Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

seaborgium posted:

Depends on if the guns were licensed, but there's probably something. It's the Devil though, he'll lawyer up and be out of it shortly.

I'm liking this Devil, but I keep thinking back to John Glover and Ray Wise. I kind of prefer the smirking, can be really petty but would be decent to you if you were decent to him kind of Devil.

Mark Pellegrino has pretty much ruined anyone else playing Lucifer. His performance in season 5 of Supernatural was pretty much perfect.

I'm giving this show a chance ignoring the fact that I'm a huge fan of the comic, and so far it just seems like Constantine 2, with a smarmier lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Echophonic posted:

"Lucifer, this is all your fault! I wish I'd never met you!" - everyone in this show

Smarmy British reply "Really? Is that what you TRULY wish? Tell me..."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EricFate posted:

Been a long time since I read the Sandman books, but I seem to recall Duma and Remiel had it pretty well covered after Lucifer left. Of course, if they decide to do the Elaine Belloc story arc, that could go right out the window.

I can't see them going the Elaine route. Doesn't fit the feel of the book. Likely the cop is his secret daughter or something, possibly they'll say her original name before given up for adoption was Elaine. That's about as far as I can see them going.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Any goon looking for some breaking bad type drama should probably leave now.

But what do you REALLY want us to do?

I too am bummed about the episode order being mixed up so we know there's no big surprises coming, but oh well. I'll keep giving it a chance, it's enjoyable at least.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

In comic books, Nephilim are basically the kids of any angel and any human, though they tend to be fallen angels that were the fathers because of the whole disobeying God thing.

It's a possibility that the lady detective is a replacement for the Elaine Belloc character in the books (sign of true old age, can't remember the cops name and I watched an episode last night, yet remember Elaine from a book I read 10 years ago).

In the books, Elaine is a young girl that Lucifer is interested in for some mysterious reason, and it turns out that she's exactly that, the daughter of Michael, the only angel who can procreate .

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wahad posted:

Chloe Decker.

I never understood goons' tendency to forget show characters' names just 'cause the show isn't great.

I don't remember half the characters names in shows I watch. Game of Thrones is one of my favorite shows and I can easily tell you the names of the main Lannisters and Starks, but all the secondary characters? Nope. I have an atrocious memory for that stuff.

Yet can tell you every character from the Dragonlance books I read when I was 8...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snak posted:

This episode is the first time Amenadiel has been fleshed out and I really liked what they did.

When we first see him, he's all righteous and superior. He schemes and plots because he believes that he knows what is best and that he is doing God's work. He hates Lucifer's insolence and irresponsibility. But in this episode, we see him more vulnerable. ”Fall as I did!" is a really powerful moment, because even though it doesn't change Amenadiel's opinion of Lucifer, it opens his eyes to self reflection and he sees how thinking that you are right about something can lead you down a blasphemous path.

Like it never occurred to him that it was possible for him to defy God without doing it intentionally.

In the books (Sandman, pre-Lucifer series), when Lucifer decides to abandon Hell he gives the key to Morpheus (The Sandman) to give away to whom he feels is the best candidate. Spoiler for a 25 year old comic - in the end, he gives the key to hell to the two angels, Duma and Remiel, who were sent to watch the proceedings of entities competing for Hell. Remiel is initially horrified that he has to leave Heaven to take over, but comes to realize that he can do good for the damned souls. Amenadiel kind of strikes me as a parallel to Remiel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Where'd he even find the case, what's it supposed to hold anyway?

Standard iPhone 6s case, I think

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Lucifer prop department was able to come up with that case, and you can bet they had a smaller budget and less time than crazy antiquities scam artist man.

Hahaha this is literally the best point made on this.

Edit - This is a pretty good show. And I am a huge fan of the book so I came in salty as hell.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 23, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snak posted:

Am I the only one who was disappointed that Lucifer didn't throw himself in front of the bullet to save his "new friend", only to not be harmed by it and have the preacher call it a miracle from God?

