Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm old enough that I remember when public buildings still had fallout shelter signs on them, and had a friendly janitor give my friends and me a tour of the largely forgotten civil defense bunker under my high school.

yup, those were the poo poo I have one somewhere

you can still find them sometimes, if you've never seen them they are usually yellow with the radiological symbol on them and they don't mean the building is radioactive, they are just there to tell the army where the stack of bodies is for easier disposal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah I can't remember the last one I saw I just know it was only a few years ago, the building was all overgrown and abandoned too

also thank the lord if you never heard one of these or similar go off

I still get a twinge whenever the EAS goes off (which seems to happen a lot nowadays)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he's a great case in favor of the death penalty IMO

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

This statement is always wrong.

I'm not in favor of it generally but in the case of a mass shooter who totally admits it and is unapologetic, and worse still does it based on such a bullshit cause as "lol different race" I can make an exception

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

I think I have a better argument.

The murderer* gets put away from society for the rest of his or her life. In a nice little cottage patrolled by nice police guard types until they die of natural causes like not getting a PS4.

Then we all mock them.

*assuming murder is totally real

e: we don't kill because we're better, we as a society just prevent those who are obviously murderous from hurting others

we can totally look down on them though

nah I get this and I'm against it normally like I said but I do think there's a very small segment of cases where the perpetrator doesn't deserve the resources

and I do think that even in those cases they deserve their rights like the appeals process etc etc

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

I grew up in East Germany and we did nuke drills into the school's basement up until the late 80's. It wasn't very often, but still regularly.

I feel bad for you guys only the Russians were gonna nuke me

y'all were gonna catch all the nukes

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
though I live near one of the longest runways in the US so the nukes I was gonna catch were the best and brightest Ivan had to offer

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah I'm gonna go out on my front porch and toast it like Leo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a fun video to watch before you go to bed

oh hey is that a shooting sta-aaaAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH MY EYES

*catches fire, disintegrates in the blastwave*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Probably just a Cold War kids thing. I was born right when Reagan took office and was getting ready for high school when Clinton was coming in, so the failed Russian coup was one of the first things, along with Desert Storm, that I saw happen live and basically understood. 89-92 or so was pretty terrifying because the Warsaw Pact collapsed, China almost (well not really) imploded and then the news was talking about how we were gonna fight the 4th largest army and they had chemical weapons and all that. It's probably about the time I got interested in military history

but at least we had a sense of humor then

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a weird derail, not that I mind, but there's a ton of fun stuff in the Airpower/Cold War thread in TFR if anyone is interested. don't be scared TFR is generally chill and that thread is filled with knowledgeable people that will answer any questions you might have

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean that was my point, though, Roof is a monster and admits it, he's 100% legally sane and the government doesn't have the wrong guy

in his case, I'm in favor of it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

this line of thinking is exactly why the death penalty is bad. "I oppose X, except in particular cases that trigger an emotional reaction in me" is basically exactly how bad justice happens

it's not an emotional thing for me though, I think prison would be better suited for rehabilitation rather than punishment but some people are beyond rehabilitation

that being said, I totally understand why people are against it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

But exactly what benefit do we get out of killing them? If rehabilitation is useless, why do we have to shift immediately to death? Why is the option to simply leave them in prison until they die not an option on the table?

because it costs money and feeds the privatized prison system

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Al! posted:

i just read that jerry brown has been denying the other members of his gang parole out of spite lol

his aura smiles and never frowns

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean my position is actually that we should decrease the number of people we execute down to the narrowest of crimes but ok if that's what you want to take from what I said

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
eh I'm also fine with abolishing it if that's what the country wants, you guys can rehabilitate Dylan Roof if you want though because I'm not helping that shitheel do anything

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I disagree

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Except arm himself?

E: I should stop, since I'm personally at peace with gun control being a dead issue for the rest of my life, or at least until the Black Panthers come back.

he is now a convicted felon, it would be illegal for him to own a firearm under current laws

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

In the US we'd call this a life sentence, hence the confusion.

to be fair in the US we also have life without parole so that's a bit more extreme

but yeah, a lot of life sentences are actually "x number of years with review for early release" which is more or less the same thing

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

i still want gladiator fights of death row guys with training and weapons etc

FULL ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK NOW

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah i see you are unfamiliar w/ the louisiana angola prison rodeo

in one of the events the convicts are sat at a table holding cards and bulls are released. the winner is the person to remain sitting the longest

hey that episode of Lockup was just on over the weekend

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
execute dirt weed merchants IMO no excuse for that poo poo in 2017

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just to provide context, that is a very common stunt the rodeo clowns do at ALL rodeo's. Now you can argue that the convicts are coerced into participating, but as far as the actual rodeo events go, that isn't outrageous.

from what was said in the segment on it on Lockup, the convicts actually look forward to it because it lets them get out and have a semblance of normality for the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

Which just makes things more hosed up tbh.

Angola is a really bad prison