Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Next day lines are official this year
https://twitter.com/ComicConnie/status/755138004121899009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you have Conan tickets, EVERYONE from your party has to be there when you pick them up. They don't make it super clear but one of my party members isn't going to get to go tonight because of this (and I'm not able to sell the extra set we got either).

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone know what exactly will be streamed on that clinic con HQ thing?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Limiting lines in the exhibition hall is kinda weird. A bunch of booths wouldn't let you line up past a certain point so people were just awkwardly loitering near the line and when it got shorter you could jump in. This led to some places getting jam packed and security people yelling at everyone since too many people were standing there. Seems like a wonky solution. Even a long line dragged along the walls is better than a clusterfuck mob.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cerepol posted:

Anyone know what exactly will be streamed on that clinic con HQ thing?

Surgeries, ER visits, abortion papers, etc.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rocco posted:

Surgeries, ER visits, abortion papers, etc.

Don't forget funerals. I think the motto is "We put the fun in funeral" this year.

The heat is killing me this time. Too hot and too much humidity, I don't have enough deodorant for any conversations. Preview night was a mess. The convention hall seemed to have shittier than usual air conditioning making everything inside just bleh. I almost feel bad for people who're spending all day waiting for Hall H.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I wonder how Hall H will be this year now that there is a bigger difference between each block of programming and it's not all just movies.

Maybe I can actually show up in a few hours and not have to wait long to get into the Feral Audio thing.

Probably not but I'm a dreamer.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
So yeah I just wandered into Hall H. No line outside. Hall is like 1/3 full at most.

I could get used to this.

Alright I hope Dan Harmon is drunk as hell lets do this.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Melting. I thought the weather was gonna be nice

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Yeah I feel like going outside and grabbing drinks or walking around the embarcadero or something but I know the cruel sun is waiting for me. I dunno what else to do with all this time I have to kill before Kung Fu Extravaganza at 8:00.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. This year is terrible for anything outside. Mac cosmetics has a whole star trek stage over by the children's museum and they're passing out umbrellas to people in line. You have to give them back but at least someone's thinking.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Anyone looking for a place to escape to (from the convention center and/or heat) - McCormick and Schmidt's at the Omni hotel is surprisingly open. Walked right in at 5:15 and got a seat at the bar. Room to spare. Lots of tables open. They're good but their normal menu prices are fairly high, though they have a really good discounted con menu from 2:30 to 10:00.

Meanwhile everything else in Gaslamp is ducking packed, expectedly.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Anyone have 1 or 2 wristbands to the Funny or Die party on Saturday and don't want them? My group of four has two but we need two more...

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
How hot is it inside?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Soylentbits posted:

How hot is it inside?

Depending on when you're inside, it's not that bad. It'd feel a lot better if it was better outside but it's certainly no where near as bad in as it is out.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Trying to get day drunk yesterday was impossible in that heat.

Archer live was a ton of fun. The food and drinks were a bit weak though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Don't wait in the suicide squad line if you have a Samsung phone or know someone with one. Between 11 and 12 you can skip the line each day showing a phone. Get a plus one too

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
Where is the fulfillment room this year?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
In the Hyatt is what my roommate says

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The square enix experience by the CVs on market is doing first three beers for two dollars per.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

RevKrule posted:

The square enix experience by the CVs on market is doing first three beers for two dollars per.

Man. I was gonna ask if it's decent beer but for 2bux a pop gently caress it. That's hard to come by these days.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Satorr posted:

Man. I was gonna ask if it's decent beer but for 2bux a pop gently caress it. That's hard to come by these days.

It's ballast point which is actually really good, but it's almost all IPAs so be prepared for that. Closed for tonight but tomorrow check it out.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Followed the stream of people out of Ballroom 20 after Killing Joke, down the stairs outside of Sails, and onto the street. There wasn't anything to tap out the badge on, and when I asked a Comiccon person after I'd realized, they said "Don't tap out." (I.e. don't worry about it). Do they reset the system every night or something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They didn't even check it going in after hours. Man this tap out system is bullshit and just bottlenecks the exits which is apparently what they wanted all along

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

For better or worse foot traffic this year in general seems to have been cut down. I don't know if the new system is to blame but I feel like there's less festive atmosphere too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't know if the new system is to blame but I feel like there's less festive atmosphere too
Hmm. I wonder if the 90 degree weather has anything to do with that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Are we in the same San Diego

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Majorly surprised with how good today's weather is, we've walked 6 miles and don't want to die.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Kevin Smith line still hasn't moved. Still emptying room of Marvel people. I think it was supposed to start 45 minutes ago. Poor guy getting shafted again this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This year has kinda been mediocre at best for me.