At this point Lucifer (at least believes he isn't) isn't invulnerable. He is actually relatively scared of dying and going back to Heck.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snak posted:

That means we still have:
Musician/Record Producer

Lawyer
Small Business Owner

left for this season.

Did we do High School Homicide yet?

Did you miss the pilot?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I actually though all the stuff with Padre Pederast and Lucifer was some great character growth.

I honestly teared up at the end when Luci was playing Stairway to Heaven.

Wasn't he playing Knockin' on Heaven's Door?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Yes he was, brain fart while posting whee

Yeah, the music is as subtle as a unicorn making GBS threads rainbows, but Lucifer isn't exactly a subtle guy. :haw:

Don't worry, Stairway To Heaven will be on eventually.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. The two of them playing the piano together is the first time I really liked Lucifer as a character.

It also was about the closest they've come to him being like the comic version of him. (which again, doesn't bother me it's different, just pretending it's not based on the comic)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snak posted:

I also really liked that he played with Chloe at the end.

He's starting to recognize the good in people.

Dramatic voice - "Come now, he's always been able to recognize the good in others, but perhaps now he's recognizing the good in..... HIMSELF!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Titan posted:

That's a solid theory. When he saved her maybe he had to give her some of his "Grace"

Supernatural fan spotted

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

drat that Angela

I groaned a bit when they brought out the Maz "daggers that can hurt Lucifer and Amenadiel" bit, that's getting a bit TOO close to Supernatural territory. :(

I'm really surprised how enjoyable this show is...I was so angry they were adapting one of my favorite books into a crap TV show, it was a pleasant surprise that it's genuinely enjoyable.

At least my pessimism still has to look forward to Preacher being ruined, and then American Gods later on down the road...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Boo This Man posted:

I hope that Neil Gaiman is brought in to help write and give the show direction. I would want to see Constatine and the Endless introduced.

Please no. They decided to ignore the source material and somehow made a good product. Trying to incorporate the source material back in will lead to disaster.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Astrofig posted:

Brimstone!

Oh man, now I want a lineup scene where Lucifer is standing with Ray Wise, John Glover, and Mark Pellegrino. Hell, throw Peter Stormare in there too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I hope they don't do Lilith. :( Supernatural already went that direction...let's do something orginal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Someone mentioned that it would be cool if the escapee from Hell was someone like Judas and it got me thinking, this show is more like the comic Chronicles of Wormwood than the comic Lucifer. It has the base premise of Lucifer abandoning hell, but the actual character reminds me quite a bit of Danny Wormwood. Son of the devil who doesn't really like the whole plan that he start the apocalypse, so he says gently caress it and just lives his life.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nice music choice for the BSG nerds watching for Helfer. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nah it needs a Family Guy cutaway to Azrael trying to take someone out and pulling a stick out of his sheath. Shakes fist angrily.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Azrael is the angel of death, aka the one God sends out to do stuff like kill all the first born sons of Egypt. Death is of the Endless, one of 7 beings that are personifications of universal constants.

And honestly I'm kind of disappointed that Lucifer is going with Azrael. There are a million other angels they could have used, but no, they have to go with the same name that Gotham decided to desecrate too. :(

muscles like this! posted:

Azrael is the angel of death, aka the one God sends out to do stuff like kill all the first born sons of Egypt. Death is of the Endless, one of 7 beings that are personifications of universal constants.

Correct, except of course in Vertigo comics the regular Angel of Death retired in the 1800s and melted down his sword....

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

I bought the five book collection off of Amazon. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY FOX! :argh:

For Lucifer? It's an amazing series but don't expect it to be anything like the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Wait! WHOA! Hold up a second.

You're saying that a book and a movie or show isn't going to be the same?

SHOCKED! I'M SHOCKED AND APPALLED! I have half a mind to write a sternly worded letter to my congressman!

