Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

tasslex posted:

I've always wanted to go to Comic Con but reading the OP definitely talked me out of it. Everything about this sounds horrible, from getting a badge to the lines, all of it. I sure wish I'd have done it in my early 20s when I had a higher tolerance for bullshit. I hope you all have fun!

If I had started going to SDCC now instead of 7 or 8 years ago, and heard the hoops I have to go through all year (yes, all year) just for one weekend, there's no loving way.

When I went the first time, I bought tickets about 3 months before the show and could get tickets almost up until the first day. I didn't do hotelpocalypse because I had friends who lived in SD and parking could be pretty readily found.

Now I have two opportunities to MAYBE get a pass. Parking is a system of .... well, who the gently caress knows what they're doing this year. Hotelpocalypse is a nightmare of typing speed, reflexes, internet speed and luck. Literally the only time you aren't anxious about the whole thing is maybe a week before SDCC and a week after SDCC.

gently caress, why do I keep going again?

Also, I've got a group of three I'm trying to get passes for so i'm willing to team up but it can be a little squirrelly as we fill up an entire purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

May the odds be in everyones favor today.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Separate browsers is smart because then you have different caches.

My internet went out. Thankfully I have tethering but gently caress comcast.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Saturday is gone.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I think someone in my group got in on the first group in. Lucky as poo poo. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in with 5 shots.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

For food, J-Wok is the tits. It's just outside the major hub but not so far as to make it a death march. It's pretty awesome Thai food and priced fairly reasonably, especially for the Gaslamp ($10-$15/person).

On the more expensive front, I'm a huge fan of the Strip Club. It's 21+ but that's not because of nudity or anything, it's because they have open loving flames all over the place. Why are there open flames? Because you get to grill your own steak. Yes, you choose the cut and they provide you with the materials you need to grill your own steak (seasoning, tongs, etc). You pay close to market price per cut and if you're like me and get pissed because most steak houses gently caress up your steak, you only have yourself to bitch at if it's overdone. It runs about $30-$40 per person with drinks, but can make a great formal-y dinner.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Soarer posted:

Or a cleaver play on the whole steak thing like a NY Strip.

Pretty much this. First time I went I expected a slight bit of nudity, because it is 21+ but nope. The waitresses are more dressed than Hooter's.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Edit: ^^^^ BASTARD!!!!

The early bird hotels are up. Note: none of these are walking distance from the convention center but they aren't all in hotel circle this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Erev posted:

I'm set up at the Best Western - seems like a good compromise between 'cheap' and being half the distance my original, fully refundable hotel was. It's also near some accessible EV chargers, which I'll need to visit at some point.

How do the shuttles work? How often do they run?

The past couple years they've switched to 24 hour shuttles. I think they're every 15ish minutes during the day, every half hourish at night.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress I just realized A Cock Shaped Fruit didnt gimme his real name, can I put in whatever or is it better to wait and get it?

Just put A Cock Shaped Fruit in as his real name. That seems like a perfectly logical name to me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They did this at least last year if not the past 2 years.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got scanned for this waiting in line at Hall H last year. I just don't see how they can do a year's worth of content making it worth any subscription fee honestly. Although knowing CCI they'll probably add another registration phase for subscribers. Not that they've done this or will do it, but I wouldn't put it past them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

For those interested, WonderCon is returning to Anaheim next year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

News-ish for next year (2017).
Looks like Disney's looking to go almost toe to toe with SDCC by moving D23 to July.
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/03/28/disney-announces-july-date-for-d23-expo-2017/
Most likely this'll be the weekend before SDCC next year.

I would say this will make getting into next year a little easier because people will have to choose but I know that's just not the case. However, don't expect Disney to show up at all.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Welp, gone are the days of trying to fill a form in under 1 minute to get a hotel. Looks like they're going to the waiting room system.
http://comic-con.org/cci/hotels

Without it being on a weekend, in the middle of the week, this is going to make it a LOT harder for people with loving jobs to actually do this.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Still waiting for mine. Anyone else in the same boat? Not sure who I'd need to contact if I don't see anything in my inbox by tomorrow.

