Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't find a thread for this, so I'll just see if anyone else is into this stuff. There have been artists popping up on social media who just make this weird genre of visual art that sprang from vaporwave originally, but has taken on a lot of surrealism and experimental methods, but I don't have the vocabulary to explain what ties it together. I've found some Facebook pages that aggregate what I'm talking about, and I know there are also tumblrs, subreddits, etc out there. Here are some examples

Am I not the only one who can't get enough of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

field balm posted:

E: lol thought this literally meant post your favourite aesthetics. well cya

I think there's room in this thread for a lot of that stuff that you just posted, especially that Duchamp piece which is crazy to me that it's from before 1930. Though as far as Parappa the Rappa et al, appropriation of images from PS1 stuff out of context would be more fitting, but I also like to hear about source material and what it means to you.

For example, I never had a PS1 and my friends only had Nintendo and Sega, so Parappa the Rappa to me is more of a bygone element that I recognize only from marginal appearances elsewhere (like the back of a Simpsons comic book I read once).

Anyway, one artist I've been following is named Render Fruit

Feeling Pretty

Capricorn, always trying to reach goals

For those who ask me what I think while running

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Okay, since we're here can somebody finally explain t h i s t h i n g w i t h t h e s p a c e s to me?

It's ethereal, like you're zooming through cyberspace, and it's sort of like someone is saying it to you through a time portal. It's also an easy way to fossilize or title-ize lower-case letters on websites where you only get one font. I also started this thread in search of better ways of explaining this stuff.

For example, after my phone got irreparably broken (salt water) I took a video of my hand holding it under gently running water, with the caption "c l e a n" (I'll figure out how to get it as a webm to put here later). I've also seen sᴍᴀʟʟᴄᴀᴘs used

sector_corrector posted:

Hmm, interesting. Not sure if it fits, but have you ever heard of the band Wawes?

I haven't. Link?

Also, shout-out to the James Ferarro thread in NMD, and while the Far Side Virtual album cover uses more modern elements, this music video owns for rear end dead dick (thx fjc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNhP6aoP6XY

Stinky_Pete has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Jan 28, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
brutalism? where are those from?

also, my alma mater had a bit of that

You could film Divergent on this poo poo

Stinky_Pete has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Jan 28, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

No love for brutalism?

o n e a y y y t e a

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dank as gently caress

Im dying

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Doakes posted:

Anyone know what software is used for stuff like this? Its really cool

Lord Lambeth posted:

Probably Maya. It's one of those programs that's goddamn everywhere.

Either Maya or Blender. Plus some other editing software probably from Adobe to add effects like film grain for the Capricorn cinegram.

Also, the short film Kung Fury doesn't fit this aesthetic, but I'm reminded that there is a parallel style/theme exploited by that and Hotline Miami that focuses on a specific part of 80s entertainment media (as opposed to consumer product comm). Yet the Venn diagram of the 'Miami nights' style and this vaporcraft(?) basically just has VHS, skylines, and grids of lazerz at the center.

field balm posted:

What I recognise as the first 'big' vaporwave thing is this track by blank banshee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sGT3tmZJ5s. Importantly, it is sampled pretty much wholesale from a track from Donkey Kong Country https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XCk2HFdNc.
Likewise I assume most of the visuals in the video are made using the stock assets in some kind of early 3d animation software.

Awesome, thanks for palimpsest link, and this music video is dank. That's a lot like an experimental game I want to make as a spiritual successor to LSD: Dream Emulator. I just have no background in modeling or animation, so every time I open up Unity I have no assets to write scripts about and just spin my wheels or give up. If anyone wants to collaborate I have plenty of ideas.

Also, here's some source material straight out of 1990 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ, really good background for blazing

Stinky_Pete has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jan 28, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't really get it but it looks ok. Is this an actual art movement or is this just semi-similar poo poo you found

It's a movement made possible by social media. This Facebook page is for artists to post their OC and where I got a lot of the images I posted here

Craig Blackmoore in particular does some interesting stuff

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you, another piece of the puzzle found. Come to think of it, when I started tidying up using Mari Kondo's book, which involves some animism about objects, and getting rid of so much clutter, I realized I could even use this aesthetic as inspiration for my home decor, thinking back to some photo I've seen (but can no longer find) of just a bare, clean room with like a marble statue, a fern, and a vase with one flower in it. The phrase "the 'ahh-ness' of things" really clicks for me. Wabi-sabi seems especially apt here as well, and it's no wonder that there seems to be so much Japanese influence.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

allahu carbonara!

Also, this song captures a lot of that "lost world" vibe that I get from the vaporwave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT76k5iM5oA

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

That's so dank. It should be called something like IKEAcore or infocore.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress yeah, I didn't know there was a pdf and backstory. My friend showed me Millennial Dream Corp last year but it's hard to listen to without context and I can't believe I didn't simply scroll down.

Also of note is Hello, Arnold on the same bandcamp.

The kana reads "sakka heddo" (soccer head)

THE MILLENNIAL DREAM CORPORATION VOL 2 posted:

It's 2014. Arnold has been running Grandpa's boarding house since 2008 (when Grandpa died at the age of 91), just before the recession hits. Six long years of financial struggle finally force him to sell the house. On the bus to his new studio apartment, he realizes his life will become utterly meaningless without the communal responsibility of running the house. What is he qualified to do? Hell, maybe his life has been meaningless for a while. First his Grandpa, then Gerald in Afghanistan; the proximity of these two blows to his childhood naivete have left him an empty shell. At least he's got some extra pocket cash from the house. He sees an electronics store from the bus, and promptly pulls to get off. He needs something to distract him from the crippling nothingness of adulthood, and with all this cash, he's feeling justified in splurging on state of the art technology, a host of rudimentary companion robots (he always was a tech-head).

Of course, these things only distract for a moment. His mind continues to wander to his lost childhood; all the characters; the urban legends; the empty lot; the aquarium; Stinky; Sid; HELGA -- oh, Helga. He can't take it anymore. He takes a cocktail of dissociative and hallucinogenic drugs. He's armed with PCP, LSD, Ketamine, and all the consumer electronics a boy/man could want.

The following recording captures Arnold's psychotic trip down the rabbit hole of a childhood he desperately wants to both forget and recapture.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Nice, here's a sampling for non-clickers

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

:weebwords:

I found this if it's not too big. One of these may also suit your needs.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
My post in the wordseye thread that also belongs here:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

It was this close to being a bottle of humid air. I bet you could get people to buy humid air if you pressurized it enough in the impressive-looking angular metal container that they'd actually be paying for.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

At least post-punk/parody/noise culture imagery from the 90s was explicitly scathing, destructive and transformative about the exact same oversaturation of corporate culture into the public space, while the new internet-based aesthetic seems totally lonely, stoned, and castrated

I didn't know art had a dick. Or what you're looking at, but the stuff I see on my facebook feed just feels like digital artists playing around with materials, and some people trying to transcend a/the medium

One guy does found-paper-only collages

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread