Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I think the point and possibly the only thing they're taking from the comic is that Lucifer is not "evil" and is just more of a universal requirement that kind of gets a bad rap because of who wrote the book that everyone read.

(Lucifer is one of the greatest comics of all time and i can't believe it was turned into this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you are going to take a stand on a show not being like the comic and how that ruins it for you, maybe pick either a better comic, or a better show, or a network that isn't broadcast. Something like the upcoming Preacher show maybe?

There are't many better (semi long running) comics than Lucifer, to be fair. Lucifer is a much better read than Preacher (although Preacher is much better to adapt to TV).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I keep coming up with these intricate plot ideas based on either how the show starts or the title, and then I get sad when the plot isn't as nifty as the one I have in my head.

Last week's I assumed that the black angel guy (spacing on the name) had started somehow making deals with people/taking confessions/something along those lines to start screwing with Lucifer's abilities and make him wanna go home. Turns out it was just him covering for a psycho.

This week I see the title and think "OH poo poo SOMEONE IS MOVING IN ON HELL" and get excited at the prospect of a weird vaguely political demon vs lucifer kinda setup where someone is trying to take over hell since Lucifer is on vacation... and it's some pasty white kid with a poo poo accent.

Still though, loving the show.

That's literally the kind of stuff that happened in the comic, so read that for your wish fulfillment, and watch the show for a somewhat witty at times procedural.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was the first episode I can actually say I "liked," and that's probably because it was entirely about Lucifer. If they keep that up and move more away from the procedural part, that would be great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was a good episode. I hope this is an indication that they're getting away from the standard procedural format. I haven't read the comics and I'm not super familiar with old testament lore, did this version of Lucifer did the whole war on heaven thing? It seems like a kinda important point to leave out or never mention.

The comic version had Lucifer's rebellion. These aren't really spoilers for the show probably, and are only the premise for the comic, so I won't black anything out, but don't read if you want to go into the comic completely blind.

- God is basically omnipotent, and creates Lucifer and Michael to be together as powerful as him (or close), but not apart. Lucifer can basically shape energy/matter to anything, but can't create it on his own, and Michael can make energy/matter.

- Lucifer hates the idea of fate and predestination and decides to rebel against heaven. Michael/angels win, and God tosses Lucifer to the farthest possible place from him, in order to give Lucifer what he wanted in the first place. Hell grows around Lucifer there. Lucifer took it as a punishment, while it was actually a gift (and part of God's plan). The show kind of mirrored/mentioned some of that in this episode.

- At one time, Lucifer led hell against heaven and lost.

- Lucifer gets bored in hell (prompted by Dream/Sandman, after being tricked by him), gives it to other entities who are more generically Satan-like to rule over, and opens a piano bar in L.A.

- Outside stuff keeps messing with Lucifer, bringing him back into universal stuff; he basically ends up starting an extremely long-con in order to not be bound by fate/God anymore, once and for all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snak posted:

Samael is often the angel of Death, so that's kind of interesting.

Lucifer isn't even Satan in the Bible, but instead was referring to some actual guy (and Satan isn't even really the Accuser in Job, either, outside of retcons). I like how he gets every somewhat related name on this show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

he's a chainsmoking, poo poo talking fallen cherub, if i recall correctly in the comics.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rape scene? Wasn't that scene a joke-turn of events where she was going to torture him but got so turned on by the idea that they had sex instead, and he was so turned on by it, he told her everything? So instead of her brutally torturing him (which is as bad as rape), she instead got what she wanted with ultimate pleasure.

Maz is near as irresistible and at good as sex as Lucifer; that's been established.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I got kind of sad there, which I did not expect.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That wasn't the season finale.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Looks like they honestly thought having this cliffhanger would increase demand for the next season and force it. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Actually, being free of network constraints could be interesting.

• Locked thread