Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
annihilation to traitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad one of them is dead and I hope they kill the rest of them

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

Nothing is ever going to happen, the last four will just freeze to death slowly out there and die of starvation. The stream will be one sad little nerd lying down and never waking back up.

I wish. Either law enforcement will go beanbag the stupid babies (maybe kill them if we're really lucky) or they'll give up when they start getting too cold and hungry. Maybe if they get really stupid they'll try to make a run for it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Nice! posted:

Title 18 U.S.C. § 372. Conspiracy to impede or injure officer
If two or more persons in any State, Territory, Possession, or District conspire to prevent, by force, intimidation, or threat, any person from accepting or holding any office, trust, or place of confidence under the United States, or from discharging any duties thereof, or to induce by like means any officer of the United States top leave the place, where his duties as an officer are required to be performed, or to injure him in his person or property on account of his lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or while engaged in the lawful discharge thereof, or to injure his property so as to molest, interrupt, hinder, or impede him in the discharge of his official duties, each of such persons shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than six years, or both.

Bundy & crew are held under this charge. They'll probably get some more if poo poo goes down and the idiot holdouts do actually start shooting at feds.

Someone has been killed. If charges are federal, I think they could get charged under felony murder.

Criminal law is not my area of expertise though so I could easily be very wrong.

E: I am. The Federal penal code does not include felony murder in the United States. Oregon penal code, however, does.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Okay I looked it up and apparently the Oregon felony murder statute only applies to specific crimes and I'm not seeing any way any of them could be applied to this case. Boooooo.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Philthy posted:

I hope they bury him in a tarp covered coffin.

I hope they posthumously draw and quarter him, since he's a traitor.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I love how their "call to action" is for a "rolling protest", specifying that the true patriots don't need to bother getting out of their cars, leaving their big gulp out of reach, and marching.

pretty sure most of them could still roll without a car

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ThePeavstenator posted:

Honestly just kill all white people in this country beginning with me.

okay

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

KakerMix posted:

Make it 'overweight bearded white people' and I'm down

kill whitey

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

The Dark Project posted:

Article about the hold-outs at the refuge has a great line from Fry's Dad -

"He said he came to the refuge from his home outside Cincinnati while his parents were on vacation in Costa Rica. He said they will return home in about a week."

Hahahaha, parents don't even care enough to come home from vacation to get their son out of trouble.

"Arrest him, shoot him... whatever! But we aren't gonna be back until we've had our holiday in the sun!"

If my son did anything like this ever I would disown him publicly and contact him only to instruct him to kill himself.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

"States' rights to do what, precisely?" is always the important question.

Then they usually admit that the issue was ultimately slavery but that it was the states' rights to decide whether slavery should be legal or not, and that therefore the war was fought to protect states' rights.

And they'd be right, if not for the fact that the constitution of the Confederacy explicitly prohibited any state therein from abolishing slavery on its own.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

And also, basically every state that seceded to the Confederacy did so with a big fiery speech about how important it was to be able to keep owning slaves. It requires deliberate, willful ignorance to pretend the civil war was about anything but slavery.

well yes but that doesn't negate the argument that the abolition of slavery by federal mandate (which never actually loving happened, that's also worth mentioning) would have been an overreach of the tenth amendment, and that therefore secession was necessary to protect states' rights.

I mean there are plenty of legitimate points that do, two of which I've just mentioned, that just isn't one of them.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FuhrerHat posted:

as stupid as the holdouts are im sorry to say that they've stayed long enough to actually be inspirational so long as they dont kill each other

if the feds kill them, theyre heroes
if they're arrested, they're still heroes

gg its already over

wrong. whichever one of those happens they will be completely forgotten within a matter of weeks. vague references of them will remain attached to republican talking points but completely divorced from anything resembling the reality of what happened, a la the benghazi attacks. their "sacrifice" will ultimately amount to nothing and will inspire exactly zero change in anything except the words on fox news teleprompters.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

The specific conflict being battled over was "do states have the right to secede".

It's just that the whole reason for that to be even discussed was slavery slavery slavery.

this is an asinine distinction to make. it doesn't add anything useful to any discourse on the conflict, and the question was already spurious in 1860 because the future of any republican state that can fracture any time the population has a significant disagreement should make the answer immediately obvious to anyone who honestly considers it as anything other than rhetoric for more than about a second.

theflyingorc posted:

Or if you want to be even more specific, white people being unable to deal with the idea that they weren't inherently nobler/better than black people, the economic issues are just a backdrop to the horror of considering all men to be equal

lol, people in the free states were still foaming at the mouth racist and it was commonly believed that white and black people weren't even biologically related, and many who accepted that they are still insisted that black people were some distinct breed inherently more aggressive and less intelligent and civilised. they just didn't think any person should be allowed to own another person.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FuhrerHat posted:

well.. heroes to other 'patriots'

See Related:

Waco Siege
Ruby Ridge
Walmartyr Revolution

Yeah, I predict this bullshit will make exactly as much difference in society as those events did.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

McNerd posted:

Can you define "necessary"?

