Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, that probably has something to do with it being much easier to create the very basics of a steam engine than a fusion reactor. After the low-hanging fruits have been picked by random people, and then studied by physicists, physicists now have to develop the tools to pick those fruits themselves because we're now operating on a level of complexity and a scale which simply can't be compared to a machine that could probably be fixed by whacking it with a hammer. In that sense, physics is more useful because it's the only tool we have.

Would you say then that maybe we're in an age of increasing technological refinement, where the marginal impact of new advances benefits an increasingly smaller few and larger swathes of humanity are left more or less the same? (like yeah it's great that most third world folks have better access to the internet than a reliable food or water supply)

This 'low hanging fruit' point could just be reframed as 'we've discovered pretty much everything that makes what we call a modern life comfortable and now we're just making fancier luxury products like curved tvs and smartphones that say bless you when you sneeze'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

computer parts posted:

Nope, because the thing about anti-biotic resistance is that it requires many more resources than the normal bacteria. Once the environmental pressures are relieved (i.e., people say "oh poo poo these antibiotics won't work anymore) then the anti-biotic resistant bacteria will be outbred.

I was going to post this. What you need is a large enough stable of antibiotics that you can switch to other ones until resistances at your hospital, community, etc go down. Also some antibiotics continue to work forever on some bacteria because there is no easily evolved mechanism of resistance--group A strep are 100% susceptible to standard penicillin, with no exceptions. The problem, again, is money. Antibiotics are not profitable drugs to create--it's a very crowded market. If the government were willing to subsidize antibiotic creation, I'm sure more could be developed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Would you say then that maybe we're in an age of increasing technological refinement, where the marginal impact of new advances benefits an increasingly smaller few and larger swathes of humanity are left more or less the same? (like yeah it's great that most third world folks have better access to the internet than a reliable food or water supply)

This 'low hanging fruit' point could just be reframed as 'we've discovered pretty much everything that makes what we call a modern life comfortable and now we're just making fancier luxury products like curved tvs and smartphones that say bless you when you sneeze'
Realistically it's probably more of a spectrum, than just a straight up "this is low hanging fruit, and this is not" kinda thing. As for us somehow having basically created "a comfortable life" with no room for meaningful change, I don't know. From a purely technological standpoint, there's no reason we couldn't basically make work as a concept obsolete for the vast majority of people with increased automation. I'm pretty sure the people of such a world would call into question the "comfortable" part of our modern "comfortable life".

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
The difference of 1870 :: 1940 has to be less noticeable than the difference of "Before Fire" :: "After Fire".
Imagine having no form of artifical light or heat, and then, you have.

So there's only conclusion: We've been in a technological decline ever since the early stone age,

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Wipfmetz posted:

The difference of 1870 :: 1940 has to be less noticeable than the difference of "Before Fire" :: "After Fire".

So there's only conclusion: We've been in a technological decline ever since the early stone age,

Agricultural/Industrial society may just turn out to be a bubble that's going to burst any day now.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean just off the top of my head the internet and smartphones have pretty massively influenced how life works in my lifetime. My entire job and the company I work for would be impossible without them.

Also, as an addendum to that: remember when people used just not know things? Like, you'd stop and wonder for a moment about some trivial matter, and then just give up and never find out what the answer was? Remember when that was a thing people did?

That's not coming back.

I think you could probably make a decent case that the level of scientific discovery has slowed down significantly in the last 50 years, because that was an area where there really was a lot of low-hanging fruit that we had to knock out in the first couple centuries of work. There's only so many Maxwell Equations or DNA or Germ-Theory-Of-Disease-level discoveries to be made on earth, and we've probably hit most of them. But there's a fairly significant difference between that and technological innovation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wipfmetz posted:

I think that's the point; the industrial age changed people's ways of life as dramatically as the transition from hunting/gathering to agriculture, and the computer age most certainly has not. If human civilization makes it another 1000 years I think the present will be seen as part of the industrial revolution.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Social and biological evolution could converge to create an electronic world mind. Something like Helios from Deus Ex.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Significant discoveries in fields like cosmology, astronomy, and physics don't necessarily positively impact Joe Sixpack in the short term so they aren't as noticeable to the public at large but there's huge progress being made in those fields. I doubt very many people outside of physicists cared about relativity in 1916 but in 2016 your car GPS has to adjust for its effects to function.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, as an addendum to that: remember when people used just not know things? Like, you'd stop and wonder for a moment about some trivial matter, and then just give up and never find out what the answer was? Remember when that was a thing people did?

