Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Shelter's Relocate will also trigger overwatch.

Having not used Shelter, can she just reposition somebody anywhere on the map to somewhere else? If so that sounds like a real fun combo with Zephyr's bladestorm ability and Torque's acid spitting ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Skippy McPants posted:

Intel/Cash if you're not playing Ironman. Wanna snowball quickly as possible to get ahead of the difficulty curve, and you can catch up on training later once you've unlocked the second training slot.

Edit: about the voice acting, the game is 10(20) bucks! It's amazing it has full VO at all.

Yeah the voice acting seems fine. It sounds like they just need to overlay some voice filters on top of the audio.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hunt11 posted:

Having not used Shelter, can she just reposition somebody anywhere on the map to somewhere else? If so that sounds like a real fun combo with Zephyr's bladestorm ability and Torque's acid spitting ability.

Nah, he just switches places with another unit (ally or enemy).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hunt11 posted:

No, he can swap places with anyone else though.

And he can eventually make a ghost that can relocate itself with any other unit. His whole kit is the Templar stuff that was fun but no one really used in WOTC.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Well, I completed the story and had a blast doing so. By the end, Blueblood was just destroying entire rooms mostly by himself while Claymore chucked around Beserk bombs, Torque locked down high priority targets and Patchwork chained disorientated/stunned groups of units. I did it on normal mode so I didn't have too much difficulty with the game, but I think it just wants me to try the game on Hard and eventually Impossible. I never got a chance to use Shelter so he seems like a pick for my next party.

Overall, I had a lot of fun :)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm still at 7 squad members as of finishing the third faction.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Looking at the achievements it looks like most people are sticking pretty hard to an A team which probably makes the game easier.

unfortunately i have brainworms and always try to level everyone to max which got pretty tricky in the mid-game when I was trying to level up base Godmother and Claymore.

Thankfully now that they're all max levelled I can use the team I want :downs:

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Shelter just swaps locations with the targeted unit, at least early on. I haven't leveled him up high enough to see if he can just plop them anywhere later on.

Also, someone asked earlier if it's possible to skip the videos that play when you start up the game. If you go into the files of the game in your Steam folder, go into XComgame->Movies and relocate/delete the file named 2K_Firaxis_Logos.bk2. I got a "not responding" my first time opening the game after that, but it hasn't caused any problems since.

Also this game is insanely good, especially for $10. I love how much they simplified the gameplay while still making it feel distinctly X-Com. The combat is great and moves incredibly quickly, breaches are awesome, and the simplified strategic layer is great. The tone of the game is also great, I think the cheesy over-the-top writing meshes well with the more exaggerated character abilities.

One complaint is that is seems like Intel is way more important than Elerium or cash- you need Intel for pretty much all of the good stuff and the game practically throws the other two at you. I went for an even split between the three of them for field teams, but I think in my next campaign I'm going to go in more heavily on just Intel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm strongly considering restarting even though I'm not through investigation 1 just because I want to play with the people I don't have.

Spudd posted:

Oh no I restarted my game so I could play with dudes not from the tutorial so I have Claymore and the 2nd time the scavenger came she sold me a plasme grenade.

Oh no for people resisting arrest that is. :cop:

I know the idea is you're buying a huge pile of grenades but I like the idea that XCOM's police division is forced to buy a single grenade a week and make do.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 27, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The five year timespan feeling "too short" is, i think some of it is a sort of coconut effect, ie people think horses galloping sounds like coconut shells clapping together and think its unrealistic when its not present, because theyve only been exposed to media. See also literally every single conception about the middle ages being shaped soley by popular conception of it rather than how reality actually played out. the only comparison i have to the cs scenario is post ww2 military occupations, which nominally lasted a surprisingly short time (tho of course there were a litany of caveats to their 'independence') and there was an apparent change in way of life and culture in those areas, tho obviously not as much as the aliens in cs.

But the aliens in cs also lacked much of any culture themselves, a lot of them had been on earth for 25+ years and could have been going native as is, so there might not be really any resistance for the majority of them from just picking up on human culture as is (which already was partially alien as is). Nor were they segregated into separate housing areas as opposed to being outright integrated due to need for labor and expertise and the general disorganized mess everything was left in, and a lore blurb pointing out that xcom itself made the push for re-integration out of fear of the elders showing back up. So the usual factors that would prevent assimilation or drag it out over a longer time span were weakened or not really present, so I'm kind of left going both "i actually dont have any clue what a realistic time span would be in this situation" and "time spans are always bullshit in fiction what else is new". And they've all been spliced extensively with human juice so them being not that psychologically different from humans could be hand waved away too (tho its kind of boring).

