Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Sequencing a human genome cost several billion dollars when I entered the workforce. Today I bought a CRISPR-Cas9 kit from an off the shelf supplier for under a grand, after working in synthetic biologics for several years. Sorry your cell phone apps aren't transforming human society, but there is no loving way we're running into a development gap right now. It's just not the advances that we thought we were going to have.

Edit: poo poo I 3d print things out of stainless steel for work on a weekly basis and two thirds of the technologies I use at work didn't exist when a decade ago. If anything's holding us back, it's finance coming up with new and unique ways to extract fees from a productive economy using technological advancements like software models/AI, NLP, and global internet surveillance.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Blue Star posted:

I think you're referring to me. Progress in video games isn't exactly life-changing, though. It's neat, but it's not exactly like going from horse and buggies to cars and airplanes in one's lifetime. When I was a kid, the Super Nintendo was the most advanced home console. Now it's PS4 and XBox One. That's kinda neat but it doesn't revolutionize the world.

Medical progress has been pretty stagnant in my lifetime, too. Now people are talking about stem cells, growing new organs and tissues from scratch, gene therapy, and even crazy poo poo like extending lifespans and giving ourselves cybernetic implants. I don't think any of that is going to happen, though. Wasn't it Nixon who declared a War on Cancer? And here we are. There's been some progress but it seems kind of step-by-step, little by little. I remember hearing about how drug development has gotten harder and more expensive. I honestly don't expect anything too exciting to happen in my lifetime, medical-wise, and I've still got 40 to 50 years left to live (optimistically).

Are you loving kidding me? Cancer death rates after 5 years are plummeting and we're just getting started with immunotherapies.

When I had a Super Nintendo my dad died of leukemia and doctors couldn't really do much. Five years ago my father-in-law had a really aggressive tumor killed with Gleevec, which by oncology standards is the Model T of cancer therapeutics.

Drug development is harder and more expensive because it's doing more. It takes an average of 2.3 billion in R&D and 10 years to develop a new drug these days, but when it comes down to things like defeating type two diabetes, it's a drat bargain.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread