Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neat, I can see my apartment in the Texas DLC.
They did a good job modelling the towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I keep humming and hawing over whether or not to get Iberia. It's been on sale a couple of times recently but £10-11 still seems like a lot. I feel like £7-8 is probably more realistic for what it's worth? Or I can maybe get ATS with some DLC since I think those are on sale too? Idk, make a decision for me.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I keep humming and hawing over whether or not to get Iberia. It's been on sale a couple of times recently but £10-11 still seems like a lot. I feel like £7-8 is probably more realistic for what it's worth? Or I can maybe get ATS with some DLC since I think those are on sale too? Idk, make a decision for me.

iberia is cool and good and you should get it. I really like it.

ATS is really good too but if you don't have it yet or money is an issue I would stick with iberia. Steam is having a sale now so it might even be on sale.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

If you’re into driving around Europe, get Iberia - the current price is fair, it’s a lot of map you’re getting here.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

AlbertFlasher posted:

iberia is cool and good and you should get it. I really like it.

ATS is really good too but if you don't have it yet or money is an issue I would stick with iberia. Steam is having a sale now so it might even be on sale.

Thanks, I've decided to go for it. I've been having some carpal tunnel-like strains in my hand/arm with work lately and I like trucking because it lets me rest my arm in a different position for a bit while I listen to music, but I had pretty much exhausted the rest of the ETS2 map so I fancied something new.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wooo, we're going to...well, either Ukraine or Kansas. Or both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTzkLzia_S0

edit: whoops

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 4, 2023

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Squiggle posted:

Wooo, we're going to...well, either the Ukraine

(Sorry, just a random neuron firing off.)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

likely Kansas; though it won't surprise me if they announce doing Ukraine next after the West Balkans expansion

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

halokiller posted:

likely Kansas; though it won't surprise me if they announce doing Ukraine next after the West Balkans expansion

I'm okay with either or both. SCS has been nailing it recently. Texas DLC is :kiss:

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Have a six week old daughter, lots of late nights holding her.

Bought ETS2 on steam deck on a whim, and what a dream game to have with a baby in your arms and a podcast going.

Added gyro mouse look when touching the right stick, to look left and right, on release it recenters the interior view, works a dream.

Playing with manual shifting and always hardest parking for super fun challenges in between the chill.

Now just waiting for a Sale to scoop up all the dlc.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh drat, congratulations on truck sim, the Steam Deck, and your daughter!

If you don't want to wait, Nuuvem is actually selling the ETS2 DLCs at a good deal: https://www.nuuvem.com/us-en/item/euro-truck-simulator-2

No good in South America or Europe, though. They're a good storefront, just Brazil-based.

EDIT: If you're not aware, ETS2 will run even better on the Deck if you tell it to use Proton (any version) in the steam Settings for the game, compared to the native Linux build. Not sure why, but Proton-emulated is the way to go for it - can pretty much run at high/max settings.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 19, 2023

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022

Squiggle posted:

Oh drat, congratulations on truck sim, the Steam Deck, and your daughter!

If you don't want to wait, Nuuvem is actually selling the ETS2 DLCs at a good deal: https://www.nuuvem.com/us-en/item/euro-truck-simulator-2

No good in South America or Europe, though. They're a good storefront, just Brazil-based.

EDIT: If you're not aware, ETS2 will run even better on the Deck if you tell it to use Proton (any version) in the steam Settings for the game, compared to the native Linux build. Not sure why, but Proton-emulated is the way to go for it - can pretty much run at high/max settings.

Oh amazing tip, was thinking it looked a little rough. Will give it a go now!

And thanks! (I’m on the UK, but imagine next sale is not far away)

EDIT: Holy crap what an amazing difference on proton, I put it in high settings, 200% res scaling for super clarity, and limited to 40fps and gets at least 2-3 hours of battery life and looks night and day better!!!

Thanks Squiggle

idrismakesgames fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 20, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
New public beta branch available today with some cool stuff:

Ownable gas cisterns
Sound scatter for ambient sound and directional sound according to camera view
Adaptive Cruise Control and Emergency Braking (people figured out a way to enable this in previous dev builds before it was ready; hopefully it's better now)
Random road bumps for a little more realism
Career history stat redesign
Choice when economy is reset during a game load of whether you teleport to your HQ garage or any service station of your choice

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Stupid question, but do these truck sims actually have any economy? As in, prices changing due to some factors, that you can take advantage of or lose money not paying attention?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Stupid question, but do these truck sims actually have any economy? As in, prices changing due to some factors, that you can take advantage of or lose money not paying attention?

Nah. There will be some differences in prices based on commodities and routes but there isn't some sort of market based economic system in place.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I did appreciate how one of the updates last year made petrol prices rise significantly in most countries in ETS2, lol.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There's a guy putting out amazing sounding engines lately, this one is the best but there are others: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2965630286
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G_tXheBeZQ&t=50s

There's also a really good physics mod here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2254213086

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Oklahoma coming to ATS August 1st.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0x21pq-cCY

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The only good thing to come from Oklahoma:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

They did a really good job with oklahoma. They've improved so much over the years. It's insane on how bad the earlier ATS areas look in comparison.

I think with Oklahoma coming out in August I think Oct/Nov for the Kansas dlc.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I recently got ATS after putting hundreds of hours into ETS. I'm enjoying it a lot! While I've been to the US IRL, my experience is pretty limited, so it's nice to experience lots of different places, even in stripped-down form.

