Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Five orders of magnitude better accuracy or not, GPS is just an incremental improvement over using a sextant :colbert:

I went back to scan over the article in case I missed a major point but nope, still seems pretty dumb. Most of the issues have been mentioned already, but I'll try to recap:
  • Diminishing returns: All the easy, high impact poo poo's been done. It now takes a massive amount of effort to advance technology bit by bit, but but we're loving doing it.
  • Ignoring actual progress: Robo-prosthetics! Internet! Cheap as poo poo air travel!
  • Not seeing into near future: Massively cheaper space access. Gene editing. Drones for SAR, monitoring, logistics, etc. Who knows what else.
Sure you can dismiss the carbon-fiber, muscle controlled bionic arm as being just an incremental upgrade over steel hooks but really, we'll soon be at a point where they're as good or better than the real thing.

But if all these incremental upgrades are put together, you get things like massively cheaper air travel, and think the accessibility makes an enormous difference. For a week's salary I can go anywhere in the world tomorrow, should I so desire. Because of modern telecommunications, I could then be working from the beach in Thailand tomorrow without anyone realizing or caring. While sitting on the beach, I could start a new business and sell it for billions to Facebook, then fly home and have the apartment cleaned and some food cooked by tapping a button on my phone. Yes, exactly like 1940 because they had cars and planes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gene editing shows promise in treating muscular dystrophy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So basically you're talking out your arse.

Seems like that could've been sarcastic.

• Locked thread