That's not coming back.

I think you could probably make a decent case that the level of scientific discovery has slowed down significantly in the last 50 years, because that was an area where there really was a lot of low-hanging fruit that we had to knock out in the first couple centuries of work. There's only so many Maxwell Equations or DNA or Germ-Theory-Of-Disease-level discoveries to be made on earth, and we've probably hit most of them. But there's a fairly significant difference between that and technological innovation.

Yeah it's useful to make the distinction between scientific discovery vs technological application of it vs impact on daily life. There's a tendency to look at technology and how it affects us and use that as a measure of scientific advancement but that's arbitrary. Your basic needs can be fulfilled with less time invested but whether that curve will approach zero or not, has no bearing on scientific advancement. Right now the application of technology is happening in factories, warehouses, mines etc. so a lot of people don't experience it. The most important discoveries are probably in genetics, medical sciences and materials which probably won't result in a shiny new gadget you can put in your home.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Potential BFF posted:

Significant discoveries in fields like cosmology, astronomy, and physics don't necessarily positively impact Joe Sixpack in the short term so they aren't as noticeable to the public at large but there's huge progress being made in those fields. I doubt very many people outside of physicists cared about relativity in 1916 but in 2016 your car GPS has to adjust for its effects to function.

Related to Your Car's GPS: most of the big life-changing developments of the 20th century are a direct result of public investment in research, development and infrastructure, much like the aformentioned medical advances that are comin' down the pike. We've got significant developments in energy, medicine, and materials, but they're not going to have the massive change to people's lives without public investment and making it accessible. That GPS wouldn't do poo poo without big government hurling money into space.

I'm thinking if we tried building society "on purpose in any way" rather than doing everything the dumbest loving way possible, increased automation producing more leisure time rather than just putting people out of work, increased development of transit infrastructure, increased investment in getting off fossil fuels and building solar/wind, and why not, fusion would have a pretty big impact in our daily lives and our averting catastrophe.

So yeah that decline you're sensing is privatization basically.

ReadyToHuman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 28, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReadyToHuman posted:

increased automation producing more leisure time rather than just putting people out of work,

The only difference here is the amount of unemployment benefits.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

computer parts posted:

The only difference here is the amount of unemployment benefits.

Or, employment not being compulsory for survival, since people are less necessary to do the work of maintaining society. I don't know just spitballing here.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That NASA exists mostly due to competition with the Soviets and GPS exists mostly as a military tool is a pretty sad indictment of society as a whole but them's the breaks I guess.

I guess one facet of the article I agree with is that the only piece of technology that can save us has already been invented, the guillotine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, that probably has something to do with it being much easier to create the very basics of a steam engine than a fusion reactor. After the low-hanging fruits have been picked by random people, and then studied by physicists, physicists now have to develop the tools to pick those fruits themselves because we're now operating on a level of complexity and a scale which simply can't be compared to a machine that could probably be fixed by whacking it with a hammer. In that sense, physics is more useful because it's the only tool we have.

I think that it is more due to physicists retreating into studying more and more oddball stuff which is further and further away from normal conditions on earth.

Physics actually abhors complexity and a lot of physicists bend over backwards to study the simplest physical systems so they can approach problems from a bottom-up perspective. This explains physicists' fascination with stuff like the Higgs Boson, a supposedly very important fundamental particle which governs everything but 99.99% of science doesn't really need to explain how things work. It's navel-gazing.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also, as I pointed out, there was a full century from theory to commercially viable machine.

I'm not intimately familiar with the history of the steam engine, but from reading wikipedia, the first commercially sucessful steam engine predates the development of the systematic theory of thermodynamics which explains how it works. This is not the example you want to trot out when trying to point out the lag between fundamental physics advances and technology.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And along the way develop a bunch of new or improved poo poo because the old poo poo isn't good enough, which might then have applications in other fields. From what I gather, that is precisely what happens when people try to expand our knowledge, they're forced to create practical poo poo too because that's the only way they can actually measure anything, or make particles do what they want them to do.

Yeah, this is true, but the benefits of this I think is often overstated. A lot of the specialized instrumentation isn't developed because it really isn't needed by society. Some physicists spend their entire careers building refrigerators to cool things down to temperatures which are small fractions of a Kelvin so that they can study what happens at such low temperatures. Turns out that normal people on Earth at about room temperature don't really care about what happens at milli-Kelvin temperatures, and they don't want to pay for the cost of the refrigeration.

