Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

I feel like air travel is conspicuously absent from this list.

Air travel hasn't gotten all tha much better in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really true since it's gotten way cheaper and more accessible as lighter and more efficient planes have been made while you've also got drastically better engines. I mean look at the differences in performance between a 747-100B vs a 747-400ER, and that's basically using the same air frame.

Sure the general shape of airplanes hasn't changed much in decades, but then aside from cosmetics (and again lighter/more efficient/safer cars with drastically better engines) neither has the car.

It's gotten cheaper, sure. But it hasn't gotten better: it uses a little less fuel to get from point A to point B, and the industry itself is a little better developed. But there is nothing really different - hell, sometimes you're going slower than you would decades ago. The idea that we'd have faster air travel has basically died: supersonic passenger jets are basically dead, and its not like passengers see much of a better experience - I mean, now you have the little tvs or a power jack for your ipad but that's basically it. Our advances in air transport over the past couple decades basically boil down to "well, we use less gas".

I'm not buying into the whole premise of the thread as I think the computer is a fundamental reshaping of the world in a way that isn't really well covered in the initial article, but air travel really isn't something I'd say hurts the premise at all. Really, it helps it - air travel has stagnated and we no longer think that in the coming years it's going to be better. We think maybe in a decade it will be a tad cheaper (and we'll be standing upright instead of having our own seats or something equally unpleasant as it gets more and more commoditized).

• Locked thread