Observations so far:

- Zooming down a freeway at 80mph is so much fun.

- Oregon and Washington look great, definitely my favourite areas so far.

- In ETS, you're rarely more than two hours away from a rest stop or petrol station at any one time. Therefore, I get quite lax with it. In ATS, I've found I have to consciously gauge with the map whether I can make it to the next stop without risking a fine/running dry. I've heard this is particularly an issue for Idaho and possibly Wyoming, which I don't have yet. Also, it seems like most stops are not immediately adjacent to the freeway/whatever, unlike in ETS. I imagine this is all true to life, it just requires a bit of a change in thinking.

- I knew about the turning right on a red light thing, but it's still tricky to get the hang of. It's messed me up in other games too.

- The trucks are so big! Which can sometimes be a mixed blessing.

- The consensus seems to be that southern California is by far the worst part of the map, and I must have driven down a chunk of I-5 at least half a dozen times already. Still better than the untouched sections of the ETS base map though (UK, Benelux, Switzerland) and the Going East DLC.

- Are there any speed cameras at all? I know the US doesn't have nearly as many as Europe, or even just the UK alone, but I would've thought California might have a few at least.

- What's the deal with these extremely tight gas stations?

- Traffic lights take so long to change! I've learned that you preferably want to avoid any major metro areas unless you're going there specifically for a delivery. It's nice to be able to see them in first-person without having to stop super early though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

No speed cameras, just the occasional cop on the highway that'll pop you for speeding. SoCal is the worst as it was part of the base game along with Nevada, but it's slowly getting overhauled.

Most of the gas stations outside of the bigger truck stops are built for cars, so that's kind of accurate. At worst, just drop the trailer, get gas, hook up, and go.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I wasn't expecting Arkansas after Nebraska. Kinda figured they keep going up into the Dakotas.

https://blog.scssoft.com/2023/09/introducing-arkansas.html

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just got my state of Oklahoma last night with the rest of the stuff I was missing on sale. It's eery recognizing how accurate and detailed a single square block facsimile of my home town is. That said, I know we aren't an LAX or DFW but man I feel slightly looked over.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Natsuumi posted:

I wasn't expecting Arkansas after Nebraska. Kinda figured they keep going up into the Dakotas.

https://blog.scssoft.com/2023/09/introducing-arkansas.html

So far they haven't ever released consecutive DLC packages that pushed the map in the same direction; in ATS it's been split up between more northern and southern parts of the map (relatively speaking, anyways). It makes sense that they don't want to release a new DLC that only connects to the map for people who already bought the last one. On top of that, I think they would probably want to push into the more populous areas of the country sooner than later; a DLC package of one or more southern states is going to sell better (and get more fan hype) than a DLC for just one of the Dakotas.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I could easily see them going into Missouri next. It fits in nicely next to Oklahoma and Kansas, and tell me it wouldn't be cool to drive from the Arch clear to the Pacific. After Arkansas, I mean.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

gtrmp posted:

So far they haven't ever released consecutive DLC packages that pushed the map in the same direction; in ATS it's been split up between more northern and southern parts of the map (relatively speaking, anyways). It makes sense that they don't want to release a new DLC that only connects to the map for people who already bought the last one. On top of that, I think they would probably want to push into the more populous areas of the country sooner than later; a DLC package of one or more southern states is going to sell better (and get more fan hype) than a DLC for just one of the Dakotas.

I recall at some point reading that they have two teams, one working on more northern states and the other more southern. So I'd expect roughly alternating north and south going forward depending on state size.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I really thought they'd start doing multiple states once they got further east and the states aren't so so individually huge anymore. I was definitely expecting a Dakotas DLC, but with Arkansas being a single release I guess it might just be individual states the whole way across the country.

Wonder if they're going to do any Canadian provinces.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fired up ATS this weekend out of the blue and had such a great time.

I had about 45 hours with the game already but it's been a while since I've touched it. Picked up 3 DLC's this weekend but I'm still behind with their release schedule - will catch up at some point I guess. They seem to be moving east at quite a click now although again maybe it just feels like that because I'm behind their release cadence.

One thing I didn't anticipate with this game was to be such a great Steam Deck game? One of my favourite things about ATS is the RPG-ish side of it. Absolutely love seeing the business expand, the truck and driver management, seeing your other drivers bringing in the cash etc. It's really fun to tinker with a lot of that stuff while knocking about a few quicker jobs on the Deck.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1707589545531768929?t=acrsEnI_12Yhy0vdOfVD2g&s=19

Sick

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't ever play pool with that driver for money.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:staredog: Holy crap, that's impressive.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Like a glove.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I see that spot and press auto park, I don't need the xp that bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

I see that spot and press auto park, I don't need the xp that bad.

My pride as a video game trucker demands I park everything myself.

Unless I'm moving a double trailer.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I can't back up for anything, and every time I try or have to, I wind up getting way off the mark. But that +15 XP on a job that is worth thousands of experience is always calling. So it's easy park for me most of the time.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've gotten better at backing up since I started but that clip is very impressive and very much out of my reach/desire to try.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Shows what's possible if you play around with using the trailer brake.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Not a truck driver, but I think I heard someone say you’re not supposed to have the trailer pivoting without the wheel moving forward or backward, as you’re putting a lot of friction on a single point on the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

But this is a videogames sooo