Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
You can drive however you want as long as you're not the one paying for the tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

I see that spot and press auto park, I don't need the xp that bad.

He doesn't do it because he needs to. He does it because he can.

Also, flexing on plebs.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Alaskan Truck Sim is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/849100/Alaskan_Road_Truckers/

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

But is it good?

edit: ETS2 West Balkans releases tomorrow, with the usual WoT event to go with it.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 18, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Natsuumi posted:

But is it good?

The playtest for it was interesting but also pretty buggy and controlled really sluggishly. But the devs were actively responding to feedback about it. Probably worth waiting a bit to see what the Steam reviews say about the release version.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Natsuumi posted:

ETS2 West Balkans releases tomorrow, with the usual WoT event to go with it.

Two events actually, one for the new Balkans DLC and one for the old one (Road to the Black Sea).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A little bit rusty after a couple of years away from ETS. Which buttons are nice to bind to my wheel, which are fine to have on the keyboard and which are fine to drop if I'm not looking for perfect simulation? Related to that, I hit reset to default on truck settings before checking what they were before my break. How should I tune them if I want a realistic experience that doesn't veer into annoying (I remember, for example, that the detour setting just kinda sucks, even if you'd theoretically run into detours while trucking in the real world)?

Not asking anyone to go through every setting!! Just reckoned I'd post them for reference.

Edit: ok my own posts from two years ago are just five pages back, this thread doesn't move fast. Still, leaving it up in case someone has more input.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 23, 2023

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Black Griffon posted:

A little bit rusty after a couple of years away from ETS. Which buttons are nice to bind to my wheel, which are fine to have on the keyboard and which are fine to drop if I'm not looking for perfect simulation? Related to that, I hit reset to default on truck settings before checking what they were before my break. How should I tune them if I want a realistic experience that doesn't veer into annoying (I remember, for example, that the detour setting just kinda sucks, even if you'd theoretically run into detours while trucking in the real world)?

Not asking anyone to go through every setting!! Just reckoned I'd post them for reference.

Edit: ok my own posts from two years ago are just five pages back, this thread doesn't move fast. Still, leaving it up in case someone has more input.

If you got a force feedback wheel you should try to put driveshaft torque at about 50%, makes for a really cool experience. I would personally also lower the truck and trailer stability to around 50% and lessen the suspension stiffness.
I personally disable the detours completely, they suck.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

IMO essential to be on the wheel/controller to keep it pretty immersive, in rough order of priority:
- indicators
- wipers (unless you're ok with just tabbing the auto mode on)
- high beam toggle
- indicators
- engage CruiseControl, optionally and quite nice the CC+ and CC- speed controls
- light mode cycle
- horn
- start/stop
- engine braking and/or retarder. Can be entirely optional with judicial use of CC settings or turning off air-brake sim

e: people turn detours off because the implementation isn't good. Some roads really don't have viable alternatives (OK just do a full lap of the entire city and region and come on the other ramp) because of map simplification. They can also be weird in that you'll join a road after the warning and just .. turn up at the problem with few options.
I still leave them on and quickload anything bullshit but YMMV.
I tend to buff the rain frequency a little because it's pretty, especially with a mod for it.

New since you last played (I think) are various settings for autobrake and auto keep-distance.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 23, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Excellent, thanks to you both!

On the subject of Promods: I've been running regular europromods so far and I'm curious about The Great Steppe and The Middle East. How well do they integrate with the rest of the map and game? I saw a post on the promods site that said there's no road connections between TGS and Europe, for example, and I feel like that would sort of take away from the feeling of just driving where the road takes you.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The Middle East segment connects via ferry to Europe in various cities. Never got The Great Steppe to work.

Frankly with the latest DLC adding the rest of the Balkans I'm probably just not going to bother running Promods any more as the tiny towns it adds can be buggy and there's not that much big real estate left that isn't covered by the base game (off the top of my head, Ireland, the aforementioned Middle East pack with Israel, a bit of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan, and some far northern bits of Scandinavia). Plus it's a pain in the arse going through their paywall every time ETS patches.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Promods adds more Norway so it's pretty much mandatory imo.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I never got my head around how to download them. I'm guessing paying for them is mandatory? Granted, with the release of the new DLC, I can't use them anymore now anyway, lol.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lum_ posted:

The Middle East segment connects via ferry to Europe in various cities. Never got The Great Steppe to work.

Frankly with the latest DLC adding the rest of the Balkans I'm probably just not going to bother running Promods any more as the tiny towns it adds can be buggy and there's not that much big real estate left that isn't covered by the base game (off the top of my head, Ireland, the aforementioned Middle East pack with Israel, a bit of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan, and some far northern bits of Scandinavia). Plus it's a pain in the arse going through their paywall every time ETS patches.
The "we added extra area" part of the mod is superseded by now for sure, but "we made the 2012 original areas actually look not-poo poo" part of the mod is very much still active all over the original map area.
You really do forget how they used the same 3 intersection designs - none of which are true to life - to cover 90% of the map until you play without it one time and see.

I tend to use steam's beta version feature to freeze ETS to a specific version after a major update, and ignore the smaller updates until I can be bothered to babysit the downloads. This also stops new DLC from turning it off.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It isn’t, it’s just multiple large files and you’re throttled from grabbing mire than I think two at a time. They’re also hosted on an ad-ridden malware infested thing where you can pay to download faster. It’s like Minecraft modding a few years ago.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's one dollar to not have to think about the download, but if you're doing something else you can just queue the downloads in the background for free.