I mean there have been countless times where the federal government overreached with respect to the 10th amendment, and SCOTUS slapped them down (or didn't). Surely you wouldn't say secession was necessary to protect states' rights in all these cases? If not, then why in this case?

Well presumably if the Federal government had actually tried to unilaterally end slavery throughout the entire country (which never happened, as I noted) it could have been challenged in court, like you suggest.

But that never happened, not outside of the imaginations of Lost Causers. Since the response to this imaginary usurpation was secession instead of a legal challenge (hard to challenge a law in court when it doesn't exist), I'm guessing that the scenario played in their imagination is American soldiers riding through the south summarily executing slave-owners and unleashing their negro chattel to rape white women with Abraham Lincoln's approval.

For the record, the tenth amendment is one of the least-cited, I think second only to the third. Even when the courts have ruled that something the federal government has done is unlawful, they have usually done so on grounds other than the tenth. So no, not "countless" times, not in courts in general and definitely not before the SCOTUS.

TacticalUrbanHomo has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Feb 3, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Strategic Tea posted:

I find it very hard to believe that the war was fought over slavery in the sense of any(rich white politician)one caring about the slaves. Wasn't it an ordinary case of a stronger power forcing its economics on its backwards neighbour? Just so happens the neighbour was dependant on slavery. (I mean not that there's anything 'wrong' with economic bullying as history goes; I'm not trying to demonise the north or anything).

But I know nothing about american history so v:shobon:v

this is essentially accurate. of course the effects of the abolition movement can't be dismissed; they brought about the grass-roots changes at a local level one district at a time that eventually turned "the north" into more or less a block intent on eliminating slavery with the hammer of the constitution. when it was decided that all new states in the westward expansion would be free states, that was essentially the death sentence for southern slavery, since the inevitable result would be a supermajority of free states with the ability to vote in a constitutional amendment.

but, it's still worth noting that while a lot of abolitionists were genuine humanists who understood the general equality of the races in the same sense we all understand it today (and if you don't, gently caress off), there were also an awful lot of them who were white supremacists who just happened to believe that slavery was an uncouth form for white supremacy to take. how much of the abolition movement was one or the other, I couldn't say, because the abolition movement itself is not something I've ever studied in-depth while the broader context of the civil war is.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

cumshitter posted:

The Bundys are definitely SovCits. Ammon legitimately didn't believe the FBI could do anything to him without the Sheriff's permission and was surprised that the sheriff was working with the FBI when the negotiator told him so. The entire "government can't own land" nonsense is based on a very narrow and ridiculous reading of article 4 section 3 of the Constitution, plus complete ignorance of 200+ years of case precedent.

thinking that they can idly pontificate on a subject that literally requires a doctorate to have any practically applicable understanding of is the same loving arrogance that leads creationists to deny geology, biology, and cosmology. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an extremely large overlap between the groups.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

A Stupid Baby posted:

Brown and his family were definitely hardline christian freaks, but he actually had a fairly disproportionate amount of non-christians and even atheists (fairly rare at the time, esp in KS) in his group. I think there were 2 atheist brothers in the group that ended up at Harper's Ferry. He also had financial ties to and a relationship with Emerson/Thoreau's group.

John Brown's hatred of slavery was religious, and he was also one of the few prominent anti-slavers who viewed blacks as full equals and would live and work with them. A lot of the other anti-slavers were more upset about having to compete against free labor or losing out jobs to it. They certainly didn't want the slaves hanging around and a lot of them favored shipping everyone left back to Africa

Everyone knows about Harper's Ferry, but a lot of people are unaware that before that, John Brown fitted himself and a large anti-slavery militia with claymores and went around killing pro-slavery settlers in Kansas to prevent it from becoming a slave state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottawatomie_massacre

just one episode in a largely undocumented spree of violence. dude owned.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

A Stupid Baby posted:

It's kind of hilarious that people were still using old rear end weapons just because there weren't always enough guns or ammunition.

kind of, but probably on the less interesting side of historical episodes of anachronistic weapon use

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I like how they are just hanging around and being in the way without actually doing anything. It's like the terrorist equivalent of pointing at someone really close and repeatedly saying "I'm not touching you".

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lol. "if you thought I was done exploiting your son/brother/uncle/husband/father for my insnae publicity stunt after it got him killed, you were wrong!"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I keep hoping for some kind of comedic inadvertent murder-suicide taking place with the remaining dolts, but I have largely resigned myself to the Feds merely starving them out. :saddowns:

pretty sure you become capable of hibernation if you're that fat

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't know, Lego men arms are hard to keep held up.

so are severely obese ones that never do any exercise, which might explain why he got shot

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Did whoever edited this add "emphasis: casey's" because pro bono was in italics? lmfbo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Philthy posted:

They are going to die in prison.

