Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Caryna posted:

You comic book people are the worst. This show is entertaining and Hell of a lot of fun.

Did you guys whine and complain when Dresden Files was made into a TV show and the result was nothing like the books at all? :v:

I think they mostly complained because it was a bad show, hence it getting cancelled like instantly. Good lead though. Oh hey, you could say the same about Lucifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, nobody gives a poo poo that it isn't following the comics or that they are making the devil less of an evil figure, they care that it's another loving rote cop drama trying to be sold on the strength of it's lead. When people start unironically making the terrible show ideas from 30 Rock [And the difference between this and "God Cop" is razor thin], it's not a great sign.

And the Satan of Paradise Lost is a whiny bitch with daddy issues, nobody needs more of that guy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Why? If you don't like this sort of show, and you aren't a big fan of the comic who's disappointed that it isn't that, what's your investment? There's tons of stuff on TV, just don't watch this show if you don't want to. :confused:

Because for every show like this that gets made, another show isn't. That's how it works, they need X amount of time filled and they order up the series who think will work best. It's not like if this didn't get made nothing would, bland cliche poo poo actively takes away time that would have went to something else. Then there are secondary issues, like how some people feel this is now a vaguely genre vaguely comic book show, so if it fails nobody is going to think it's because it was another loving cookie cutter male lead with wacky quirk bounces off more stoic female lead yawn-fest. They'll think it's because it's a comic book show. And so forth. People can be mildly invested in shows they hate when they actively influence the entire landscape of television watching. "Quirky male lead with [blank] special issue bounces off more stoic female lead" is pretty deep in the fabric of the tv landscape, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't piss people off when producers think it's a magic formula that will ensure success.

Pan Dulce posted:

Some people are prone to disagreement with that statement:

Supernatural works because it's explicitly about the daddy issues, and also it's not a "No, gently caress you dad" Satan. It's a Satan that loves God and hates Man for their incompetence, stupidity, and weakness. When you acknowledge a Satan that is explicitly a wounded child, at least you are actually dealing with the themes at play. When you pretend someone is a charismatic rebel when all they want is a loving hug from the old man? Not so much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, but almost certainly not something you'd think was any better. :shrug:

Like 30 years ago that was more of a point, but now even random Joes can get some idea of what pilots are being shopped around. So you can objectively say "Somebody passed on this idea, and gave a spot to this one instead". And of course just because a cast and crew is filled with folks you like doesn't mean that the finished product works, but it's something. Especially to folks who already know they don't like what's shown of a show that did get picked up. I mean it's not my bag of tea, but something like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got shopped around to basically everyone before the CW picked it up, and it's lead won a Golden Globe and Critics Choice Award. When good tv gets ignored so people can make cliche pap, it's annoying to anyone that likes interesting tv.

quote:

Pretty sure in 2016 "comic book show" and "police procedural with a quirky lead" are seen as about equally good bets and that's not likely to change any time soon.

You say that, but for the longest time there's been ABC airing badly performing pity shows from God Disney, Netflix prestige dramas, and the CW and it's DC block. Everything else sucked wind and failed inside a year. If Supergirl makes it to season 2 that will actually buck a trend.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Oh Jesus, that thing. I really did manage to forget it existed for awhile. Thanks for reminding me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

who cares if its a procedural when there is a witty character as one of the leads?

Literally the sales pitch of every single one of these shows.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Titan posted:

I haven't read the comics, I know shame on me. In them didn't it turn out Hell was a gift from God? Being the farthest place from him. Hell just kind of grew around him because of his hatred?

Pretty much Dude got exactly what he wanted, and all the consequences that came from it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Snak posted:

In the book of Enoch

I've always wanted to use this correctly in a comic thread:

NOT CANON.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Now. Attempt to, for even the briefest of seconds, empathize with a being that was designed to look the most powerful thing, in all of existence, in the eye and tell it, "No".

I've dealt with small children before, it's not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

sassassin posted:

Then why did you quote it?

It keeps people from deleting the stupid poo poo they say when they sober up. It's basically God's work.

• Locked thread