Potential BFF posted:

Providing like a one part in a million correction or whatever (I've heard that the correction due to special relativity and the correction due to general relativity have opposite signs and thus partially cancel lol) to GPS calculations of position is the only real application of relativity that I have ever heard trotted out.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 28, 2016

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

silence_kit posted:

I think that it is more due to physicists retreating into studying more and more oddball stuff which is further and further away from normal conditions on earth.

Physics actually abhors complexity and a lot of physicists bend over backwards to study the simplest physical systems so they can approach problems from a bottom-up perspective. This explains physicists' fascination with stuff like the Higgs Boson, a supposedly very important fundamental particle which governs everything but 99.99% of science doesn't really need to explain how things work. It's navel-gazing.

Your ability to make this post is the direct result of navel-gazing oddball physics research far away from normal conditions on earth, and to that extent I agree that perhaps it is to be avoided.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

McDowell posted:

Social and biological evolution could converge to create an electronic world mind. Something like Helios from Deus Ex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Darwinism :getin:

All of our states and nations and tribes and races are naught but vast cellular automata wrought large. I hope we never have to face a single monolithic intelligence, systems can rarely escape that kind of steady state. Then we would certainly face the stagnation feared by the OP.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Only a retard thinks that physicists are only doing particle physics and astrophysics.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Only a retard thinks that physicists are only doing particle physics and astrophysics.

Particle physics and astrophysics are "high physics" though, and are more prestigious than the more practical fields like condensed matter physics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

silence_kit posted:

Particle physics and astrophysics are "high physics" though, and are more prestigious than the more practical fields like condensed matter physics.

So much so that the Nobel Prizes in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014 all went to discoveries like graphene, CCD cameras, and blue LEDs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Correction, they think of themselves as more prestigious.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The premises of this thread might as well have been;

quote:

If I look at the way we flush a toilet, I've noticed little real visible progress in the past half century. Since I now decide to make this my point of reference and will ignore poo poo I take for granted, I deem were are utterly hosed.

Stuff like the fact that the smartphone we hold in our hand required several hundred warehouses back in the day, that I can send huge chunks of data to the other side of the world in seconds, the way people spend their time has completely changed, the fact that companies are now actually about to head to asteroids to mine them, that we now grow the same amount of food on a fraction of the land, that we start having automated cars, that flying is completely automated, glue, duct tape, I can order a loving book in the US right now and have it tomorrow or the day after in my mailbox even when living in the EU, eat loving strawberries all year round, 3D printing, is all of no loving consequence.

If you'd walk into the living room of the 1940's and today, it would barely be different if I'd look at the walls. FACT.

It feels like some terrible pessimistic clickbait, honestly.

To the guy who's 30 years old and "didn't see much change in his life", did you never play video games or something? Or listen to music? Did you not notice anything about the screens you're looking at? Never read up on medical progress? Like gently caress, even how far prosthetics have progressed is mind loving blowing. How about cars? Have you stepped into a newer car the past 20 years? Or even the past 5 years? What are your measuring points for progress?

Batham fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 28, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

But on the other hand, cheap shipping has created a global market for manufacturing labor and whoops, there goes the wage-earning basis of the first world middle class!

Sounds like progress to me.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Sequencing a human genome cost several billion dollars when I entered the workforce. Today I bought a CRISPR-Cas9 kit from an off the shelf supplier for under a grand, after working in synthetic biologics for several years. Sorry your cell phone apps aren't transforming human society, but there is no loving way we're running into a development gap right now. It's just not the advances that we thought we were going to have.

Edit: poo poo I 3d print things out of stainless steel for work on a weekly basis and two thirds of the technologies I use at work didn't exist when a decade ago. If anything's holding us back, it's finance coming up with new and unique ways to extract fees from a productive economy using technological advancements like software models/AI, NLP, and global internet surveillance.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 28, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

This question is like a bunch of Australopithecenes (or Homo habilis if you don't buy that A. africanus was a toolmaker) sitting around arguing that it's been 1.5 million years since they invented the Oldowan Industry, and most likely sharp stick, so obviously they're in an age of technological decline. From their vantage point it may seem like it, technology has been stable for a long time. But they just can't foresee the Acheulean Industry, Mousterian Industry, Mossel Bay Industry, Clovis Complex, domestication, irrigation infrastructure, metallurgy and space flight with their current knowledge. And this is only if you accept the premise that technology has been standing still since the 1960s, which as numerous posters have pointed out, is really not the case. The advances in medical technology alone have been immense. Also, there are very, very few examples of technological decline in human history. Standstills sure, but actual decline is extremely rare. So no, I would not say we're in an age of technological decline.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The title of this thread and most of the conversation does not match the argument in the OP.

