Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bij
Feb 24, 2007

That article doesn't mention the integrated circuit once.

In short, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Significant discoveries in fields like cosmology, astronomy, and physics don't necessarily positively impact Joe Sixpack in the short term so they aren't as noticeable to the public at large but there's huge progress being made in those fields. I doubt very many people outside of physicists cared about relativity in 1916 but in 2016 your car GPS has to adjust for its effects to function.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That NASA exists mostly due to competition with the Soviets and GPS exists mostly as a military tool is a pretty sad indictment of society as a whole but them's the breaks I guess.

I guess one facet of the article I agree with is that the only piece of technology that can save us has already been invented, the guillotine.

• Locked thread