Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The omni-directional pallet and intermodal container have had greater impacts on the human race than literally anything else that has been invented since the atomic bomb.
There's 2 feet of snow on the ground and I am eating a (reasonably) fresh mandarin orange.

The part where no one thinks that is amazing is the part that's loving amazing.

The average Walmart Distribution Center represents a level of gross technological and logistical power greater than the Manhattan Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean just off the top of my head the internet and smartphones have pretty massively influenced how life works in my lifetime. My entire job and the company I work for would be impossible without them.

Also, as an addendum to that: remember when people used just not know things? Like, you'd stop and wonder for a moment about some trivial matter, and then just give up and never find out what the answer was? Remember when that was a thing people did?

That's not coming back.

I think you could probably make a decent case that the level of scientific discovery has slowed down significantly in the last 50 years, because that was an area where there really was a lot of low-hanging fruit that we had to knock out in the first couple centuries of work. There's only so many Maxwell Equations or DNA or Germ-Theory-Of-Disease-level discoveries to be made on earth, and we've probably hit most of them. But there's a fairly significant difference between that and technological innovation.

• Locked thread