We are unquestionably not heading for "technological decline", and many aspects of life are clearly improved in the past few decades due to the inventions of the internet and smartphones and GPS, etc.

The real question is whether any of these new technologies are sustainable economic powerhouses that can match the long-term and short-term growth from earlier technological progress. Clearly, the internet allows for greater economic activity, but I think it's easy to make the case that it doesn't have nearly as dramatic an effect as the proliferation of electricity in the 19th century or widespread adoption of the combustion engine.

Basically, the global economy has been injected with nitro boosters periodically over the past 150 years, and people now think that is the natural speed. However, as far as we can tell, there are no more boosters left. And there was a shitload of inequality and poverty and war during the good times, so who the hell knows how bad it could get now that the good times might be winding down.

All that said, I think that a breakthrough in clean energy and/or industrical scale energy storage has the potential to be another booster that could keep the global economy humming for a few decades (which would obviously also have positive effects on the environmental problems we're facing), so I'm cautiously hopeful.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

All of our states and nations and tribes and races are naught but vast cellular automata wrought large.

:agreed: Arguably the planetary intelligence I am talking about would be the next step in secular democracy - every human would be an active citizen connected to each other by the computer in their pocket. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve quality of life.

As for 'navel gazing' - I don't think getting a higher resolution model of how energy = matter is useless information. We still have no idea how matter affects spacetime to produce gravity.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So much so that the Nobel Prizes in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014 all went to discoveries like graphene, CCD cameras, and blue LEDs.

Most of the time discoveries in condensed matter physics have to actually matter to society to earn a Nobel. And in a lot of those cases, those contributions weren't fundamental physics advances, they were more like chemistry/material science advances, like with Charles Kao proposing the idea for fiber optics by recognizing that if you were to make glass very pure, it could be very transparent to infrared light. Or Shuji Nakamura perfecting the metamorphic epitaxial crystal growth of gallium nitride to enable efficient blue light-emitting diodes. I'm sure those in high physics scoffed and said that those scientists discovered no new physics when those awards were announced.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Inferior Third Season posted:

The real question is whether any of these new technologies are sustainable economic powerhouses that can match the long-term and short-term growth from earlier technological progress. Clearly, the internet allows for greater economic activity, but I think it's easy to make the case that it doesn't have nearly as dramatic an effect as the proliferation of electricity in the 19th century or widespread adoption of the combustion engine.

Basically, the global economy has been injected with nitro boosters periodically over the past 150 years, and people now think that is the natural speed. However, as far as we can tell, there are no more boosters left. And there was a shitload of inequality and poverty and war during the good times, so who the hell knows how bad it could get now that the good times might be winding down.

The huge caveat here that you're not mentioning is that proliferation of those technologies are not universal. It's really hard to get a grasp on the effects of the internet when a decade ago, most of China didn't have it.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I'm 40 years old, and came of age before the Internet was really a thing. I didn't send my first email until I was a freshman in college, and that was over what today seems like Paleolithic university intranet. It would be difficult to overstate how much the Internet has changed life. The smart phone is another enormous development whose influence on social interaction hasn't even fully shaken out yet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
"There's hardly been any meaningful innovation in the last few decades," they said, speaking to an instantly-updating discussion forum frequented by thousands of people across the globe.

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm 40 years old, and came of age before the Internet was really a thing. I didn't send my first email until I was a freshman in college, and that was over what today seems like Paleolithic university intranet. It would be difficult to overstate how much the Internet has changed life. The smart phone is another enormous development whose influence on social interaction hasn't even fully shaken out yet.
Yes. Basically anything involving information, like media or logistics, is massively different now. That's really the issue: most of the innovation 'back in the day' was in a totally different domain. It's unfair to compare the internet to washing machines by evaluating how much chore time it saves you, because that's not what the internet is good at (unless you're using one of those stereotypical on-demand-mommy startups). It's like evaluating washing machines on how they directly impacted people getting news.