Little to no one I wanted to see in the exhibit hall. Minimal panels I went to. Certainly almost nothing new.

The heat just destroyed me on Wednesday-Friday with yesterday's overcast morning being the only saving grace. The hall was muggy and sweaty as poo poo, plus it seemed smellier than other years; I wanted to peruse small press but every time I went over there it smelled like nacho cheese and death from all the crop dusting, every loving time.

The few artists I wanted to get work from either decided not to this year or were full by the time I got to them. A lot of these artists are never full, so good for them, not so much for me though.

Really the best thing was two Conan tapings, which was fun but wasn't what I wanted out of SDCC.

There's a lot of off sites but most of them suck and the few good ones have ultra lines because there's so many bad ones, but that leads to other issues since the heat was so awful. So many lovely "have you picture taken in front of a backdrop of some show" things which just seem like low effort, low reward. There are some decent handouts though, Paddy's pub is handing out a super useful portable, collapsable cup, so if you haven't been over there yet, do that. And the Mr. Robot F Society masks are surprisingly high quality plastic.

The volunteers, certainly outside the convention center, seemed like they knew less and were even less organized than usual.

Some of this is also the fact I come to SDCC a lot for the comic talent but the list of talent I haven't met/haven't had sign books for me has dwindled immensely just by nature of going so much.

I'm sitting in my hotel at 6 AM, twiddling my thumbs trying to decide when I should even leave the room when in previous years, I'm already halfway to the convention center at this point. For the first time in I don't remember how many years, I'm probably just gonna wait for the hall to open and walk in the front rather than queueing up inside.

On a positive note, I had little to no problems with the RFID system surprisingly, especially after I figured out exactly where to press my badge. On a negative note, sometimes I felt like the only one who had this "trick" down.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Of the on or off-site "experience" things, which are worth waiting for? I have been working all week so I haven't had any time to enjoy anything here, and I want to cram some fun stuff in today since its the last day, but I have no idea what's worth waiting in line for. I'm thinking of checking out the Suicide Squad thing and some of the weird VR experiences inside, but other than that is there anything I shouldn't miss?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
If you have a Samsung phone, you should be able to get into the Suicide Squad thing faster

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Did anyone get a mr poopybutthole pillow and wants to trade for a pickles stein? I swear to god the adult swim green is comic con distilled bullshittery

Jerking yourself off in the sun while other people figure out the meta game and the staff couldn't hide their well deserved contempt for you

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
You should have just let me get you one since i was knocking the poo poo out of that Eric Andre game.

Con this year was also a bit of a meh feeling. No real panels I had to go see. The floor wasn't too much of interest and any exclusives or purchases were done quickly. The artist I did want to see also were sitting this one out or just not around.

I did like the new system for the simple fact that I could put my badge in my pocket and be done with it. No more having to show 15 different people a stupid badge after you get through the machines.

Oh, and can we just let the idea that you're going to get a good deal on Sunday die already? I kept hearing this concept go around and it hasn't been true in a good number of years since the majority of these vendors are either at other local conventions or professional vendors online. The old days where it was small shops making that big chunk of green for the year by bringing their comic shop goodies has been less and less a thing for a long time. There really is no "make a deal Sunday" anymore. It's a normal business day for them and they bounce out.

The highlight honestly, and quiet depressingly, was the amount of PokemonGO that there was to be had there. But man, gently caress that heat. I had to change shirts 3 times on Friday. I sort of wish more folks would take a break and reset themselves cause this heat created the worse Con funk possible.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I kicked the poo poo out of the rope challenges, did anyone get a Rick head they wanna trade for a Morty head? We got two since they did it by section.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Finally home. Seemed like it all went by so fast. Staying in until Monday was a good plan.

Definitely a good year for me.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Other than the heat, things were great for me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

And I got crud. So that's just a capper on a year I'd rather forget. Hopefully looking for a better next year.

I guess people are really saying traffic was way down in a lot of aisles over previous years, basically confirming that counterfeiting was a much bigger problem than scalping of passes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Returning registration (the new name for attendee prereg) will happen sometime in early 2017, if I had to guess, second or third Saturday in February (this is not an official date, but based on how things have worked in the past, it's an educated guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm still grandfathered from last years proreg I believe

• Locked thread