Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, with the perk pack I definitely need SOMETHING to boost difficulty, I'm sailing through this play through, taking out 3 large pods in 2 turns for ex. What's the consensus on Better Advent? Is there anything else good in that vein?

Won't help in the immediate, but the Long War guys are working on an alien pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
Oops

swimgus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 14, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

many johnnys posted:

I love grenadiers and I want to start a new campaign where the goal is to just have all grenadiers and sparks.

I don''t think I could give up my sharpshooter and ranger killstreaks.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, with the perk pack I definitely need SOMETHING to boost difficulty, I'm sailing through this play through, taking out 3 large pods in 2 turns for ex. What's the consensus on Better Advent? Is there anything else good in that vein?

Grimy's attrition mode and one of the better pods mods should do just fine. You might want a larger squad depending on the pod size mod you choose.
A Better Advent is pretty good if you can stomach the few aliens that have on-activation attacks. It's too gamey for my taste, so I just put a whole lot of aliens on the map.

You should also try out the additional mission types mod, they're a lot of fun and help break the monotony of late game.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
Every time I get to the avengers defense mission, the game hangs up after I press the "launch mission" button. It goes to a black screen, displays the mission tooltips in the upper right corner and than flashes the "Alien Activity" bar at the bottom of the screen and autosaves several times a second. This has now, disappointingly, happened on three different campaigns rendering them unplayable at that point. Has anyone else had this problem? The only thread I could find online with someone asking about the same problem didn't suggest any solutions. Am I just extremely unlucky?

Besides that, though, glad I picked this up on the steam sale.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm quite fond of the mod-granted Fury class, which gives you altered psi abilities (and available from the start unlike regular psi) and a cannon. Some of the altered psi abilities use HP to power them, and after lucking out with a purple lootcrate giving me a WAR suit with advanced med protocols or something that results in 1HP regen per turn, my first Fury (with a ~14HP pool) turned into an absolute nightmare of burn-state-inducing soulfire throwing and null lance spam. Then a few missions later I got an orange lootcrate that gave me a unique Archon King armour before I'd even met the Berserker Queen.

edit: In answer to whoever asked about colourising their troops, you're not the only one. I do the same thing. Of special note is using hot pink or purple for psiops and Furies.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 14, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I have some questions about the plot:

So the game's timeline is based on your failure state in X-com 1? How exactly did the Aliens 'win' when the whole idea of X-Com was that you get all these member states to band together to fight the alien threat? Also, it turns out Man was the true Ultimate Being all along and the aliens were just jealous of both our sick psionic powers and ripped abs.

Mr. Chairman survives X-Com 2 right? I feel like he was given a good combination of pistol perks to deal with those Advent barging in on him. I mean cmon, this is the guy that somehow evaded whatever kind of 'rocks fall, everyone dies' scenario that befell the other shadow governments! :tinfoil:

I didn't understand well what exactly the Avatar program was all about; so the aliens basically wanted to occupy earth and distill our DNA goo to develop a cure for them withering away? They also seemed to imply that this is going to inevitably happen to humanity. And what about that mock house in the last stage? How did the Commander fit into all of this?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm disappointed that they didn't develop the whole UFO interception mechanic to make it more interactive. I know some people thought it was a snoozefest probably because there wasn't really much to do; activate abilities while the game auto-calcs the pew pew between your interceptor and the UFO. But it added another dimension of urgency; you couldn't completely neglect your hangar because you needed interceptors to protect against UFOs (and crashed UFOs were easier to assault than landed ones I think). So it was another time and resource sink that needed to be balanced with other elements.

I know in this game it works differently, there is a patrolling UFO that might happen to cross paths with the Avenger. But the actual interception missions are few (I only did one). The Defense Matrix thus seems really pointless because it is only really relevant for one or two missions and beyond that is just wasting income and power.

I would have loved for the Defense Matrix to have actual upgrades, between being able to protect the Avenger against interception/attack and being able to actively chase down UFOs to gain intel, reduce the Avatar project progress, and get goodies. There are a lot of simplistic yet decently interactive ways they could've done it; hell I would have had a blast playing some Galaga knockoff having the Avenger going pew pew against some UFOs while zipping across Asia. And like I said above, it would give you another option to focus your resources on; investing in it early on would make chasing down UFOs decently profitable so there would be multiple directions you could go in the game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

About the fail state of XCOM1 and XCOM2 being "baddies won": that came about because so many people failed the campaign mode. The devs apparently tallied total win states versus total fail states and went from there.