We live in a world where even refugees have access to a constantly-updating corpus of globally accessible knowledge that they use to find services, where they can instantly communicate with friends and relatives across the entire planet at all times.

There also seems to be a double standard with regards to what innovation is considered revolutionary vs incremental. Could people get around and carry their goods before cars? Sure, via horses, trains, and boats. Cars just made it easier and faster. See? Merely incremental innovation!

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 28, 2016

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, in 1995, I met and dated a German foreign-exchange student in my city in the Midwest. She went home at the end of 1995, and I followed her out to Germany a few months later to live with her. In the meantime, we wrote each other letters (email for the general public was in its infancy, and international calls were still expensive). Snail-mail letters. I doubt any of the most active posters on SA have written more than a dozen snail-mail letters in their lives.

No technological development in my lifetime even comes close to the change the Internet has brought about. I was a tech-savvy kid in the 80s, which at the time meant that I knew how to program BASIC code. I couldn't have imagined the poo poo I would see in the second half of the 90s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I would think GPS alone has been a massive change in the way people do things.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

I would think GPS alone has been a massive change in the way people do things.
GPS is for people with no sense of direction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Five orders of magnitude better accuracy or not, GPS is just an incremental improvement over using a sextant :colbert:

I went back to scan over the article in case I missed a major point but nope, still seems pretty dumb. Most of the issues have been mentioned already, but I'll try to recap:
  • Diminishing returns: All the easy, high impact poo poo's been done. It now takes a massive amount of effort to advance technology bit by bit, but but we're loving doing it.
  • Ignoring actual progress: Robo-prosthetics! Internet! Cheap as poo poo air travel!
  • Not seeing into near future: Massively cheaper space access. Gene editing. Drones for SAR, monitoring, logistics, etc. Who knows what else.
Sure you can dismiss the carbon-fiber, muscle controlled bionic arm as being just an incremental upgrade over steel hooks but really, we'll soon be at a point where they're as good or better than the real thing.

But if all these incremental upgrades are put together, you get things like massively cheaper air travel, and think the accessibility makes an enormous difference. For a week's salary I can go anywhere in the world tomorrow, should I so desire. Because of modern telecommunications, I could then be working from the beach in Thailand tomorrow without anyone realizing or caring. While sitting on the beach, I could start a new business and sell it for billions to Facebook, then fly home and have the apartment cleaned and some food cooked by tapping a button on my phone. Yes, exactly like 1940 because they had cars and planes too.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

GPS is for people with no sense of direction.
Yes. We're legion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

We have enough of a handle on genetics at this point that we can do some truly amazing things- it's just a matter of having the time and patience to try every one of several million keys in every one of several million locks.

What "amazing things" are you referring to? It's true that we've made some amazing progress in our knowledge of genetics/genomics and the technology used for sequencing and analyzing the resulting data, but turning that into some technological progress that will actually have a noticeable affect on a significant portion of the population is still very far in the future (if it will happen at all). We'll probably be able to address diseases/conditions that have some straight-forward genetic cause, but most serious ailments that people experience (like cancer) are so complex that we aren't even close to being able to address them. Basically, the huge strides we've made have enabled us to understand just how difficult it'll be to actually make practical use of all this new data.

That being said, we might be able to do some cool stuff with things like GMOs, but usually when people say things like you said they're referring to human-related stuff like somehow giving people resistance to diseases before they're born.

It's really a shame that so many smart people go into finance, because people with a strong background in areas like statistics are direly needed in fields like biology.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Genetically modified e coli produce human insulin for diabetics.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gene editing shows promise in treating muscular dystrophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye
Jun 20, 2010

by exmarx

silence_kit posted:

Most of the time discoveries in condensed matter physics have to actually matter to society to earn a Nobel. And in a lot of those cases, those contributions weren't fundamental physics advances, they were more like chemistry/material science advances, like with Charles Kao proposing the idea for fiber optics by recognizing that if you were to make glass very pure, it could be very transparent to infrared light. Or Shuji Nakamura perfecting the metamorphic epitaxial crystal growth of gallium nitride to enable efficient blue light-emitting diodes. I'm sure those in high physics scoffed and said that those scientists discovered no new physics when those awards were announced.

If you think "high physics" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) scoffs at advances in other disciplines, then surely you can find a high physicist expressing that opinion. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, though- physicists all over the world are working on groundbreaking research in nanotechnology, materials science, biophysics, and optics.

• Locked thread