Also use adblock.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I might try again once I get West Balkans, though I don't know when that might be. I have to admit that the main appeal is the revamped UK, since the original version isn't very good even in comparison to the rest of the base map.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

gtrmp posted:

Two events actually, one for the new Balkans DLC and one for the old one (Road to the Black Sea).

Three events now: there's a Halloween event (13 deliveries of Halloween treats in either game) happening on top of the two events in the Balkans.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Get it just right and you can get one job to count for all 3 events.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stupid question probably, but is there a way to adjust the cruise control speed with an xbox controller? I know I can turn CC on by pressing X, but I can't seem to bind the increase/decrease speed to a button, at least not with the in-game settings, I have to use the keyboard for it.

Is there something simple I'm missing or can you just not do that with a gamepad

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I didn't have any problems binding the speed to my controller. What's the issue, exactly? The binding screen doesn't recognize the button press? The button doesn't seem to actually do anything in-game?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

I didn't have any problems binding the speed to my controller. What's the issue, exactly? The binding screen doesn't recognize the button press? The button doesn't seem to actually do anything in-game?

The former yeah. Maybe I just need to try different buttons, I was trying to bind it to left/right bumper but it didn’t react to it.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Stupid question probably, but is there a way to adjust the cruise control speed with an xbox controller? I know I can turn CC on by pressing X, but I can't seem to bind the increase/decrease speed to a button, at least not with the in-game settings, I have to use the keyboard for it.

Is there something simple I'm missing or can you just not do that with a gamepad

You can rebind them to whatever you want in the settings. I have mine bound to d-pad up/down. It's Cruise Control Speed Increase/Decrease in keybind options.

edit:

Ainsley McTree posted:

The former yeah. Maybe I just need to try different buttons, I was trying to bind it to left/right bumper but it didn’t react to it.

Ok that I don't know why it wouldn't be working.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 23, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Natsuumi posted:

You can rebind them to whatever you want in the settings. I have mine bound to d-pad up/down. It's Cruise Control Speed Increase/Decrease in keybind options.

edit:

Ok that I don't know why it wouldn't be working.

alright well good to know that's supposed to work at least. i'll tinker, maybe i need to unbind them from turn signals first or something. thanks folks

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

alright well good to know that's supposed to work at least. i'll tinker, maybe i need to unbind them from turn signals first or something. thanks folks

I have mine bound to up and down on the dpad.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Really liking the new weather effects/designs in ATS! They might be in ETS2 too but I've not played it in a hot minute.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Came back to the game after getting a Steam Deck. A great pairing.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Kansas DLC releasing tomorrow alongside this just announced today https://store.steampowered.com/app/2638630/American_Truck_Simulator__Farm_Machinery/.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
DLC file contents: corn.gif, windmill.gif, I-70.svg

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Kansas expansion is really well made but man, Kansas is boring.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The only people on earth who are excited about driving through Kansas are ATS players.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I want them to use all those ETS/ATS assets to create a roguelike trucking experience where the route from A to B goes through a number of pocket dimensions that pull from every avaliable location, with radically different times of day, weather and traffic patterns. You're driving through Austria and then boom, you're in Kansas in the middle of a snowstorm, blam, you're in Br*tain and have to veer through traffic to drive on the right side of the road, blam, you're in cyrodiil

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHngucYRJu0

The Swedish Transport Authority now permits 34.5 meters long vehicle trains on most of the highway network, just like in Finland. Patch when, SCS?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Has anyone else's ATS seemed noticeably choppier since the latest patch? I don't have any mods or the latest DLC and I only have a budget laptop, but it was generally quite smooth before. I'm not sure what my graphics settings was before but it seems to even have a bit of an issue on medium.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Has anyone else's ATS seemed noticeably choppier since the latest patch? I don't have any mods or the latest DLC and I only have a budget laptop, but it was generally quite smooth before. I'm not sure what my graphics settings was before but it seems to even have a bit of an issue on medium.

I noticed this happening recently even before this patch yeah. I don’t think it was happening before, not sure what’s up.

It’s just minor enough that it doesn’t quite take me out of the game, but it is noticeable.

I have a 3070 and ryzen 5something, should be more than enough to play smoothly on High I’d think

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I noticed this happening recently even before this patch yeah. I don’t think it was happening before, not sure what’s up.

It’s just minor enough that it doesn’t quite take me out of the game, but it is noticeable.

I have a 3070 and ryzen 5something, should be more than enough to play smoothly on High I’d think

I gave it about half an hour and it seemed to work a bit better again, even on high graphics, which I think is my usual settings. I'm thinking it was probably my computer doing something dumb in the background but I'll keep an eye on it. Interesting to hear that it's not just me though!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have no issues at all running at 4k on ultra with 200% scaling.
Verify the files on Steam, this game has a tendency to get corrupt files during large patches.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHngucYRJu0

The Swedish Transport Authority now permits 34.5 meters long vehicle trains on most of the highway network, just like in Finland. Patch when, SCS?
Don't hold your hopes up, they don't even know what the truck speed limit is here.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
There's a limit on speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AG3 posted:

There's a limit on speed?

Drug tests are not implemented yet, so no.