I too hope Mr. Chairman (who sounds so much like Optimus Prime I had to double check that it wasn't the same guy on IMDB) survived the end of XCOM2

About the Avatar Project, unless I'm wrong, and I'm inferring some details here based on the ending rather than explicitly-stated details: that was also partly about copying the Commander's DNA to gain access to his strategic mind through genetic memory and also give them an endless supply of psionically-active Commanders to lead their forces both on Earth and in the war against whatever greater evil the Ethereals alluded to in the end sequence.*

*Disclaimer: I could be utterly talking bollocks here but that's the general gist of what, to me, it felt like they were trying to do/the devs were trying to get across.

edit: ^^^ The UFO doesn't even have to come anywhere near you. The intercept chance is a die roll that either succeeds or fails regardless of where you and the UFO are on the map. I would have liked the Defence Matrix to have allowed "shoot down UFO & capture its remains" missions. I built one in both campaigns I've played and never needed it.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 14, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I have some questions about the plot:

So the game's timeline is based on your failure state in X-com 1? How exactly did the Aliens 'win' when the whole idea of X-Com was that you get all these member states to band together to fight the alien threat? Also, it turns out Man was the true Ultimate Being all along and the aliens were just jealous of both our sick psionic powers and ripped abs.

Mr. Chairman survives X-Com 2 right? I feel like he was given a good combination of pistol perks to deal with those Advent barging in on him. I mean cmon, this is the guy that somehow evaded whatever kind of 'rocks fall, everyone dies' scenario that befell the other shadow governments! :tinfoil:

I didn't understand well what exactly the Avatar program was all about; so the aliens basically wanted to occupy earth and distill our DNA goo to develop a cure for them withering away? They also seemed to imply that this is going to inevitably happen to humanity. And what about that mock house in the last stage? How did the Commander fit into all of this?

The XCOM project fails in XCOM 2 for several reasons: an overwhelming alien force, inability to research and reproduce alien technology fast enough to meet the threat on equal terms, council members bowing out, lack of funding, etc.

We have no way of knowing if the Spokesman is still alive or not. It's heavily implied that he's dead and gave his life to warn XCOM of the accelerating Avatar project.

The Ethereals are dying for some unknown reason (perhaps the results of extreme genetic tampering or psionic usage). The Avatar Project was an attempt to use the human form, along with Ethereal DNA, to create a new master race of beings that combined physical hardiness with powerful psychic abilities for the Ethereals to possess and inhabit. Their message to the Commander wasn't that this would happen to them in the future, but an attempt to stop the assault by telling them that some greater threat lurked and that we needed them for protection. We're led to believe that they're bluffing, but it's more dramatic and fun if they were right.

The human habitat was a stage for conducting experiments on humans, perhaps psychological in nature. Similar to a maze for mice.

The Commander's just been in a vat for twenty years with their brain hooked up to a simulator playing XCOM:EU and EW over and over. Long War was an ADVENT engineer loving with you even more.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

The human habitat was a stage for conducting experiments on humans, perhaps psychological in nature. Similar to a maze for mice.

That makes sense more than my assumption it was similar to a MOUT killhouse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
e: Misread

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's heavily implied that the failure point of the original campaign is the X-com base assault in EW. X-com wasn't able to develop fast enough to survive that particular mission, which explains why the tech is 'reset'. You probably didn't even get beyond laser tech the first go-round.

This is two games in a row that the Ethereals talk about something coming to threaten all of reality, although last time they also alluded to being guided by even more advanced beings. Rather than dying out, last time they talked about being a genetic dead end that wouldn't be able to go further than they already have.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Incidentally, here's the Fury class mod, by Grimy.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682736717

This is especially good if you want psi-capable soldiers early on. Even if you forego the psi abilities they're still effective because of their ability to fire multiple times by building up "strafe action" points, which the left side of the tree uses for things like a free shot (the free starter skill), or three separate shots against three visible enemies (Spray and Pray). Also, Ammo Roulette gives a free, random ammo upgrade each mission, but I'd rather take Betrayal (instant 1 turn mind control that takes effect instantly instead of next turn).

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 14, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm replaying the game with DLC and minimal mods right now, but I really enjoyed my modded run last year with a squad size of 8, even if it was a bit easy, even with the +1 pod size mod. Apparently now squad size can go all the way to 12? Does anyone have a good combination of mods that would balance the got for a 10 or 12 member squad?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Also a friendly reminder to open those strongboxes.
NB: Some of those addons may be from Grimy's.

