Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Information Technology could have much more impact if governments were proactive about it - but more democracy and economic mobility aren't policy goals for the establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Social and biological evolution could converge to create an electronic world mind. Something like Helios from Deus Ex.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

All of our states and nations and tribes and races are naught but vast cellular automata wrought large.

:agreed: Arguably the planetary intelligence I am talking about would be the next step in secular democracy - every human would be an active citizen connected to each other by the computer in their pocket. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve quality of life.

As for 'navel gazing' - I don't think getting a higher resolution model of how energy = matter is useless information. We still have no idea how matter affects spacetime to produce gravity.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Genetically modified e coli produce human insulin for diabetics.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The medical experts of the time thought cancer was caused by a virus and we could develop a vaccine for it like polio. We've since learned that 'cancer' isn't a single malady but is instead your own cell biology going haywire due to a variety of environmental and genetic factors. The investments made became the foundations of molecular biology.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That has always been the problem - the President can't just say 'I'm giving scientists more money to research biochemistry' he has to promise a cure for cancer.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

Why do you need relativity to understand imaging and how lasers work?

Part of the discovery of relativity is that the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field is the frame of reference.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

I don't think that this is fundamental to how a laser works though. When Einstein proposed the process of stimulated emission (this is the physical process which allows light to be amplified inside of a laser), I don't think that he appealed to relativity. Certainly people who design and engineer lasers don't need relativity to be able to do their job. Shuji Nakamura, who is credited with demonstrating the first blue semi-conductor laser, having only a Masters degree in electrical engineering, was probably not taught special relativity.

I was refering to medical imaging - particularly MRI. Relativity uses laplace transforms which are very common math in advanced engineering.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

I don't understand the physics of nuclear magnetic resonance well enough to say whether or not special relativity is relevant. I also think that you might be conflating the Lorentz and the Laplace transform. A quick Wikipedia search shows me that the Laplace transform was developed in the 19th century for probability theory. We didn't need relativity for there to be the Laplace transform.

Early morning phone posting, sorry - MRI requires both Lorentz and Laplace equations so you can create an image based the the spin/alignment of hydrogen atoms in the body.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

The biggest barrier to scientific progress seems likely to be widespread poverty and unemployment blighting the coming generations due to the effects of scientific progress on the availability of paying work.

The solution, as always: :ussr:

The internationalists of 100+ years ago have been proven very correct - but they're all dead and buried so they can't say 'We told you so.'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because it's qualitatively different than "we used to have to burn whale oil and now we have electricity" or "we used to die and now we have vaccines"

If you have no imagination I guess so. This is an ongoing revolution.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can calculate ballistic trajectories without calculus but you can't go to the moon with that math.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Technological decline? how can you look at this and tell me the future isn't bright?

We need to do something about all the people too lazy/stupid to develop economically useful STEM skills. This seems like a humane form of population control to prevent stagnation/decline.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

Oh, I put in an edit:

Are you Andy Schlafly?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

All I want is a non-inflated evaluation of the technological applications.

And you got one. GPS literally does not work without relativity.

EFB

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckNsMeWc_Cs

The Human Adventure is Only Beginning

This is the Star Trek 60th Anniversary Post

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Game consoles are dead - every kid should have the chance to hack and code and mod. Minecraft's popularity (and origins on PC) hints at this potential - a new creative mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Most gains in the past 10 or so years have been in power savings and device density. The speed of single core peaked quite some time ago.

Tools and products feed back, so what.

• Locked thread