Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

This question is like a bunch of Australopithecenes (or Homo habilis if you don't buy that A. africanus was a toolmaker) sitting around arguing that it's been 1.5 million years since they invented the Oldowan Industry, and most likely sharp stick, so obviously they're in an age of technological decline. From their vantage point it may seem like it, technology has been stable for a long time. But they just can't foresee the Acheulean Industry, Mousterian Industry, Mossel Bay Industry, Clovis Complex, domestication, irrigation infrastructure, metallurgy and space flight with their current knowledge. And this is only if you accept the premise that technology has been standing still since the 1960s, which as numerous posters have pointed out, is really not the case. The advances in medical technology alone have been immense. Also, there are very, very few examples of technological decline in human history. Standstills sure, but actual decline is extremely rare. So no, I would not say we're in an age of technological decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't know if this is addressed in the book (it isn't addressed in the review), but there is a difference between types of scientific progress and advances. There are scientific advancements which allow for massive changes in the structure of the economy, by increasing productivity dramatically, reconfiguring what work is, and opening up a plethora of new avenues for employment, and scientific advancements that … don't. There are technologies that change the fabric of society, the way we are organized (usually because of their relationship to economics).. and technologies that don't. That a technology doesn't change society doesn't mean that it didn't take effort.

Video games are a good example of that. Regardless of the size of the videogame industry, they are largely unimportant and trivial. They are a leisure activity which people do in their spare time. The large-scale progress that people are saying has stopped is the progress that creates the spare time that you use to play video games.

Advances in medicine are obviously much more important than video games, but it's difficult to see how these advances will reconfigure economic and social life anytime soon. Certainly it's difficult to see how they will exponentially increase the economy's productivity. Advances in medicine can improve human labor, but we're doing quite well there already, as a vast chunk of people make it to retirement age.

The person who is 30 years old and hasn't seen much change is mostly correct. I am 30 years old too. If I look at my father's life, it's fundamentally not that different than mine. We both grew up with no expectation of dying as children, we both went to school and then college. We do more or less the same thing (do calculations). We have weekends off. It's essentially the same life.

Good thing advances made in robotics and automation in the past 40 years are going to reconfigure social and economic life then eh?

• Locked thread