Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Does anyone happen to have the link for the document that Fry gave his attorney with the sovereign citizen tomfoolery?

No joinder please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

5/2 + 9/7 = 3.78571

3.78571 - 3.14159 = 0.6441

That's numberwang.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

"Arm of flesh" is a late Biblical expression in some places in non-Mormon texts as well, meaning human power or strength. 2 Chronicles 32:8 is a good example.

quote:

7 Be strong and courageous, do not fear or be dismayed because of the king of Assyria nor because of all the horde that is with him; for the one with us is greater than the one with him. 8"With him is only an arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God to help us and to fight our battles." And the people relied on the words of Hezekiah king of Judah.

Edit: Beaten by DVox. That's what I get for not reloading before posting... Well, looking at the original Hebrew, it's just a word that means strength that comes from the word for (right) arm. It just sounds weird in English. Entirely normal expression though.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 23:17 on May 26, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Volcott posted:

Wait, is washing your kids mouth out with soap considered child abuse these days?

Was it always?

It has in California since I've been a mandatory reporter, so the last 10+ years? I'm getting old.

It's also report mandating in New York, District of Columbia, but I'm not sure for how long.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

cumshitter posted:

What if Ryan is incompetent? What if the aggressive and uncooperative behavior he has shown to every authority figure who wasn't his own father was a symptom of the same brain damage that paralyzed his face? What if, in the federal medical prison system, he finally gets the help he needs and he can start his life over again instead of dying in prison? :unsmith:

I really thought you meant Paul Ryan for a moment there.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You all missed this gem:

Someone brought a loving old timey pirate gun :allears:

e: no it's a revolver, an old timey revolver

Is a revolver not a type of gun? It's in the gun section, right? Or is it not a pirate gun? Not trying to start gunchat, just not understanding...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

CortezFantastic posted:

She has a book about all this coming out next year apparently

I am apparently having my first migraine so I might be slow on the uptake... The attorney represents an explosive? Like symbolically? What?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Tannerite is a brand name so he's representing the company that makes that brand of explosive.

Thank you. I feel foolish now but I understand.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Clinical psych license application here, waiting to be approved by state board - can't diagnose without meeting him, ethics preclude internet doctoring, but would believe this is a reasonable diagnosis. What I've heard, especially in that long phone/radio/you tube we were on, is consistent with this description. I'll be interested to see and read the mental health expert's testimony.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Aug 31, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just had a strange thought - it would be awesome if Ryan Bundy freaks out to the point of needing to be restrained, and while struggling he inadvertently takes a taser to the face, which improbably counteracts his neurological damage and fixes his droopy face.

Sadly, I have seen people with psychiatric disabilities be tazed, and it didn't seem to fix anything. But yes it would be great if he got better.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Trial starts Wednesday, right? Is it going to be streaming?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yesss I am so grateful to work remotely.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Bundy's entrapment filing

Motion to dismiss counsel

sincerely yours, ryan c of the bundy society

Both of those link to the entrapment document. I respectfully pray that the poster edits the links.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Volcott posted:

The absolute madwoman.

Wait, did they actually call her the "standby counsel?" Isn't she just counsel at this point?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

He's still pro se, so not yet?

I dropped out of law school before* we covered this bit, so I haven't the slightest idea how this works.

*it might have also been while we were covering this bit.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

The judge had him submit a document with the reasons why she shouldn't take away his right to defend himself because of disruptions. He must've done that so the judge told him that he can still defend himself as long as there aren't any more disruptions.

Today he complained that he still has a lawyer even though he was representing himself, judge told him that the lawyer is just a "standby council" to help him along. He then argued that his brother was able to pick his own council and the judge told him that is because he is paying them, then Ryan complained that it isn't fair that someone not paying for his own council has less rights than someone who does.

