Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I'm 40 years old, and came of age before the Internet was really a thing. I didn't send my first email until I was a freshman in college, and that was over what today seems like Paleolithic university intranet. It would be difficult to overstate how much the Internet has changed life. The smart phone is another enormous development whose influence on social interaction hasn't even fully shaken out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, in 1995, I met and dated a German foreign-exchange student in my city in the Midwest. She went home at the end of 1995, and I followed her out to Germany a few months later to live with her. In the meantime, we wrote each other letters (email for the general public was in its infancy, and international calls were still expensive). Snail-mail letters. I doubt any of the most active posters on SA have written more than a dozen snail-mail letters in their lives.

No technological development in my lifetime even comes close to the change the Internet has brought about. I was a tech-savvy kid in the 80s, which at the time meant that I knew how to program BASIC code. I couldn't have imagined the poo poo I would see in the second half of the 90s.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Blue Star posted:

I think you're referring to me. Progress in video games isn't exactly life-changing, though. It's neat, but it's not exactly like going from horse and buggies to cars and airplanes in one's lifetime. When I was a kid, the Super Nintendo was the most advanced home console. Now it's PS4 and XBox One. That's kinda neat but it doesn't revolutionize the world.

Medical progress has been pretty stagnant in my lifetime, too. Now people are talking about stem cells, growing new organs and tissues from scratch, gene therapy, and even crazy poo poo like extending lifespans and giving ourselves cybernetic implants. I don't think any of that is going to happen, though. Wasn't it Nixon who declared a War on Cancer? And here we are. There's been some progress but it seems kind of step-by-step, little by little. I remember hearing about how drug development has gotten harder and more expensive. I honestly don't expect anything too exciting to happen in my lifetime, medical-wise, and I've still got 40 to 50 years left to live (optimistically).

It's gotta be sad to be 30 and already so jaded.

• Locked thread