Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

This has nothing to do with anything but I've always thought "MANPAD" sounded like a maxi pad made ~just for men~

I know, I know. I never heard that term until about four years ago in the Mideast thread, because I've always just called them SAMs. I guess there needed to be something to define Strelas and Stingers from Buks and Patriots, but SLSAM was far too much of an acronym and MANPADS sounded like "something".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

It isn't purely for prestige, sometimes they do it for money. In america some businesses offer a discount to military or retires military personnel. http://militarybenefits.info/military-discounts/ I assume most of them want to see valid military ID, but you could probably get the discounts some places just by wearing the uniform. Cosplay in the mall is probably to scam discounts.

Or some sex. Being in uniform means you're on leave or have returned home and there's certain types of people who will open their legs or bend over for a man in uniform, sometimes for free.

Don't let Asia fool you, America has it's fair share of bar chicks as well.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

XMNN posted:

cf chris kyle

Marcus Luttrell, too. Special operations units tend to be filled with type A personalities. There's a bit in Hearts Of Darkness, the Apocalypse Now documentary, that's stuck with me where they're talking about the hotel room scene and Coppola or someone mentions something from their military adviser about special forces people being kind of vain, which comes out in the scene with Martin Sheen being really focused on his lips when he's freaking out in front of the mirror.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

red19fire posted:

In Iraq, I was issued 180 rounds, I think that's the standard because it's like 5-6 full magazines. For an estimated 40 people, that's about 250 rounds per person, excessive but not outside the realm of possibility. The difference is that the occupiers had all kinds of different weapons of different calibers, from assault rifles to hunting rifles to pistols, so it would be a logistical nightmare to keep them supplied. I think one guy had a musket (because he was a felon and it's not an illegal firearm for him), one guy had an old timey six shooter.

But to reiterate it's also what they left behind when they poo poo their pants and ran for the hills, who knows how much they took home.

Just thinking logistically, few thousand rounds is what you'd use for a major action. Looking at an old Guerrilla Warfare manual put out by the army in the early 60s, they would drop 200lbs. pallets with 20 M-2 .30 carbines (as an individual weapon), along with 60 30-round magazines and 3,200 rounds of ammo, with another 6,400 .30 carbine rounds available in an separate airdrop pallet. That would easily get you around 10,000, enough to supply a small 20-man army quickly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/781278837493551104

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/781258176393916416

This is remarkable- other journalists are reacting with shock. The trial was anticipated to last for months.

They're realizing that they hosed themselves royally and there's not much they could do about it. May as well through themselves at the mercy of the jury.

Subterfrugal posted:

Lol if they each told the court that that they had 15-20 witnesses each and then whoopsies they're all the same.

Hahahaha, that too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

I thought she said 120 shots (not that she was right).

Eye witness testimony almost always sucks. Is there evidence of her telling lies?

Edit: I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXbyZefXdc Yeah, she's lying, or being deceptive in some way.

Wasn't the video from the interior of the truck from a camera she was holding? Essentially, the camera would have been her POV, she saw nothing largely because she was hiding in the seats and was the farthest from the action toward the passenger side.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pretty sure that a crime.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

What's being alleged here?

The Facebook post that's screenshotted is describing jurors who objected to a Bundy supporters' shirt suggesting jury nullification. While it doesn't drop names, it gives their numbers, their ages, and speculation about occupation that could be use to identify them and intimidate them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

red19fire posted:

It's closer to doxxing. Describing the jurors on Facebook could be construed as trying to *nudge nudge wink wink* get some wacky follower to intimidate the juror into hanging the jury.

Yeah, this is a bigger concern that the stupid T-shirt. Anonymity of the jurors has been something that has been required of the justice system since the beginning of to maintain impartiality and impunity from the retribution of their decisions. You're not even sure if those two jurors were the ones who complained, it's that she pointed them out of her perceived biases so she can get influence or intimidate them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah you basically can't get ammonium nitrate in large quantities anymore without a bunch of alarms going off so home-made bomb/IED technology is shifting towards more, uh, esoteric ideas, like stuff based on hydrogen peroxide

Or collecting low explosives like tannerite or even smokeless powder and putting them in pressurized containers like what happened with the Tsarnev's device used against the Boston Marathon or the recent bombings in New York.

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but a rifle exposes you to counter reactions, while bombs you can plant and leave absolving yourself of having to defend yourself or be identified. These types wouldn't have the balls to go mass shooting because they know they'd be found. the idea here is to terrorize and run away to live and terrorize another day/be praised for the eye opener you are. People that go mass shooting generally don't expect to get out of it without at least prison time. Just like these bozos on trial. Once the poo poo was gonna get real and poor babby's might get arrested, they loving scattered like roaches when the light's flicked on.