Thank you! I understood (with low effort) approximately 50% of this before your explanation.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Today is the day!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm a young, light skinned, (half) Hispanic woman. I've done a lot of police liaison work as an advocate for various people and groups of people. I am friendly, helpful, gentle, and kind. gently caress the police.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DV, you make some good points above. I have seen a lot of really horrible stuff go down that I couldn't stop, like the police tazing a disabled young man in my care... but your points that attitudes like those increase the gulf between the police force and the rest of society resonate with me, and I'm going to feel into my next steps as I reconsider my position.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Their site emphasizes that they don't take money from corporations or governments, which they know because

This is a tangential question... How do think tanks/lobbying groups know that they aren't accepting money from foreign governments? When do you need to declare that? How does that work?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'm gonna guess that they don't know and they prefer it that way and do everything they can to willfully ignore all but the immediate donors

I just have this impression it changes a tax or legal status somewhere but I'm not sure why or how or how anyone would know.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I've been discussing research and Tibetan Buddhism all day. What's the Bundy news?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The main court case is just starting. Follow this podcast to stay up to date on the case without having to constantly read the thread.

Thank you, DisV... I have a million mindless data things to do myself right now since our research assistants are bright eyed and bushy tailed and as useful as Sims at this point in the semester.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Sov cits woud not last long in Alpha Complex
But who does?

Also the new edition of Unknown Armies has a firearm fetishizing adept school that geta charges from open carrying but loses power if they ever actually shoot someone.

wait what is this?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Where is this game found?

Is it like Pokémon Go? Chess? Don't starve together?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Tabletop pen and paper stuff

Okay great. Thank you for contextualizing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Sniff some paint, only then will you truly understand.

Do NOT sniff a paint.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

inhale a paint

Do NOT inhale a pint.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Random story time! My little sister was stage handing in the room where the Magna Carta is kept, and I can't remember exactly what was happening, maybe someone needed to set up additional lighting or power but they asked the National Archives people what to do.

Upshot is "do it behind the Magna Carta" is now slang for "do it unobtrusively" in her workplace and in our family.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wait can you really bring up jurisdiction at any point like it says in those papers?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We missed you, my mind has turned to mush from data wrangling and no new Bundy podcasts.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

Preach. Public Defenders get poo poo on but they are by far the most effective defense attorneys you can find because they do this on the daily. Good private defense attorneys are either former PDs or former prosecutors with drinking and driving problems (and these guys tend to suck at cross because it's not something they get to do often).

There is no greater joy than shredding some Ivy-league white-shoe civil scrub who takes thier corporate client's domestic violence case. They tend to be a pain in the rear end with extensive written motion practice ahead of trial, but if you weather that you're golden.

I must not be thinking of the right thing - why would a corporate client have a DV case? Wouldn't the District attorney be the lawyer?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

He defended the corporate client and lost.

Did you just make a domestic violence joke?

Edit: Nope! Mr Nice! lives up to his name.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Sep 21, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear. Upstanding businessmen are used to getting thier way and often pay a premium to really good civil attorneys to do so. When they get charges with smacking around thier spouse they want to go with the guy/firm that they trust with their millions. Good attorneys also tend to a bit cocky and by God if I can successfully fight off the IRS how hard could it be to whip some misdemeanor prosecutor?

They aren't bad lawyers, but criminal versus civil law are like very different dialects of the same language. Moreover if you are a good civil attorney you'll almost never see a jury.

Ah I was just confused. So they use their company's lawyer as a defense attorney. From how you phrased it I thought you meant that you as the public defender was winning against the Ivy League lawyer who was on the other side.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

In this case the goon is the prosecution. I suppose I could have worded my response more clearly as well.

I was about to edit my post above. Cool, glad that didn't happen then...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Marc was the single best recruiting tool for the FBI that I can imagine. Multiple former classmates of mine (PhD clinical psych) posted about changing attitudes towards the FBI as a result of his work.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I spent approximately 15 seconds looking for a picture of Marc Maxwell. I was not successful, but did find this:

which led me to this:
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/04/11/the-nevada-tortoise-war-is-a-right-wing-false-f/198860

quote:

The desert tortoise has become a symbolic scapegoat for right-wing media figures running defense for an anti-government cattle rancher who's threatening to wage a range war against federal law enforcement officers.
Interesting...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hallelujah!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Skellybones posted:

He's got Anime Sideface!

I think it is sadder than that, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvNrMq5OAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay well admittedly, the trigger discipline on those photos is a lot better than I anticipated.