Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I kinda expected that this would depart pretty sharply from the comic, given what it is, and I think I can be okay with that. No point in being bitter that it won't be verbatim, as much as I'd love it.

Rather enjoyed it for what it was overall. Will forever be disappointed that Lux isn't a classy piano bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
In particular, ownership of Hell was solved in Sandman, before Lucifer moved to LA and opened Lux. I guess it's a decent enough metaplot for a TV show though (and far simpler, for sure).

But yeah, as of the pilot the resemblance is very superficial. Names and places, mostly, and the broad idea of Lucifer's character. The actor is compelling in the role, but it's definitely not the Lucifer of the comics.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Agents of SHIELD has me unreasonably optimistic that something that starts as a rote procedural can get blown the hell up and become more (and also be super-awesome at the same time).

Probably won't happen, or at least not to that degree, but I want to believe.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I enjoyed it. It's still not the comic, but then again they couldn't get David Bowie to play Lucifer so it'd never have been right anyway.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda surprised we aren't getting people going crazy since they showed Maz's demon face in the last episode.
Eh. Yeah. I mean, it wouldn't have taken much effort to actually make her look like her, but on the other hand Lucifer doesn't look like David Bowie so it's already lost.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
In the comics, (well, in Sandman - Lucifer itself starts after Dream cuts his wings off) he did have bat wings in Hell. At some point his actual feathery angelic wings had ended up elsewhere and I don't exactly remember how that all worked. Been a while since I've read 'em.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Probably not. But a lot more determined to get him back to work, absolutely. I've a strange feeling it will all come full circle with the thing Lucifer said in the pilot episode of "I'm looking forward to eating your heart one day."
It's been a while since I've read them (I should rectify that, thinking about it), but I'm pretty sure that was a reference to the comics. Although I guess that doesn't rule out it being foreshadowing.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
OTOH, based on the source material this is absolutely the IP to do theological and existential debates with.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The last episode really made me a bit sad for the loss of Father Frank. SOMEbody has to needle Lucifer about the biblical allusions, but it seems like the entire cast happens to be staunch atheists.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

Actually, we know that at least at first he was still immortal, since the record producer shot him a few times as Chloe was bleeding out.
As opposed to the "nephilim in some manner" theory, it could be possible that whatever he did to save her in that situation is the root cause.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It all comes down to what counts as a lie, really. Is he literally unable to say something that he doesn't believe? Or does it count intent, so he can use irony? Or is it just a matter of preference, that he likes to be deceptive without outright lying? He was clearly stringing her along a bit before telling her the truth, so there are plenty of loopholes regardless of the exact rule.
Lucifer doesn't lie as an honour thing, it's not a literal restriction. The comics have a great line about it:

"When the Devil wants you to do something, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to Hell."

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I was wondering what good the coin would do if he dies. Great, he comes back from hell, but what does that do for him? Does he become immortal?
Or why he was all "don't forget I have your coin, bro!" to Lucifer in the last episode. If Lucifer is okay with killing him once, do you really think he'll be anything other than annoyed at having to do it again to make it stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Here I was thinking that we're right back in comics territory with the "Lucifer does a job for God" thing, but "mom" is a giant swerve back away.

My initial reactionary thought was Lilith, but that doesn't make sense for any number of reasons. At least one of which doesn't have to do with the comics, even.

• Locked thread