But I hypothesize that a lot of it, as I said, isn't based on reality since we do a good job of avoiding our exposure to that, but just that generally in sci-fi/fantasy media the different races/species are very rarely integrated even if they've been living next to each other for five hundred years. And this me wading out into can of worms territory, but I think there might even be like, some kind of western cultural baggage in assuming that its impossible to have equitable integration without decades of one-sided oppression, ghettoization, hierarchical control and domination, and abuse of an underclass. Which is, maybe, kind of hosed up in its own way, like, just assuming that a better outcome is inherently "unrealistic" is maybe sort of a weird apologist/defeatist mindset we all carry and just assume is normal, maybe? Or maybe its just justifiable cynicism? I'm just spit-balling here idk. "Realism" often gets applied to things that are more about social narratives and culturally-bound behaviors and ideas, rather than actually being realistic; kind of like the larger scale picture of how people assume a sufficiently developed AI would develop exactly human emotions and a fear of death, we assume a "realistic" society, we assume, end up behaving like our own despite the underlying conditions being radically different. (e: mind you I think there's a lot to be said about convergent development on these sorts of things but its important to recognize the causes instead of assuming there's a natural resting point where things lie)

the actual explanation is probably "they picked five years because it fit best in their timeline and didn't really give a poo poo about any of the above at all" and im kind of glad either way that we didn't end up with "racism allegory with aliens/robots/elves which fucks it up by forgetting that racism is a 100% arbitrary, modern social construct and not based on real psychological/physiological distinctions" sort of story but thinking about it gave me THOUGHTS. that I have to SHARE. because i LOVE READING MY OWN RAMBLINGS.

Not to have too short of a response, but the setting feels like a generation has passed. If only five years have passed, then you'd expect a lot more focus on rebuilding, trauma mitigation, and xenocultural exchange.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaal posted:

Not to have too short of a response, but the setting feels like a generation has passed. If only five years have passed, then you'd expect a lot more focus on rebuilding, trauma mitigation, and xenocultural exchange.

A lot of games have problems with timeframes, like how the later Fallouts are centuries after the nuclear war but people refuse to clean the skeletons out of the bathrooms.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Spudd posted:

So Patchwork's Gremlin is a real go getter of a war crimes machine huh? 100% chance to deal 4 points of damage, uhh yes please.

I think Patchwork is mandatory for the Sacred Coil run. After that I parked her in the workshop.

Zore posted:

Looking at the achievements it looks like most people are sticking pretty hard to an A team which probably makes the game easier.

unfortunately i have brainworms and always try to level everyone to max which got pretty tricky in the mid-game when I was trying to level up base Godmother and Claymore.

Thankfully now that they're all max levelled I can use the team I want :downs:

Yeah, I think at some point (after I beat the game once) I'm going to install the mod that gives XP to people on the bench for that reason.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I think ultimately the reason this game came out of nowhere and for so cheap is because of Corona. It was never gonna be a big budget title but I think they could of sold it at a higher price with some more polish and marketing work. However a reoccurring theme with, well, everything is that the pandemic grinding work to a halth is forcing a lot of places to cut corners and put out whatever content they have before work falls apart even more. My guess is this game was mostly done but if they had more time they could polish out a lot of the oversights, bugs, and general weirdness.

Gears Tactics being about to come out is most likely a major, perhaps the major factor. This would be a lot harder sell after that game's release.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about Zephyr's damage it is in a bit of a weird spot as while it does feel lacking, there are plenty of ways to make her work and I do not know how I would have handled the final mission without her.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hunt11 posted:

He can and he can also delay enemy turns, and he's sick as gently caress with claymore and torque

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Megazver posted:

Gears Tactics being about to come out is most likely a major, perhaps the major factor. This would be a lot harder sell after that game's release.

Speaking of, that's been getting good reviews. Might just pick it up after I beat Chimera.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megazver posted:

It's going to be fun comparing and contrasting these two games

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
hrmmm, ran into another bug in addition to the incoming reinforcements crashing my computer and realised I've been playing a chunk of the game with godmother wearing no armour and no way to put it back on. I've heard it's got something to do with unequiping unique weapons but not sure about the specifics so be careful with that I guess. Godmother will have to stick to desk duty from now on I suppose, she was the character with the least interesting abilities to me anyhow.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Mordja posted:

Speaking of, that's been getting good reviews. Might just pick it up after I beat Chimera.

