Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Erev posted:

(my first con will be the upcoming WonderCon)

Hey, I'll be at WonderCon too! My plan is to be at any publishing/writing panels (I'm a freelance editor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Hey, I'll be at WonderCon too! My plan is to be at any publishing/writing panels (I'm a freelance editor).

Awesome! I am looking forward to them finally posting the panel schedule so I can start figuring out what I want to see. I do some writing as a hobby so some of those panels could be fun. If they offer a decent beer on-site we should totally grab one one day.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I put some Wondercon / LACC tips in the 2nd post.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

For food, J-Wok is the tits. It's just outside the major hub but not so far as to make it a death march. It's pretty awesome Thai food and priced fairly reasonably, especially for the Gaslamp ($10-$15/person).

On the more expensive front, I'm a huge fan of the Strip Club. It's 21+ but that's not because of nudity or anything, it's because they have open loving flames all over the place. Why are there open flames? Because you get to grill your own steak. Yes, you choose the cut and they provide you with the materials you need to grill your own steak (seasoning, tongs, etc). You pay close to market price per cut and if you're like me and get pissed because most steak houses gently caress up your steak, you only have yourself to bitch at if it's overdone. It runs about $30-$40 per person with drinks, but can make a great formal-y dinner.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah but are there rear end and Titties

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Yeah I need to know this. Is it called 'Strip Club' because it is one? Or is it just a clever name that leaves people sad and disappointed?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Or a cleaver play on the whole steak thing like a NY Strip.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Yeah I need to know this. Is it called 'Strip Club' because it is one? Or is it just a clever name that leaves people sad and disappointed?

Tbf isn't that what a strip club does

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Tbf isn't that what a strip club does

yeah but at least theres food

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Soarer posted:

Or a cleaver play on the whole steak thing like a NY Strip.

Pretty much this. First time I went I expected a slight bit of nudity, because it is 21+ but nope. The waitresses are more dressed than Hooter's.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Weird Al is playing Thursday at a theater at SDSU, presale is right now
http://weirdal.com/tour/

Regular sale is Friday
http://www.ticketmaster.com/weird-a...2&minorcatid=51

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat, I didn't get the heads up and now I can't get a Wondercon guest badge.

Also, Comic-Con posted the layout for Wondercon
http://comic-con.org/toucan/02-wondercon-los-angeles-convention-center

Here's what's interesting
"WonderCon will be utilizing RFID badges, so you will be required to tap in and tap out at various locations."

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Badge pickup? What is this, the middle ages? (Ah well, I suppose I really should experience that once.)

Their use of RFID is clever and makes sense. Not only does it provide metrics to show what is popular, what sucks, and what to invite back/invite more of but it also lets you ensure that the people trying to get back into a full hall (due to whatever reason) were the same ones that originally left the full hall. (Well, the same badges at least.)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Saturday at wondercon is close to selling out

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Re: Wondercon, but also likely relevant to Comiccon:

http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/07-your-wondercon-rfid-badge

quote:

To help prevent scalping and counterfeit badges, WonderCon 2016 badges will be enabled with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tags. At various access points in and around the Los Angeles Convention Center, you will encounter gates with a large “Tap Here” indicator (like the example at left). All you need to do is tap your badge briefly to the indicator. When you do, you’ll get a green light that indicates you’ve been validated and are okay to enter. When you leave, you must also tap your badge out so you may re-enter when you return.

It is extremely important you remember to tap your badge when you leave, or you could be denied re-entry and sent to the customer service desk in a different location. If you are sent to customer service to resolve a badging issue, you will need a photo ID to validate that you are the badge holder of record.

In theory it makes sense, but I can't wait to see how this affects traffic in practice :laffo:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Early Bird Hotels now on sale
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/early-bird-hotel-sale

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Edit: ^^^^ BASTARD!!!!

The early bird hotels are up. Note: none of these are walking distance from the convention center but they aren't all in hotel circle this year.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm set up at the Best Western - seems like a good compromise between 'cheap' and being half the distance my original, fully refundable hotel was. It's also near some accessible EV chargers, which I'll need to visit at some point.

How do the shuttles work? How often do they run?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Erev posted:

I'm set up at the Best Western - seems like a good compromise between 'cheap' and being half the distance my original, fully refundable hotel was. It's also near some accessible EV chargers, which I'll need to visit at some point.

How do the shuttles work? How often do they run?

The past couple years they've switched to 24 hour shuttles. I think they're every 15ish minutes during the day, every half hourish at night.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The shuttles aren't bad. If you are on a tight schedule you might not want to rely on it to get you there on time though

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I snagged Town and Country. I was there last year and while I would prefer downtown, the trolley makes Town and Country pretty easy to deal with and now I don't have to worry about the hotel sale clusterfuck.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
I've always recommended the Town and Country or the Handlery hotel for folks that want cheaper rates a little further out. The nice thing about those is they are within a block of each other and are the First/Last stops on the red line shuttle route. Saves having to ever wait for the shuttle to do all the other hotels. If you're at the T&C coming back just get off at the Handlery and walk across the street.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
And last year at least you could get a trolley pass for the whole con for just $20. Not that I saw passes get checked often, but it's best to be on the safe side.

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
SURPRISE! Trade Pro registration is now Open! Get in!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress I just realized A Cock Shaped Fruit didnt gimme his real name, can I put in whatever or is it better to wait and get it?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress I just realized A Cock Shaped Fruit didnt gimme his real name, can I put in whatever or is it better to wait and get it?

Just put A Cock Shaped Fruit in as his real name. That seems like a perfectly logical name to me.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Just tell them it's a stage name

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

this isn't AVN wakawaka

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Check the birth certificate

Cock is short for richard

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Check the birth certificate

Cock is short for richard

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Well, that sucks

https://twitter.com/Comic_Con/status/707730044555137024

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They did this at least last year if not the past 2 years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

welp, hotel reg is gonna be a goddamn madhouse

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Wondercon sched is up. I like this panel lineup a lot more compared to last year
http://wondercon2016.sched.org/

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

Wondercon sched is up. I like this panel lineup a lot more compared to last year
http://wondercon2016.sched.org/

I definitely see enough to keep me occupied. I'll have to draft a schedule when I get home from work. I'm curious how packed the panels will be considering the venue... and how long it'll take to get from point to point.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

welp, hotel reg is gonna be a goddamn madhouse

Glad I got Town and Country through Early Bird. Would prefer downtown, but don't trust my luck.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.comic-conhq.com/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got scanned for this waiting in line at Hall H last year. I just don't see how they can do a year's worth of content making it worth any subscription fee honestly. Although knowing CCI they'll probably add another registration phase for subscribers. Not that they've done this or will do it, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Get set for another parking lottery
http://www.aceparking.com/comic-con/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

parking lottery: 1) hope you find a spot at the mariott. 2) leave your car for half a week 3) uber

• Locked thread