up here since we are still several days left before we can get our Luci fix again.

iZombie is on break right now, but yeah, it's amazing. Really, really well cast and acted, tons of small brilliant moments, good plot and story arcs, and a ton of snark. Much as I like the style of Lucifer, it's not as good a show. I did find the start of season 2 a bit weak, but it found it's legs again pretty fast and I'd say that most of the best episodes are fairly recent.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Plus she likes him. Real people do things they know they shouldn't and miss things that they should catch around/about people they have a crush on all the time. It doesn't exactly require a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.

Edit: him being Amenadiel.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 3, 2016

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Well no one has done any damage to him besides Decker and the angel. He's assumed that it's just him losing his powers, but his other powers didn't work on her either.

The door guy not letting them in for a bribe might be a sign that his powers are going away, though.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think Amenadiel healed the cop for a play, not out of the goodness of his heart. There is no indication the confrontation took place near where the cop was, there is a hospital full of sick and injured around him. Unless he healed them all, he chose that cop for reason.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Unless he burnt the fake ones and tricked Amenadiel, in which case it sets the believability of that up. It at least leaves things open ended for them to decide later.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Broadchurch does the whole shebang, though the season with the trial kinda sucked.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was kinda disappointed that glutton cop hadn't even considered that murder would eventually lead him back to hell until Luci pointed it out. You'd think after what he went through figuring out exactly what to avoid to not go back to hell would be a major priority for him. I also hope if he lasts a few seasons that he gains weight like hell, now what we know it's just a mental thing causing him to eat so drat much now.

He was offered a deal to get out of hell. He probably wasn't in the right frame of mind to truly analyze it, and after he was free the angel who let him go told him that he'd be killed if he didn't follow through. It's not like he had a whole lot of options to mull over.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Plus she can Uber if she needs to get anywhere.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I agree.

It's only possible because they are coming from a perspective of modern morality and separate sin from evil. Which I appreciate.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I'm sorry but your picture books for manchildren are written by people who can't even manage to spit out dan brown levels of coherent, interesting writing. If they could they wouldn't be writing comic books.

You do know the world is originally Neil Gaiman's, right? An author of many books that are both critically acclaimed and incredibly popular?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've missed this show. I'm looking forward to seeing how the balance of procedural and serial work out this time, and to how far they go with the supernatural.

tarlibone posted:

And even on principal, when asked a hypothetical question about what she'd do if she could prove God exists, she's like, "what's the point? Then, we wouldn't need faith." I'm fairly confident that no real-world Christian would immediately come to that conclusion.

FWIW I've heard something along these lines many times. Remember, she doesn't know that it's not a purely hypothetical question.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

tarlibone posted:

I know. That's why I said she was asked a hypothetical question--from her (the CSI: Satan lady) perspective, it was a purely hypothetical question. She has no reason to believe it's anything but hypothetical.

Which means that the way she answered it made sense. Have you really never heard any of "the point of faith is faith" style rhetoric?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snak posted:

I've only ever heard it from characters in positions like this though. I've never heard a real Christian say anything like that. It's like the tiredest cliche.

It's nit a big deal though I used to it. I was really hoping she'd say "of course I'd test the ultimate hypothesis! I'm a scientist!"

Maybe it's that most of the devout Christians I'm friends with are fairly liberal and come from the same Christian college where they did theological philosophy, but I've heard plenty of stuff along those lines.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This episode they hit their stride again. The last two episodes were the weakest and second weakest respectively, but this was fun.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Him being monogamous is fine, I would have loved if he wasn't just sleeping with models

I think it makes sense from the perspective of this story. While he tried super hard to make them have the best time possible, it was never about them, it was about his ability to do so. Chloe is the first human he's cared about the thoughts of, beyond that they were sufficiently impressed with him. They could have had his superficiality go more than skin deep and include particularly important, talented, or intelligent individuals, but that's both hard to represent in a minute or two of television time and not the default understanding of carnal superficiality.

Though it does run counter to Lucifer's established willingness to use sex to get what he wants like with Linda.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 20, 2017

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This case of the week was so bad. The world-renowned thoracic surgeon is the one who mangles themselves? They are forced to deal with the fact that you can't save everyone, are trained in triage, and would understand that they save more lives by continuing their craft. Her just following through with no outside discussion (besides the "what would you do?") was not believable.

The shows still great outside of the episodic stuff though.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I wonder if he actually married Candi, it would have been weird to have him spend a whole episode actively lying like that.

Yeah, isn't one of his things that he never tells a lie? I kind of want to do a full rewatch and see if it's all word games, lies of omission, and letting people draw the wrong conclusion.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

The writing of these last two episodes doesn't seem as good to me compared to last season. Did they get different writers or something? Am I the only one?

This is part of the network fuckery set of episodes. Won't be normal until 3 into the next season.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

He has a bunch of wounds when he wakes up with his wings, too. I think the time has passed and we'll have flashbacks during the start of the season suggestion is the right one.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Argue posted:

Hello, I asked in here last year but I am interested in watching this and wanted to know how it's progressed. Is this show largely case of the week like CSI, case of the week with B-plots that delve into bigger arcs like iZombie/Veronica Mars, or is this a Person of Interest deal where it slowly abandons all pretense of being a procedural in favor of doing a story with far bigger stakes?

So far it's been about like iZombie except the case-of-the-week takes a bit more of a backseat sometimes and gets incorporated into the main plot arcs more often.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This last episode (3.2) was one of my least favorite of the entire series. The music was really good, there were some solid lines, but overall it sucked. Making Smallville carry story weight when he can't act his way out of a cardboard box seems like a terrible idea. Can we get more Maize and/or Trixie instead, please?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This episode was way better.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I assume that we've been getting so much Ella because they've not been able to use Maize (Lesley-Ann Brandt's pregnancy) and Trixie (because the erratic production order would make it look like she was ageing weirdly, maybe?)

Ah well hopefully they add some other supporting cast members that wouldn't be out acted by a cardboard cutout of themselves, and they have Ella go through some proper character development and tone down a bit.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah this episode continued to underscore the massive difference in quality between season 2 (which this was shot as part of) and season 3.

I hope they can fix whatever is going wrong, I love this show when it is firing on all cylinders but the diminished version is sad and uncomfortable. Stop retreading the dad thing every loving episode, get rid of wooden captain, let's have some real character development again.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This episode was incredible. Good TV all around. It makes me so sad about how season 3 has been shaping up outside of the preshot episodes.

P.S. It's interesting how we have two shows out in the last couple years where Hell is looping through your worst memory over and over again.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

grack posted:

Case sucked, interplay between characters was way, way better. So, an improvement from most of Season 3 so far.

Yup. The Amazing Cardboard Cutout Man became a real boy this episode.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The dynamic this episode was really bad, but at the end it looks like they're going another direction with it? Hopefully.

RIP Maize and Trixie duo :sadwave:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't get this line of thinking. Sure, delayed gratification can work, but putting a show on a holding pattern for an entire season and then promising that the next season will be awesome seems like the perfect way to not get to make that season. loving hell, just escalate poo poo, how hard can it be.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm fine with it being less supernatural as long as the writing is tight and it's not will they/won't they for 10 episodes.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The save Lucifer campaign forgot to add "and make it good".

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

wormil posted:

My father taught me a number of positive traits like charity, resilience, assertiveness, compassion, respect, duty, taking care of family, etc.;

Those are "being a decent person" and have nothing to do with gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I didn't like Cain, am OK with Ella, and liked Charlotte a lot.

• Locked thread