The difference between this one and, say, Preacher is that Lucifer just throws away the source and became a good show in it's own right. Preacher went a completely different direction than the comic except it tries to keep name recognition and became a mess. Walking Dead is a bit different because Kirkman is heavily involved so the books are written with the show in mind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Titan posted:

God has been trying for untold millennia to create Batman. He has yet to be successful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nawcom posted:

good ol' stephen lynch. wonder what he's doing these days

He was doing the Wedding Singer musical for a while, but still regularly tours. Though the last few shows I've been to are more of a production and didn't have the same feeling of spontaneity that his older shows did. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

CSI chick still cutest girl in this show tia.

Here's hoping she's learned how to eat a salad properly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zebulon posted:

That was an amazing episode. Amanadiel actually feeling confident and sure of himself and just standing as an iron wall against security while framed against that doorway was a beautiful shot and I kept expecting to see his wings just burst out of his back from him finally feeling worthy of them again.

That was an amazing scene. He played it perfectly, the determination and grit - no more doubting himself, he realizes Lucifer has been right all along.

Show is better than it had any right to be.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

grack posted:

All that and none of you mention Ella being awesome?

I dunno, I've seen the "Good girl with a bad past meeting up with her criminal element friend/relative" trope about a billion times. She's definitely doing a good job, but she has to work a bit harder.

Dexter hurt a lot of us, man.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Preacher to me is the exact opposite of Lucifer. Completely changed the characters and their driving motivations from the comic, but still tried to "remain faithful" to the source which led to a pretty bad show. If they had just gone full blown "screw the comics" like Lucifer it probably would have been a lot better.

Some people really love it. If you didn't like the first few episodes it's not going to change for you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This is Lucifer's eventual conclusion in the comic series. Midway through he creates his own universe to rule over and do a better job than God only to realize that this, too, is part of God's plan because Lucifer is still God's creation. The series eventually ends the only way it could after this: God's successor grants Lucifer's final wish and releases him from all of Creation, symbolically releasing him from the author's creation too and thus ending the series.

Only to bring the book back "ruining" a great ending

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I saw that right away. Seemed weird to have an ad for another network's show unless someone just messed up and didn't edit out a real billboard

Wouldn't have been a "real" billboard, but probably something they used before and didn't edit the code to have a different show on it. Though who knows, Networks are no longer competing against each other, they SHOULD be banding together to fight streaming. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Polygynous posted:

I was assuming it was something he did, it's just muddled by a random mugger possibly getting ~*~mysterious ways-ed~*~ into existence to bonk him on the head after he leaves the message. Which will presumably be explained in the fall. :shrug:

I assumed it was Maze that clocked him and left him in the desert to burn as payback for Linda getting burned.

Also, the end was kind of a nice nod to the comics which ended with Lucifer abandoning reality to create his own universe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was gonna complain about how they seemed to have turned forensics lady into a dumb caricature this season, but I forgot this was leftover from last season. Was she really this bad last season?

Bad salad eating girl never left, she just went into hiding for a bit

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I was very uncomfortable with this episode because I too have a friend with a micro-penis and I don't think it's very funny to make fun of him!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FRINGE posted:

The comic storylines are so different from this "barely supernatural" show they are hard to compare.

When God comes back from being "missing" its a cosmos-shifting turn in the story in the comic.

Yeah but will they make another basic human or pull out some full-time CGI?

Yeah, no way if they introduce the character he's not a short human with a foul mouth who may show his wings here and there. Hey, Curtis Armstrong could work, he has experience in the field!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Balthesar posted:

So there's a 100% chance that Clark Kent is Sinnerman, right?

If you must know the truth nope, someone else was cast as him (dude from Leftovers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

grack posted:

He's actually not The Sinnerman, he's Jim Sinnerman, of the West Virginia Sinnermans

Nah, Sinclair Rutherford Mann. Goes by "Sin" for short. Sin R. Mann.

• Locked thread