Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Noun Verber posted:

The U.S. Government can place a tomahawk missile anywhere on the planet within six hours. I dream of a future where we can do it in two.

The logistics involved in bombing the wrong wedding have indeed progressed by leaps and bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Especially if it allows you to remove the headache of making sure you have available funds at any given time.

It does introduce the headache of not having available funds to pay the interest in the future. To be fair is is like a time machine for your (future) headache. High-tech indeed.

But in any case CCs are merely an off-shot of modern telecommunications. It's just that instead of trusting the letter of credit that the Count of Montecristo is showing you, you can contact his bank directly.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 27, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

If you pay everything with a card, you get one bill that you can pay off, and (like you said) you don't even need to pay it all off at once, though you do incur interest. That's still better than "oh I need groceries but I don't get paid until friday and I don't have the cash now".

This is not precisely a new problem, you know. I am pretty sure it was solved in the past, it just took a bit longer (sometimes it is even faster than any technology. I can still go to the mom-and-pop shop right in front of my house and grab anything I want without paying. They have this "tab" technology that works wonders). You could also be helped by good Samaritans, as a bonus you also knew the person who was going to break your legs if you didn't pay personally. Nowadays it is much less intimate.

It's like arranging an in-person meeting nowadays, in some cases you need to coordinate over cellphones up to the last minute or otherwise some idiot won't make it. How did they manage in the past? well, somehow people managed to arrive to the meeting place without them phones. Not as convenient, for sure.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 27, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

It was solved with checks, which are cumbersome and easier to fake.

I'm not even talking about cheating the mob owned bodega, I just mean that a grocer or whoever just wouldn't sell you food.

Sorry, see my edit. It was solved in multiple -and very different- ways. Some much more convenient and secure than CCs. Like, there is a lot of high-tech fetichism and sometimes that makes us forget that those problems are old news and we somehow still managed to do the poo poo we wanted to do.

Wait a minute, I'll tell my brother to bum a coke from the store for me. I don't know when the pencil was invented but that's basically all the tech required to record the debt. (the old lady who runs the store doesn't even need a pencil but her daughter is kind of scatter-brained so its better to write that poo poo down).

Edit: Sometimes I pay for my cokes and cheetos by fixing their computer. My debt just goes away like some kind of tech wizardry.

Edit2: yay! I've been informed that the coke is in the fridge, waiting for me.

vvvv Now, *those* are some real advances vvvvv

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 27, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really true since it's gotten way cheaper and more accessible as lighter and more efficient planes have been made while you've also got drastically better engines. I mean look at the differences in performance between a 747-100B vs a 747-400ER, and that's basically using the same air frame.

Sure the general shape of airplanes hasn't changed much in decades, but then aside from cosmetics (and again lighter/more efficient/safer cars with drastically better engines) neither has the car.

That's the point. It has become better, sure, but compared from the jump from propeller planes to turbofan jets it's nothing.

Give me one of those sub-orbital rockets Asimov liked to write about.

• Locked thread