Free bonus images! Furies wrecking poo poo.

Soooo constipated-looking in this one.

and I kinda like the Snake Dick armour in red and black. Might take the hat off though.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Hey I wonder my ranger is showing as exposed from there. Is the game bugged or maybe it's inadvertently warning me one of those 2 civilians is a faceless?

Oh.

poo poo.

*whiff*

Skeleton suit stacked with +20 defense module or "How My Best Ranger Turned Into A Poison/Explosive Magnet."

swimgus posted:

I think I'll try to honor system ironman next time, with DLCs enabled. I savescummed like a filthy casual on a few missions. I just hate to lose my soldiers, especially after I spend all that time dressing them up.
I expected to have a harder time starting XCOM2 because I'd lack that encyclopedic knowledge of every map, where pods spawn, where patrols go, etc. But I figured veteran, being the default difficulty, would be a cakewalk after so many advanced campaigns in EW including the no squad size upgrade challenge.

All these timed missions force me into lovely situations and I'm re-playing missions like a motherfucker. I could just suppress the last remaining advent officer, move my assault into some half cover and hunker, deal with him next turn. Nope, absolutely not enough time for that. Have to run in with my ninja sword and activate a whole new pod with 1 move remaining.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

Also a friendly reminder to open those strongboxes.

Yeah, I just got a sniper rifle that gave run 'n gun, rapid fire, and shredding. Combine this with Snap Shot and Death From Above and you have an unstoppable juggernaut of death... which would be more notable if it weren't for the fact that half my team is like that because of More Perks.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I like the snake armour with the muton mask. Makes your guy look a bit like Shredder.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

swimgus posted:

1/(number of scientists) as far as I can tell. The first 5 are great. Everyone after 7 isn't worth your time.

5 is also the number required to win the game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Does this thing seriously get a free turn on every half move? Who thought that was a good idea for a mission you get in month one?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Man Whore posted:

Does this thing seriously get a free turn on every half move? Who thought that was a good idea for a mission you get in month one?

Park Bradford next to it.

Laugh as it kills itself on his Bladestorm.

Also flashbangs, freeze grenades, hunter weapons are your friends. Things that don't use an action point (like throwing the axe) don't trigger a ruler reaction.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Man Whore posted:

It's a free reaction every time you take an action. So if you dash, or shoot with both actions remaining, it gets one reaction and not two. It's all kinds of bullshit. If you force-end your turn early it gets a bunch of free actions in a row.

Once they use their abilities, they like to just move or take simple shots. Their damage tends to be low to compensate for how many turns they get. It's still bullshit, so in the future you can just not do the mission.

If you turn The Nest off, they'll show up on their own anyway. If you don't want to fight them, you need the Nest turned on and then just never complete it. Or complete it late (but then the rewards for a kill aren't really worth it).

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

If you've got access to the Advent Blacksite early, you can use it as a sort of training exercise by extracting all XCOM soldiers without picking up the vial, then retrying the mission again and again. However, anyone that comes back wounded will be out of commission for the next training run. Don't let anyone get hit, ever, and you'll quickly build a solid core of troops that are able to deal with these taxing introductory DLC missions.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Again there is a mod that lets you fully adjust ruler turns, down to the percentage chance for every skill.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683977672

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Got the perk pack, love all the p potential ability combinations. However,

Commissar, this is a joke ability right? The situations where it would be useful are very few.

There are so many useful ways they couldn't gone with it- I'd have made it so if you used it on mind controlled or panicked ally, it would clear panic on all other squad members, add bonus will, and prevent the squad from getting shaken at the end of the battle. That way you could basically sacrifice a rookie to prevent a chain-panic situation. Still rather situational, but at least would have benefits involved.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Commissar, this is a joke ability right? The situations where it would be useful are very few.

In a word: Yes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Panfilo posted:

Got the perk pack, love all the p potential ability combinations. However,

There are so many useful ways they couldn't gone with it- I'd have made it so if you used it on mind controlled or panicked ally, it would clear panic on all other squad members, add bonus will, and prevent the squad from getting shaken at the end of the battle. That way you could basically sacrifice a rookie to prevent a chain-panic situation. Still rather situational, but at least would have benefits involved.

They straight out said it was a joke perk. Being able to fire your rifle/shotgun twice in one turn is pretty powerful already.