I wish they would die where they are right now

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
thanks for misappropriating my uniform you pretend soldier shitbag

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
why is this even being discussed. it's uncivil. subversives like these should not be talked about by polite society, they shouldn't get court hearings, they shouldn't be seen at all by the public. they should just disappear off the face of the planet as soon as they're taken into custody.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
and then when anyone asks what happened to them the government should just adamantly respond "who?"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FuhrerHat posted:

^ sovietcit right here

communists are a blight on the planet, though I do admire the decisiveness with which they quash dissent

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

10 to 20 years seems appropriate, not a bunch of goonish hyperbole about summary executions, black site torture, and public humiliation.

anyone who openly defies their government is something worse than an animal. they should die and forever be forgotten.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Yes, this.

We'll never know for sure though - any group of non-whites has to know it will end in a bloodbath if they try an armed standoff with the government. The last time anyone tried it the police dropped literal bombs on them.

that wasn't even a protest of any kind. it was police raiding a housing commission to serve warrants, which resulted in the police getting shot at.

the last time brown people in america tried anything like what these guys did was the california state capitol stuff with the black panthers back in, I think, 1970. except the black panthers in that example were actually protesting something and had a real agenda besides "me and people like me should be allowed to break the law whenever we feel like it for reasons we won't try to elaborate on".

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cover my Eyes posted:

Damnit, go to work for a couple days and this thread blows up. Now I have to play catch-up. :argh:

no you don't. the four holdouts turned themselves in after several days of talking to the FBI and, I think, some random state legislator from nevada? there were some uploads of the audio posted so find that and listen if you're interested but otherwise there's not anything particularly compelling in the last sixty or seventy pages.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

I think you'd be hard pressed to call the Oregon situation a protest of any kind either.

Right, that's why I instead described it as

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

"me and people like me should be allowed to break the law whenever we feel like it for reasons we won't try to elaborate on".

quote:

The MOVE fiasco is the closest analog we have to non-whites staging an armed standoff

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

The Black Panthers' protest at the California State Assembly was not a standoff. They violated no laws, didn't make any absurd demands, they didn't shut down the state government or threaten to shoot law enforcement if their demands weren't met. The only similarity between the two is people with guns on government property.

That's all true, but the local law enforcement apparently didn't see it that way since they arrested all of them. And that is the action they took, arrest, not summary execution.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Do you think the same thing would have happened if the Black Panthers had issued threats to shoot anyone opposing them, or to shut down the state assembly until their demands were met?

I don't know, but since we don't have an exactly analogous example I think this is a much fairer comparison than using the example of people in a housing commission shooting at cops trying to execute arrest warrants on the premises.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FuhrerHat posted:

ok i dont like this its bad but why should this validate some public opinion that these people are traitors that should be hung

they didnt open the gates or poison the well or literally any ancient analogy that holds true when sentencing criminals

is sleeping somewhere for something you believe in really something to hang somebody over

(if you answer yes youre bad)

it is if the thing you believe in is the obstruction and destruction of your own state

it's not like these people actually had any meaningful criticism of how the government works or something it's doing, they just hate the state and think it's bad and shouldn't exist. I have a feeling that if they got their wish for a lawless wasteland and found that they aren't the badass barbarians they think they are then they'd change their minds, but that's besides the point.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

VikingSkull posted:

people also forget that the 4 people who were left actually did take pot shots at what they thought was a drone but was more likely a piloted plane

so this wasn't just threats of sedition, at least two of them actually fired their guns

my great-great-great grandfather took over a Federal facility and fired some guns, he was hung for sedition

same except the three greats and instead of getting hung for sedition he was murdered by jews

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Alan Smithee posted:

"moral" defense anyway

then again there is that Render Unto Caesar thing every militia fuckboy seems to forget about

Kent Hovind, the anti-education evangelist who made millions of dollars lying to kids about science and then went to jail for refusing to pay taxes on it, defended himself from this criticism by saying "The Bible does say 'render unto Caesar what is Caesar's', but it does not say 'render unto Fred what is Caesar's.' Find where it says that and I'll pay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

My bf grew up in a super-evangelical family and went to an evangelical school and instead of Bill Nye they had to watch Kent Hovind and I'm just like "I'm so sorry that's incredibly sad" and gave him a big hug

well he's in jail rn. to work this into the topic, kent hovind tried a bunch of sovcit poo poo during his appeals and all it got him was a transfer to supermax.

also I've watched hovind's anti-education material and it's just hilariously wrong. I went into it expecting him to actually talk about evolution and repeatedly assure the audience that it's "just a theory" or some other poo poo like that, but no, he spends about an hour lying about what evolution is, and then proceeds to lie about reality to disprove his fictitious version of it.

TacticalUrbanHomo has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Feb 15, 2016