And even with gun control, it'll just come down to knives like what happened recently and that even has higher exposure. It may be possible for a mass shooter to escape from police dragnet to fight another day, but with the age of mass surveillance, it's more unlikely.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Somebody at the Onion has a great sense of humor...
Trump Holds Strategy Meeting With Campaign’s Top Militia Leaders Ahead Of Election Day

Check the title photo...

Tarpman lives

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Starshark posted:

lol it's going to be a hung jury, isn't it?

Why hurry perfection? I mean, getting jury sequestered is like a free vacation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Don’t fear. Their emboldened buddies will commit more crimes before then.

Yep, already happening, even before the election.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Some justice still in this world...
https://twitter.com/terebifunhouse/status/802205414934781953

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

An additional bright spot is that this looks to be all Nevada elected officials, where the voters who declined to reelect them is hopefully indicative of the jury pool for the upcoming Nevada stage of the Bundy trials.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baloogan posted:

3x piddlying icbm fields ain't gonna cut it1!

Pantex, motherfucker! Tex should give you a hint at where it's located.

Of course, it's not like the 101st or the 82nd Airborne wouldn't be dropped down in Amarillo or a cavalry division scrambled out of Fort Hood if any type of secessionist movement got big enough to cause an uprising.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

again, you're making the mistake of assuming people in the military don't side with a true secessionist movement

like, my grandfather was John Brown, captured by a Marine force led by guess who? Robert E Lee

At the same time, you're assuming that secessionists or insurrectionists wouldn't piss off members of the military. I recall, during the whole Sandy Hook debate, some gun writer talking about the same thing, that the military wouldn't follow orders to confiscate weapons. When someone pointed that they've done this before in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Bosnia as part of their peacekeeping and counter-insurgency operations and we had weapons confiscation going on following Hurricane Katrina, the same guy essentially justified a terrorist campaign against military personnel and their family members to cow them into disobeying orders. The cognitive dissonance present in that dialogue was outstanding, guy couldn't fathom that would basically vindicate a military response.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

this discussion makes me think of the Bonus Army, where not only did the military happily deploy against civilian protestersother veterans, but they kept going even after the president ordered them to stop because the generalDouglas MacArthur commanding the effort thought they were all dirty commies plotting to overthrow the country

FTFY. U.S. soldiers fighting war veterans asking for their fair shake is a shameful episode in American history and it's another reason why MacArthur is a shitheel.

VikingSkull posted:

it's pretty hilarious how many West Point grads went on to fight for the Confederacy

That was largely because plantation owners would send their sons to military school than stay on the plantation where they'd get into trouble loving slaves. They did the same to their daughters, it's why the South developed that whole debutante culture, because they'd go to finishing schools when they were teenagers to avoid getting into a Mandingo situation with the slaves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

red19fire posted:

Wasn't it more like the firstborn son inherited the plantation, which was most of the parents' material wealth, and there was basically no other choice but military or business school for the second/third/etc?

There was a discussion about the long history of the useless FailSons of the wealthy getting bullshit jobs and just enough money to not embarrass themselves on chapo trap house a few months ago, a rich tradition that continues to this day.

I believed that happened as well, but the thing I recall about the firstborn stuff is that it led to situations where an owner's widow would intentionally sleep with a slave to bear a son or elevate an illegitimate heir sired from slave rape so they can keep the property, which led to the wonderful tradition of southerners claiming they had "Cherokee princess" somewhere in their bloodline to explain why they have darker skin than most.

I believe there was a famous case where a plantation owner discovered he was a product of slave rape, from slaves that he inherited. He couldn't free them, since the way the South worked, they'd just be enslaved down the road thanks to the fugitive slave acts, so he kept them, never left the plantation, and treated them as an extended family (because they were) until Emancipation Proclamation made it down to his area at the end of the war.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, Ritzenheimer is cruising for jail time, isn't he?

This is just lovely. Fucker played them like fools and I bet they're still going to overlook this and still think he supports them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Though in the US prisons are a complete hellhole so a sentence of 18 to life means that someone spends the better part of two decades in a violent, downright torturous environment deprived of most things that help people remain well-adjusted. Someone in Norway is actually living a regular (if plain) life and getting therapy, while someone in the US is lucky not to get stabbed at least twice before they get out of the same sentence.

TBH, Roof isn't going to state pen gen pop. He'll probably end up in a Supermax prison, where he'll have no physical contact with a human being for the rest of his life.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Ever tried to store all of that video?

True, but hard drives are getting cheaper. It might take 375MB to store a one minute 4K video or 3.75GB for 10 minutes, but that comes out to be 540GB for 24 hours. 1080p at 30fps gives you 216GB at 24 hours.

Of course, the thing is, even with falling costs, upgrading security cams is probably still very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The judge really needs to pull that jury switcheroo they did with Capone to keep this poo poo from happening.