Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Desperado Bones posted:

Me too. :devil:

So, according to the promo for the second episode Is he going to start turning mortal? Losing his powers or something? I hope is not a single episode problem and is gradually happening through the series.

I'm on the fence. Lucifer (the actor and character) was ... okay, he's enjoying it and that's good. He was fun. The girl cop (actress and character) was actually pretty good. But the writers laid it on too heavy that she is "special". I realize subtlety is uncommon in Prime Time but it was really heavy. The rest was kinda mediocre. He's the loving devil, I sort of expect some badassery and frankly even more arrogance.

Also if he turns mortal, I'm out, because there is nothing left at that point except buddy cop show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It would be nice if, "I am the devil -- for reals!!" was something other than the vision of a bloody face. Why does the devil need to be ugly? I'm guessing that later maybe they show him to be less ugly. But a glimpse of punishment to come (or implied, but this show has no subtlety) would be better. My teen daughter likes it, my wife thinks it's poo poo, I'm still on the fence.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pentyne posted:

It's a cheap SFX that's not too expensive to do and conveys the point of hell-terror (like Hellraiser). That's all.

Implication is cheaper than visual effects.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flayer posted:

. It was kinda touched on with the shot of a man in Lucifers bed after a 3-some

He made the Eiffel tower reference which gives the character an out. But yeah, the way he speaks comes off as stereotypically British gay man.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My daughters are enthralled by this show, it's genius. The suave male lead to crush on and the tough and independent female lead that young girls want to identify with. I'm alternately bored by the buddy cop storyline but amused by the 'God has a plan for everyone and even Lucifer can find forgiveness and redemption' storyline. And Lucifer with his daddy issues, nostalgic moments with Amenadiel, and the psychiatrist that is just too convenient. I would have stopped watching about halfway through S1 but I'm glad I kept at it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Snak posted:

. It feels like the heavenly host doesn't really give much of a poo poo that Lucifer has left hell with a demon and they are messing around on earth. Amenadiel is the only who seems to care, and it kind of seems like the only reason he cares is because he is supposed to be doing Lucifer's job in hell, which he is also shirking.

It's all part of God's plan. He works in mysterious ways. ;)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

esb posted:

Teleports away and she says search the area he couldnt have got far?

Sure, tell a dozen cops that the devil is real, British, runs a night club, and escaped through magic? Bye bye, enjoy your career as a meter maid when they assume you've had a mental breakdown.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lucifer is supposed to be beautiful, not Freddy Krueger with road rash.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Astrofig posted:

Sing to me, sweet Satan!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

My mom is a rather devout christian and shes said that to me :shrug:

You are in a weird place with your family, but now I want you to sing to me. :allears:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Never read the comic but the show seems to be building toward a second rebellion.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wish they wouldn't show Lucifer's devil face, or hire an artist that could make it scary. First time he looked like bacon, this time he looked like an amateur version of Freddy Krueger. Minor complaint though, I really like this show, especially the last two episodes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like subtlety, I would prefer to only see their reaction and use my imagination. Also I don't get why he has to be ugly. Isn't Lucifer do supposed to be beautiful.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoggPickle posted:

Maybe a flash to just HER face and her reaction alone would have been better, ...

Maybe a brilliant light followed by orange flickering reminiscent of fire, reflected in her pupils. I'm guessing they are playing off man and angels are made in god's image thing. Whatever, it's a minor complaint because the show is cool and different and I enjoy it considerably.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sometimes. Some shows pick a random character and last minute evidence reveals the killer. Elementary works that way. I ignore the crime of the week, it's just filler. At least Lucifer sometimes uses it to work thru his issues.

The new CSI girl is annoying, she needs to go.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tiggum posted:

This was the best episode so far. Lucifer aping Dan was fantastic, and Mazikeen finally seems to have a reason to be in the show.

I don't really like Dan but him making fun of Lucifer during improv was amusing. But I couldn't wait for Lucifer to get back to himself.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My take on the knife is it destroys the angel equivalent of the "soul" (or maybe souls are the same in angels and humans?), they are dead and gone and there is no coming back. As for killing God, going after the king is always risky, especially when the king is omnipotent or nearly so.

The mythology here seems to be pinching a little from the Greeks and "Mom" is roughly equivalent to Chaos. She does seem to stir up trouble.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lucifer has always been truthful about his identity, so technically she did know.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Snak posted:

I doesn't matter if he was telling the truth, she didn't know.

Didn't you read my post, I just said she did.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It sounds like the problem with being an angel is there is no upward mobility, no promotions, just down. God is not very good at this, he needs to attend a seminar on motivating employees.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How did this show end up being so good. In the beginning we could barely stand to watch it and now it's my family's favorite show. The women love Maze, love Chloe, love Trixie, love Doc Martin, really love Lucifer, and I think they are developing a healthy respect for Mum. My wife is confused over Amenadiel, she can't decide if he's a "good guy" or "bad guy". They are confused by Dan, one episode they hate him, the next they love him. I think he's great. Last episode really helped csi girl but I'm still on the fence.

In this last episode they stopped putting dark eye makeup on Chloe and she's beautiful.

My super-religious in-laws came to visit and we watched Lucifer. I thought they would poo poo bricks but their reaction was -- confused. I think they liked it but didn't want to say so.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Another thing is the characters are always true to themselves. Plot happens because of them, rather than the other way around.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In one scene Chloe's hair and makeup up was the same as Tricia Helfer's last season. Then coincidentally Tricia Helfer is in next week's episode.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This episode is out of order. Not sure when it should have aired, I don't pay that close attention.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Lord Bude posted:

No, according to the production codes the episode we saw this week was in order. The next two episodes however are from the ones they had filmed at the end of last season.

There was the throwaway line about the new LT in the hospital but that could have been shot later. But it doesn't fit into this spot on the timeline. I'm starting to wonder if a few of the episodes weren't re-shot, or maybe scenes from different episodes mixed around, that would explain why Chloe's appearance is different scene to scene. In one scene she's wearing pink lipstick and pretty girl face, in the next her eyes are dark again and lips are a natural color, cheekbones more prominent. Her clothing style switches up. She and Lucifer seem to have completely lost interest in one another. I'm a dude, and if I'm noticing it, it's pretty obvious. I could be wrong and the show has some clever underplot that is yet to be revealed, like Mum is possessing Chloe on the sly, but I doubt it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aleph Null posted:

She's over this poo poo. I don't blame her.

Yeah, feelings are like that, you just turn them on and off.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aleph Null posted:

Are you not a human being?

Look at Dan, that's realistic storytelling. There is no indication storywise, nor anything in Chloe's expressions that she is trying to get over Lucifer. In this episode they were dead to each other and that is an inconsistency in the storytelling and this show is typically better than that. I kept hoping there was some master plan with Chloe that would explain her strange behavior but I'm starting to think maybe it's the actress.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

grack posted:

Also Ella, still not all that interesting, though she did show a poo poo-ton of skin.

I feel bad for her but she has zero charisma and no on screen chemistry with the cast.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hell wasn't voluntary for Mom.

Reeve's hell actually happened at some point. The first iteration we see could be the original or part of hell, but it doesn't matter.

Awesome episode.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It was an okay episode. I'd like more Lucifer and less CSI girl.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They play with her make up all the time. For a long time her eyes were darkened to look deeper.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I thought they were darkened to make it look like she wasn't getting enough sleep with all the weird poo poo going on.

Well those aren't mutually exclusive.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All these episodes out of order really hosed up the narrative and the quality going up and down doesn't help. And yeah, the rape scene was hosed up. They need to get their heads screwed on straight.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Darko posted:

Rape scene?

The litmus test is switch genders. A woman is kidnapped and tied to a bed against her will. A man threatens to torture her then has sex with her. He leaves the room and smugly says her crying is tears of joy. Would most people call it rape?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sassassin posted:

Was anyone else hoping Ella would get shot? And then instead of a big weepy funeral for her she'd just never get mentioned again?

That would be fantastic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They can do a crossover with Bosch.
kidding
edit; oops, I am dumb. Expanse is Amazon, Lucifer is Netflix.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 16, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Maybe the Devil will act like a devil again instead of whiny half of buddy cop.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sassassin posted:

I can't believe someone considered this worth saving. 3 seasons was way more than enough.

Honestly I feel the same way. It can be good, but they really need to almost reboot. Someone needs to sit down and figure out what Chloe is, who she is, what she looks like, where they want her to go, and how Lucifer fits into her story. Because that character has been all over the place, her makeup changes, her personality changes, her wardrobe style changes. Turn Dan back into a man. Make Mazikeen fun again. Make Lucifer the punisher of sin again. Stop forgetting that Trixie exists, (when people have kids, those kids are a constant part of their lives). Recast Ella or get Aimee Garcia acting lessons. Make Amenadiel less whiny. Basically fix all the watered down or aimless characters.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ElCondemn posted:

Man, why watch the show at all if this is how you feel? I really enjoy the whole cast and their roles in the show. My only complaints are about how long they milk a premise, I would love it if they would pull the trigger on reveals and story arcs more quickly.

I suppose a lot of people were fans of the first season and the comics and just don't like where it's gone.

S1 was pretty good and they've had great standalone episodes. I originally wrote twice as much as I posted and in there was a blurb that I had deleted the timer but my oldest daughter wanted to watch it so I made a new timer and that sucked us back in as a family. But yeah, I hate where the show has gone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by, "Turn Dan back into a man"? Seems like a weird criticism.

It's not weird at all. I do not know nor have I met any grown man, especially not a police officer, that acts the way Dan acts. And don't ask me how Dan acts, if you watch the show, you know how he acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ElCondemn posted:

It is a weird criticism, there are lots of men who act like him. You just have a problem with that behavior, luckily the show creators are a bit more enlightened about gender roles.

No they're not, they are not at all. He's a watered down, wishy washy, angsty, passive, and over emotional TV image of a man in a position where A-type personalities are the norm.

• Locked thread