Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Potential BFF posted:

Significant discoveries in fields like cosmology, astronomy, and physics don't necessarily positively impact Joe Sixpack in the short term so they aren't as noticeable to the public at large but there's huge progress being made in those fields. I doubt very many people outside of physicists cared about relativity in 1916 but in 2016 your car GPS has to adjust for its effects to function.

Related to Your Car's GPS: most of the big life-changing developments of the 20th century are a direct result of public investment in research, development and infrastructure, much like the aformentioned medical advances that are comin' down the pike. We've got significant developments in energy, medicine, and materials, but they're not going to have the massive change to people's lives without public investment and making it accessible. That GPS wouldn't do poo poo without big government hurling money into space.

I'm thinking if we tried building society "on purpose in any way" rather than doing everything the dumbest loving way possible, increased automation producing more leisure time rather than just putting people out of work, increased development of transit infrastructure, increased investment in getting off fossil fuels and building solar/wind, and why not, fusion would have a pretty big impact in our daily lives and our averting catastrophe.

So yeah that decline you're sensing is privatization basically.

ReadyToHuman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

computer parts posted:

The only difference here is the amount of unemployment benefits.

Or, employment not being compulsory for survival, since people are less necessary to do the work of maintaining society. I don't know just spitballing here.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

silence_kit posted:

I think that it is more due to physicists retreating into studying more and more oddball stuff which is further and further away from normal conditions on earth.

Physics actually abhors complexity and a lot of physicists bend over backwards to study the simplest physical systems so they can approach problems from a bottom-up perspective. This explains physicists' fascination with stuff like the Higgs Boson, a supposedly very important fundamental particle which governs everything but 99.99% of science doesn't really need to explain how things work. It's navel-gazing.

Your ability to make this post is the direct result of navel-gazing oddball physics research far away from normal conditions on earth, and to that extent I agree that perhaps it is to be avoided.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

DrSunshine posted:

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see a comparison between the net GDP impact of electrification vs. that of personal computing. Like, it'd be easy to quell this argument if you could get raw data to see just how much the GDP changed after electricity, or internal combustion, or any of those early Industrial Revolution inventions, and compare it to more modern advances.

Is GDP a sufficient quantification to measure the change in people's quality of life ?

• Locked thread