Still waiting on mine as well, as is my wife.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

And we're ~24 hours away and I still have no email. This doesn't have me anxious at all. yes it does

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I just got our emails so I guess 48 hours now means <24 in CCI minds.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

The link doesn't seem custom to each person

Having people still pick 6 hotels tells me it's not so much a lottery anymore.

It's a lottery within a lottery!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

can anyone comment on the Hrard Rock or Hilton or Mariott gaslamp (not marquis)? I didnt even have them on my radar til now

Marriott gaslamp's nice but they'll charge for wifi and it's $40/day parking.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, I was first group as well. We'll see how this goes. I was as fast as possible but still totally unsure.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

All my downtown choices were available, despite getting 12000. Two in my group started with sub 2000, so I like our chances.

I don't think they pulled choices as they filled up.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Nah, go in now and most, if not all, the downtown choices are gone.

Well then.

Also I was hoping maybe calling would get me around the waitroom (but still had waitroom up as backup). Sadly if you were thinking of doing the same thing next year, they got smart and basically said "yeah, if you want to actually get a downtown hotel, this is not the way to do it."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

For people who weren't the fastest form fillers.

https://twitter.com/onPeak/status/717477677825810432

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hotel selection emails are going out right now. Got my top choice so that's about the best thing going for me this week.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, it's super weird. The two other people in my party haven't received anything either. But the link I got certainly takes me to the right place.

Although remember, onPeak is just TPHousing with a new name. It's the same shitshow company it was last year, just new flashier colours.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This analysis makes the process sound worse than the usual "slam the server and fill out the form in under a minute" of previous years and honestly, less fair.
http://sdccblog.com/2016/04/hotelpocalypse-2016-recap-the-great-randomizer/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ebenezer posted:

Check your email... Parking lottery emails are going out now.

I guess I don't have enough email addresses because if this is anything like hotels, they let all the winners know yesterday and will let the losers know today. This would mean between ~15 email addresses spread across a decent group (4 people), none of us got poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fox is going to start ramping down what they bring to SDCC, so's Disney.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04...ng-out-as-well/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Tickets for Hop-Con 4.0 at Stone go on sale on Wednesday.
http://nerdist.com/hop-con-4-0-will-tap-beers-by-wil-wheaton-jonah-ray-and-more/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Star Trek Beyond is having its world premiere at SDCC in outdoor IMAX. It'll be taking place at the park behind the convention center, the same park that had the Star Wars thing last year.

http://comic-con.org/sites/default/files/forms/cci216_startrek_pr.pdf

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Try this link:
https://compass.onpeak.com/e/73CCI16/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I guess the badges are being mailed out in utterly non-descript mailers that could be easily mistaken for junk mail.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Someone made a map of a lot of offsites with dates and times and it's kinda great.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1fhIHMNPWDhx7dhBBH6CdWka9M-o

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I hope no one was hoping to win that trip to the premiere of Star Trek just to meet Anton Yelchin because i have bad news for you.....

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

San Diego and Cox (more like Cocks amirite?) are joining to provide free weefee to the Gaslamp district during con.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Cox-Free-Wifi-downtown-san-diego-all-star-game-comic-con-383870111.html

Also have an exhibit hall map. Yup. looks like most years, a few small exceptions (no Sony) but otherwise you get the gist if you've been before.
https://issuu.com/comic-con/docs/cci2016_exhib_hall_map

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 22, 2016

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Rocco Botte/Mega 64 should be there as usual. Always worth stopping by for a laugh.

Always be sure to ask where the free stuff is at their booth, or hell, anyone's booth, because that's just what they want to hear.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I learned last night that they shipped to the address of the person who bought the tickets, not the address they have on file for you member id (which I thought would be the case). So I have my passes but I don't have my passes (as the friend who was the primary purchaser is in another state).

Keep this in mind if you haven't received yours yet and bought in a group.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Someone has a great sense of humor or loves to gently caress with people because having Vampire Diaries and Originals in different rooms one after another is a mark of a masochist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hard Rock Cafe (not Hotel mind you) is doing it's third annual comic drive for troops. If you give them a comic or graphic novel, they'll give you a lanyard good for like 10% off your bill.

Don't do it for the discount, do it because you have stacks of glossy paper sitting in your closet that's worth nothing and you never read and would be more useful to someone sitting in the middle of nowhere looking to occupy their time.

• Locked thread