Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Snaxx posted:

Didn't one of the old 18 Wheels of Steel have cruisers that pulled you over?

Yeah, but as far as I can tell it's not being carried over.

Watched some guy playing an early copy on Twitch, and it just seems like cops are the new speed cameras. The streamer happened to be speeding a little next to a cop and all the cop car did was flash his lights and give him an automated ticket. The cop turned his lights back off and continued on like normal traffic.

I was kind of hoping for it to be like the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The new speeding mechanic seems infuriating. Cops have a magic bubble around them that instantly tickets you if you are speeding. The speed limits that instantly drop down 30 MPH are realistic, I suppose, but they make this very painful. It seems like speeding at all will be impossible in the early game.

Also watch out for railroad crossings!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

32k people watching this ATS stream right now - http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

ManicJason posted:

The new speeding mechanic seems infuriating. Cops have a magic bubble around them that instantly tickets you if you are speeding. The speed limits that instantly drop down 30 MPH are realistic, I suppose, but they make this very painful. It seems like speeding at all will be impossible in the early game.

Also watch out for railroad crossings!

Lol he's complaining about it breaking his engine but if there hadn't been an invisible wall, the train would have nailed his trailer.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Khablam posted:

32k people watching this ATS stream right now - http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

In the best possible world, multiply by $20 for $640,000. Still not a LOT of money (for serious, $20 is criminally underpriced) but hopefully enough to get licensing attention.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
He's just discovering the large-scale emptiness of the Southwest. :allears:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

for serious, $20 is criminally underpriced

Woah. It's pretty much spot on. Considering the DLC that is going to be required eventually to make this into something I will consider a serious game, I would not want to be spending over $20 for the base portion.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

santanotreal posted:

Lol he's complaining about it breaking his engine but if there hadn't been an invisible wall, the train would have nailed his trailer.

My truck is far more important than some nameless customer's cargo. Any cargo liberally spread across the desert by train is an acceptable loss. :colbert:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

santanotreal posted:

To be fair those things are supposed to start coming down a hell of a lot earlier than the actual train arrives so he would have had a lot more stopping time if it had been a tad more realistic in my experience.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
OTOH the lights were blinking red, he just wasn't paying attention and probably had too much speed for a crossing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Magical force field engaged!

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Still getting to grips with how red lights work. I'm driving up to an intersection, lights turn red but traffic is clear so I go through and take a right turn which I thought was legal. Cop behind me gives a burst of his siren and flashes his lights and I've got a ticket of iirc $1000. I thought turning right on a red was OK in America?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Recently turning left on red has been popular.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Obsidius posted:

Still getting to grips with how red lights work. I'm driving up to an intersection, lights turn red but traffic is clear so I go through and take a right turn which I thought was legal. Cop behind me gives a burst of his siren and flashes his lights and I've got a ticket of iirc $1000. I thought turning right on a red was OK in America?

It varies by state on whether it's allowed at all to start. Secondly, you have to come to a stop first, yield to any peds, and then proceed through the intersection. But if there's a sign that says "no right on red" or "right on green arrow only", you can't turn right on red.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Funso Banjo posted:

Woah. It's pretty much spot on. Considering the DLC that is going to be required eventually to make this into something I will consider a serious game, I would not want to be spending over $20 for the base portion.
I though the intention was that they'll extend the map in the base game quite a bit before they do any major DLC, since the coverage in area is still quite a bit below the base ETS, although it looks like they've put a fair bit more detail into it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Obsidius posted:

I thought turning right on a red was OK in America?

Harmburger already partially answered this, but I'll add: right on red is legal nearly everywhere in the US, as long as there's no sign prohibiting it. New York City is one of the very few exceptions. (Wikipedia doesn't list the rest, but does mention that it's legal in every state and in DC, so presumably the other exceptions are also cities.) That said, yes, you treat it as a stop sign: come to a stop, check traffic and pedestrians, and go only if it's clear.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Thanks folks, don't recall if there were any signs and I didn't come to a stop at the junction so that was probably it. I did hesitate before doing it because it just seems totally wrong going through a red light. It sucked getting fined within the first few minutes and then I managed to get myself stuck trying to park the trailer in an awkward spot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I though the intention was that they'll extend the map in the base game quite a bit before they do any major DLC, since the coverage in area is still quite a bit below the base ETS, although it looks like they've put a fair bit more detail into it.

They've only committed to Arizona being free, and their blog post on the subject said "most further map expansion DLCs, if not all, will be paid". I doubt they're going to be releasing them state by state though, because a store page with 47 items of map DLC would look really bad. Ultimately it's going to come down to sales, if the base game sells well they might release a free state occasionally. I'm assuming the plan would be to move from the west to east coast since that's the trip most everyone wants to make, then fill out the north and south.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

They are including California and Nevada at launch. Arizona will be released as a free DLC. I'm fairly positive the rest is paid DLC packs.

The $20 price point is great. They could have easily did a slow-paced drop from $40/$60 like most games do these days, gradually rolling DLC into the latest gold edition and milking the fans on the way. It seems we will get to buy the full game piecemeal as they develop it, with no early adopter fees.