I think it's on the PC gamepass too. I might as well try it out for a buck. Will probably be more stable, at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like that might be a little pointless. For one, Gears clearly has a bunch of money poured into it vs CS' purposefully budget development. Comparing it and XCOM2 would make more sense, though even then the former sounds more of a linear experience.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to give shelter free action shots?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Lost my first impossible campaign, I got an anarchy mission with escaping enemies. The last map had a praetorian and lots of enemies close to the exit and I could not prevent them from running no matter what since they all could reach the exit instantly. Some mission types are just really poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

I feel like that might be a little pointless. For one, Gears clearly has a bunch of money poured into it vs CS' purposefully budget development. Comparing it and XCOM2 would make more sense, though even then the former sounds more of a linear experience.

I mean I'm looking forward to Gears Tactics but I expect to enjoy CS way more by the end, particularly the setting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

A lot of games have problems with timeframes, like how the later Fallouts are centuries after the nuclear war but people refuse to clean the skeletons out of the bathrooms.

Yeah it's certainly true. Fallout doesn't really have enough consistency to deliver a real sense of time passing, but it broadly feels like two or three generations have passed. Bones are always a special case in fiction, since people expect them to survive a lot longer than they really do.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Either impossible or ironman is a huge source of crashes. In my "vanilla" expert campaign I had 3 crashes total in 57 missions. Now I have a 50% chance to crash in every mission, I think it's the automatic deletion of savegames at the start of a day/turn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Always play Bronzeman or at worst cheat and just never reload. XCOM's great but it's always been kind of unstable and fairly buggy

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Axiom + reflex grip
Blueblood
Godmother + reflex grip
Terminal w/ grenades

4 enhanced shotgun blasts, 3 enhanced pistol shots, grenade or heal, and submachine gun fire.

I am the king of action economy. The progeny weep to see so many bullets flying their way.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lol I started X2 again and the Commander Jane Kelly from xcops is the same Jane Kelly with the huge fuckoff knife??

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kraps posted:

Lol I started X2 again and the Commander Jane Kelly from xcops is the same Jane Kelly with the huge fuckoff knife??

Yes.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I´ll watch goon reactions for it since it goes for goddamn 70 Euro on Steam!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'll take the 20 or so hours i got for £10 over the prolly 20 hours i'd get for £60 any day.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Well I got to the Sacred Coil final fight properly this time, and those last two rooms, holy poo poo. Just absolutely bonkers. Doesn't help that I forgot to take Patchwork for the mission.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
XCOM2 WOTC:

I just got this game from that sweet deal on steam and.....I can't beat the third tutorial mission (in a subway) after 3 tries. How am I supposed to get to that goddamn box in 7 turns???? I feel like if I stop to shoot something I already failed. Are all the timers this tight? Do they want you to have a troop just sprint past all the enemies?

...my finger is hovering dangerously close towards that remove timers mod....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can move and also shoot

Are there little things you can shoot to extend the timer?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm curious what difficulty most of you are playing at. I did a first tutorial run at Normal, then restarted halfway through the first investigation to switch to Expert and pick my squad, and the tactics requirements are very different. The extra health pip or two and extra armor makes almost every enemy take at least one more hit to kill; it's much harder to pick off an enemy every turn and keep the action advantage. The game still feels fair on Expert, at least. I'm not using any cheesy tactics or AI exploits and have cruised through everything except for the final investigation mission (where I had to try twice on the final room).

Also, is this murdering anyone else's PC performance wise? My fans never even turned on in XCOM 1 and 2, but they blast full speed the entire time this is running (it's a desktop and doesn't even have onboard graphics, it's definitely using my GPU)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Well I got to the Sacred Coil final fight properly this time, and those last two rooms, holy poo poo. Just absolutely bonkers. Doesn't help that I forgot to take Patchwork for the mission.

I picked Sacred Coil as my first investigation.

I had Verge and Torque on my team. :shepicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

I picked Sacred Coil as my first investigation.

I had Verge and Torque on my team. :shepicide:

Torque is still good against Coil since she can wrap androids and their boss enemy is actually affected by poison.

Verge is sorta poo poo out of luck though.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

you can move and also shoot

Are there little things you can shoot to extend the timer?

4th fail. I literally can't progress with the game until I do this.

No I can't seem to extend the timer. My guys seem to start the map at a point where if I'm not double moving every turn, I can barely reach to box, let alone hack it. I need to first fight 1 sectoid and a regular troop, which is fast with some careful planning. Then in the actual room with the box I need to fight another sectoid, 2 more troops and a commander, who are now all alerted.

Maybe I just need to send a rookie in there, hack the box and then die gloriously from all the flanking attacks...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have a Specialist who can Gremlin-hack it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aren't those the missions where you have to blow up boxes to extend the timer?