Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The comic book Lucifer isn't good or evil but instead follows his own morality of gently caress you I'll do what I want. Which is why he hates God so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Collateral posted:

Is there a daughter called Elaine?

I have a feeling that if they go with that stuff they're going to put it on the lady cop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite all the other things they're doing differently I did notice one small comics touch. When Lucifer was putting his shirt on you could briefly see his back scars from when he cut his wings off after he left Hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

I think it's because most urban fantasy does the whole "I must keep the secret to protect people" and Lucifer is just like "yes I'm the literal Devil, how can I help?"

Yeah, a really annoying part of Heroes was how every Evo throughout history decided to hide their powers from everyone. Even though it really didn't make any sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of annoyed that they aren't really doing anything with Mazikeen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about the comic and him having sex is that they show he doesn't actually have a dick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also did a gimmick episode making fun of graphic crime shows by defusing everything with goofy replacement dialog.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bio347 posted:

In the comics, (well, in Sandman - Lucifer itself starts after Dream cuts his wings off) he did have bat wings in Hell. At some point his actual feathery angelic wings had ended up elsewhere and I don't exactly remember how that all worked. Been a while since I've read 'em.

What happened in the comic is that he originally had bat wings in hell, cut them off and then in between cutting them off and getting them back they turned back into angel wings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they actually went into his "real" name being Samael.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "God's plan" stuff definitely clashes with the comic because in that Lucifer's problem with God was the idea of a plan, not his place in it. He actually creates an entirely new universe where he's in charge just to get away from it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the biggest flaw the show has is how there's almost no supernatural elements. You have Lucifer, Maze and Amendadiel and that's it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neil Gaiman wrote a short story ("Murder Mysteries") about what caused Lucifer to rebel, it isn't explicitly the Sandman version of the character but there's nothing that contradicts the characterization either. The story takes place before the fall, there's a murder in the Silver City and the angel Raguel is tasked to find out what happened. He eventually learns who did what and God (through Raguel) punishes the perpetrator by destroying them. Lucifer thinks the punishment was too harsh for the crime and the whole thing is shown as what plants the seeds of his rebellion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Maze is explicitly a demon, created by Lucifer. I think she's his lead torturer, but that may have been someone saying something about the comic and me getting confused.

In the comic Mazikeen is one of the Lillim, a race of magical creatures with various powers as they are children of Lillith and various spirits, lesser gods and demons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also just kind of dropped her investigating his weirdness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if I dig Det Ex-Husband getting a complete undo of his entire subplot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm still kind of annoyed that a show about the Devil helping the LAPD somehow isn't helping with supernatural crimes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

It's a well worn trope to have "police have a suspect in custody that looks good but then another crime happens".

He said he did it and then it happened again and they never went back to explain why the guy confessed in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The crime of the week stuff is definitely the show's weakest part and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when you have your main character consistently get bored with it and just wander off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

He is mortal around her, so there is that.

Maybe they'll finally explain it this season. :iiam:

They seem like they've completely forgotten about that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Charisma Carpenter looks super generic now.

"It was the 90s, we did a lot of coke."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mark Dacascos as a washed up 90s action movie star? That's just good casting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phil LaMarr? Guest star crazy time!

Also, who wants to guess that Phil LaMarr did it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, Chloe reading Coraline to her daughter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My only problem with that sword is that it seemed rather unimpressive for something that can erase a goddess from existence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of weird that Dan straight up says "Netflix" when they were talking about those old action movies becoming popular again. Usually shows don't mention real world products/websites that like.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox seems happy as they've ordered a back 9 for the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Dansformation stuff was a lot of fun. With Lucifer parting his hair the same way and wearing a jacket over a hoodie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really need a gif of that demonstration.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The comic has little to nothing to do with the show. Especially in characterization of Lucifer himself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azrael is the angel of death, aka the one God sends out to do stuff like kill all the first born sons of Egypt. Death is of the Endless, one of 7 beings that are personifications of universal constants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So he's still alive or that was bad acting because his eyes were still moving.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If only his horrible real estate developer father had just run for president!

Edit: Also Lucifer was clearly drawing a ballsack on his cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rachel Harris is apparently pocket sized.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How the gently caress has this show been on hiatus for a month and now they're advertising a couple of episodes left until the "winter finale"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like they're sticking 24 and that crappy cop show APB in the Monday night time slot until May.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nice to see the show being a little more explicit(ish) about Lucifer swinging both ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guess who's showing up when this comes back in May? Timothy Olyphant! He'll be playing a man who has been institutionalized because he is claiming he is God.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else notice the really big Supergirl billboard in the opening crime scene? That was weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Had a good chortle at that "triple Decker" joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that the season finale is airing tonight.

• Locked thread