Also just had the funniest snake-grab yet. Snake on high-ground tongue-grabs one of my soldiers, and my soldier's path through the terrain destroyed the tile beneath the snake. So they both fall, causing the snake to take damage and release the soldier. True the soldier was bleeding out, but I was laughing too hard to care.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Yeah, I just got a sniper rifle that gave run 'n gun, rapid fire, and shredding. Combine this with Snap Shot and Death From Above and you have an unstoppable juggernaut of death... which would be more notable if it weren't for the fact that half my team is like that because of More Perks.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Which mod is more perks? can't seem to find it and i'm curious

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Iron Rose posted:

Which mod is more perks? can't seem to find it and i'm curious

Long War ? Not only adds tons of perks but gives you 3 to pick from each level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of the Long War Perk Pack, how do you get someone to Brigadier? I have a few colonels and visible experience counters, and the colonels no longer have their XP as fractions of the next level; it's just a number, suggesting they're just done. Is there something special you have to do that I'm not seeing?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Panfilo posted:

Long War ? Not only adds tons of perks but gives you 3 to pick from each level.

Oh! The new perk pack. Did not realize it changed up the system that much.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm nearing the end of my Commander run with a bunch of mods including the Long War mods and Grimy's Loot Mod and I feel like this game is a lot closer to the level of character customization I always wished it had. I have Psionics that have 3 AP and can mind meld each other, grenadiers with a full compliment of flashbangs, smoke grenades, scanners and offensive grenades, heavily armored shotgunners that can barely move but are basically wearing bomb defuser suits that enemy shots bounce off of, etc.

The problem is it really just exacerbated problems with the vanilla game's power-curve, it's still hard early on because you don't have these combos built or unlocked but it becomes even easier than ever before as you progress.

Does anyone know of any mods that will significantly ramp up later-game difficulty without affecting the early game too much? I want to play on Legend next and I know the start will be a struggle for me, but unless the enemy has some new tools to compensate for mine it's going to get easy at the halfway point again.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so I quickly burned out on long war for EW, even following Iron Rose's recommendations, because I get really anxious thinking I chose the wrong builds for my soldiers. Can someone who's competent at the game link me to some builds they genuinely believe are good? I know there is a fair amount of flexibility and most perks can be good if the soldier is used right, but the mere thought of missing out on synergies is kinda paralyzing me. I don't need detailed guide on how to use the various soldier types, just a list of perk choices. I tried googling, but I get conflicting advice, and I know from my league of legends days (where I was competent enough to judge things myself) that 90% of guides out there are probably fundamentally flawed.

Edit: I know Prof Booty has a great LP running, with good builds and explanations, but he hasn't posted his builds anywhere, and that's a lot of footage to search through...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dancer posted:

Hey so I quickly burned out on long war for EW, even following Iron Rose's recommendations, because I get really anxious thinking I chose the wrong builds for my soldiers. Can someone who's competent at the game link me to some builds they genuinely believe are good? I know there is a fair amount of flexibility and most perks can be good if the soldier is used right, but the mere thought of missing out on synergies is kinda paralyzing me. I don't need detailed guide on how to use the various soldier types, just a list of perk choices. I tried googling, but I get conflicting advice, and I know from my league of legends days (where I was competent enough to judge things myself) that 90% of guides out there are probably fundamentally flawed.

Edit: I know Prof Booty has a great LP running, with good builds and explanations, but he hasn't posted his builds anywhere, and that's a lot of footage to search through...

You can respec your soldiers at the AWC so you'll never be at the mercy of your builds. Also, the big difference between XCOM 2 LW and XCOM LW right now is that XCOM 2 LW doesn't do anything to increase the difficulty of the game so all these new tools you get just make you stronger. Don't stress about it too much, just dive in :shrug:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
No I mean I want LW builds for EW. Haven't found enough money to acquire XCOM 2 yet.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Have any of you tried the Playable Aliens mod? I really want a Sargent Hissyfit. Does it come with any appropriate voice packs?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, interesting bug with the Second Wave Mod. It treats Shen and Bradford as Rookies for their respective missions and rolls them appropriately. So do I want to bring along a 4 health Shen with 59 aim and 41 hack? No. No I do not. Some ini tweaking seems like the solution, cause Shen is real freaking good in her mission, so if she wasn't terrible, that'd be great thanks.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
When one soldier does all the work and the whole squad knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shen implies that in XCOM 1, XCOM lost because the aliens just rolled in off the gate with Sectopods and other advanced units by the time Vahlen's barely stopped telling your soldiers to exercise restraint when using explosives.