Also kudos for no pre-order bullshit for once. You can't even give them the money if you wanted to!

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

I have just found out that my exact city is in the game! I am super excited.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Snaxx posted:

They are including California and Nevada at launch. Arizona will be released as a free DLC. I'm fairly positive the rest is paid DLC packs.

The $20 price point is great. They could have easily did a slow-paced drop from $40/$60 like most games do these days, gradually rolling DLC into the latest gold edition and milking the fans on the way. It seems we will get to buy the full game piecemeal as they develop it, with no early adopter fees.

Also kudos for no pre-order bullshit for once. You can't even give them the money if you wanted to!

Plus the new trucks will all be free updates once they get the licenses sorted out.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Realistically, it's never going to get expanded enough to get to Maine/New England, is it?

:smith:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Pretty sure they said that New Mexico and Texas together will be the first paid DLC. Arizona is coming for free "soon."

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fintilgin posted:

Realistically, it's never going to get expanded enough to get to Maine/New England, is it?

:smith:
if SCS can't make it happen, there's always player mods.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Bentai posted:

if SCS can't make it happen, there's always player mods.

If they don't make the tunnels and bridges going into and out of NYC completely inaccessible for drat near every hour of the day, so help me god I'm going to threadshit the hell out of some WIP Player Mod threads.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can I pay 30 to get it now?
No.okay guess I buy a new psu and gtx 950 then.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

ManicJason posted:

Pretty sure they said that New Mexico and Texas together will be the first paid DLC. Arizona is coming for free "soon."
That is disappointing. I was hoping for areas like New England, the Pacific Northwest, and the rest of the South. It looks like the release and first DLC will all be areas that are very desert heavy. I guess it makes sense that they are expanding in a way that will make the whole map contiguous with previously released parts though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So is there an in game radio station stream list yet? I am really hoping that the main station that I listen to here in Philly gets added, 93.3 WMMR, since apparently it has a lot of history in the rock and roll world, but also just because I want to hear people calling in about ATS.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I just wonder how they'll do it if you buy, say New England and don't have intervening areas. I suppose they'll either do it so you have to own a complete connection, if that's possible for Steam (so you have to own, say, either a hypothetical Pacific Northwest OR hypothetical Rockies to reach the Dakotas or something), or just make it so you can start in an area and only drive in that area. Or maybe have teleportation points so that you just drive to the edge of the map and it says 'it will take THIS LONG to reach the closest point you have access to'.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

jadebullet posted:

So is there an in game radio station stream list yet? I am really hoping that the main station that I listen to here in Philly gets added, 93.3 WMMR, since apparently it has a lot of history in the rock and roll world, but also just because I want to hear people calling in about ATS.

the radio list is editable, if that station has an internet stream you can just add it to the file. at least for ets2 but I imagine it'll be exactly the same for ats

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I hope when/if they get to my city they accurately emulate all the potholes. I hope they do that in general :getin:

I've been replaying ETS2 and man is it so much fun. I just load up a youtube playlist and cruise. I downloaded a trailer pack that's pretty great though sometimes I wonder why I'm delivering tanks :tinfoil:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Megadyptes posted:

the radio list is editable, if that station has an internet stream you can just add it to the file. at least for ets2 but I imagine it'll be exactly the same for ats

Yeah, I know. I was more hoping that it would be default so that people would call in while playing the game like they do with the default ETS2 stations.

Also, if and when we get to Pennsylvania, I really hope that I-81 is the horrible hellscape it is in real life, where there has been crippling construction for over 10 years on every bridge. (and there are a lot of bridges.)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm excited for American Truck Simulator, but a bit worried it just won't be the same without hearing a bunch of weird European radio stations. I liked trying to switch to a station in whatever language was spoken in the country I was driving through, which was cool.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm excited for American Truck Simulator, but a bit worried it just won't be the same without hearing a bunch of weird European radio stations. I liked trying to switch to a station in whatever language was spoken in the country I was driving through, which was cool.

They all played American pop anyway.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

njsykora posted:

I'm assuming the plan would be to move from the west to east coast since that's the trip most everyone wants to make, then fill out the north and south.

God, I hope not. I live in Western Washington, and I'm hoping they get to that state sooner rather than later.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They all played American pop anyway.

Not all of them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The advantage of living in a city that house Route 66 go through it is that if they decide to do both coasts earlier than doing states contiguously is that I may get featured anyway!

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

God, I hope not. I live in Western Washington, and I'm hoping they get to that state sooner rather than later.

On that one stream this weekend the SCS CEO said that they plan to do Oregon and Washington after New Mexico and Texas.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I haven't followed the ATS development. Will there be a Shipping Wars game mode/mod where, the more you break stuff, the higher your (TV) rating? :haw:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tippis posted:

I haven't followed the ATS development. Will there be a Shipping Wars game mode/mod where, the more you break stuff, the higher your (TV) rating? :haw:

Also super tense bidding wars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gasoline posted:

On that one stream this weekend the SCS CEO said that they plan to do Oregon and Washington after New Mexico and Texas.
Driving to Oregon sounds like a terrible idea. All that dysentery and lack of bridges.