Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Had a really annoying bug. Doing my first play through and I disabled the Alien Hunter's DLC. The hero snake whatever still showed up and killed a squad member. I have the DLC weapons buildable but there's no way to start the initial scans, since I heard they won't show up if you've started the "quest line"-

Any solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

8-Bit Dracula posted:

Had a really annoying bug. Doing my first play through and I disabled the Alien Hunter's DLC. The hero snake whatever still showed up and killed a squad member. I have the DLC weapons buildable but there's no way to start the initial scans, since I heard they won't show up if you've started the "quest line"-

Any solutions?

Not a bug. If the DLC is downloaded disabling it in the intro menu just disables the story mission for the DLC, it still activates the enemies/weapons.

You either need to delete the DLC or start a game with the story mission enabled and never scan it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I'm looking at the Long War Perk Pack classes for the first time (starting new campaign), having not played XCom for a few months, and having never really delved into classes outside either game's defaults.

I just saw the Ranger's "Commisar" perk. Is it just me, or does that seem like a *VERY* last-resort "poo poo be grim, yo" ability? Or is there some hilarious application of that I don't know about? Instantly execute an ally that's been mind-controlled?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's apparently an in-joke that never got removed. There's almost never a time where you want to kill a squaddie rather than the alien MCing him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Also, those mods that straight-up add stuff to recreate character models from other games (like Mass Effect, Overwatch, etc) are... well, it's loving surreal to see Urdnot Wrex running around down there from the perspective the camera sits at.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, I'm looking at the Long War Perk Pack classes for the first time (starting new campaign), having not played XCom for a few months, and having never really delved into classes outside either game's defaults.

I just saw the Ranger's "Commisar" perk. Is it just me, or does that seem like a *VERY* last-resort "poo poo be grim, yo" ability? Or is there some hilarious application of that I don't know about? Instantly execute an ally that's been mind-controlled?
Assuming it applies to friendly MC'd aliens, you could use it to instantly execute a hacked Sectopod or mind controlled Gatekeeper, but I feel like there's better ways to handle that. If there's other enemies around, send them out as bullet sponges. If not, concentrated fire should be easily feasible.
Either way it's an overly specific perk that would require another class to set you up first with a power that's already great by itself.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Have a guy in low cover, is marked by ADVENT Officer that is disoriented and is miraculously missed. Same guy is shot at from a regular trooper that is also disoriented and also misses.

Both shots hit the car he's taking cover behind and he blows up and dies anyway, killing my only medic route Support.

Thanks a whole ton XCOM.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the agony and ecstasy of the only available good cover being something that also explodes: xcom 2 fighting in the gas station edition

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How often are alien rulers supposed to show up? I put off doing the Hive mission for a long time, then finally did, fought the Viper King (who escaped) and I'm maybe 6-8 missions later and there's been no sign of any of the rulers appearing. I'm hoping it's not a mod conflict or something, but I did try to avoid anything that changed the rulers themselves. I'm starting to worry they're not going to show.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i don't think i've ever gone more than three missions without a ruler showing up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I make more contacts? he game told me a while back and I forgot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

the agony and ecstasy of the only available good cover being something that also explodes: xcom 2 fighting in the gas station edition

Well, let's face it, this has been the dilemma of gas stations since the 1990s XCOM.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

How do I make more contacts? he game told me a while back and I forgot.

Resistance Comms. It's an anthill building, unlocked with the research Resistance Communications. Note that you'll very occasionally get Contacts as a scan reward, but not enough to get them reliably. Two fully upgraded, staffed comms will be all you need, barring losing a Resistance Haven mission. I usually build them around a workshop, with a Proving Grounds and Power Relay on the other spokes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

How often are alien rulers supposed to show up? I put off doing the Hive mission for a long time, then finally did, fought the Viper King (who escaped) and I'm maybe 6-8 missions later and there's been no sign of any of the rulers appearing. I'm hoping it's not a mod conflict or something, but I did try to avoid anything that changed the rulers themselves. I'm starting to worry they're not going to show.

Do you have the mod that disables Alien Rulers from certain missions like Avenger Defense? If so, turn it off since it can also break rulers showing up at all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

monster on a stick posted:

Do you have the mod that disables Alien Rulers from certain missions like Avenger Defense? If so, turn it off since it can also break rulers showing up at all.
I almost did, but I avoided it specifically since I saw people in the comments saying that was a possible bug. I do have "Additional Mission Types" on and more than one comment has said that alien rulers weren't showing up in their games until they turned that mod off, so I'm gonna give that a try.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Zore posted:

Not a bug. If the DLC is downloaded disabling it in the intro menu just disables the story mission for the DLC, it still activates the enemies/weapons.

You either need to delete the DLC or start a game with the story mission enabled and never scan it.

All right, thanks

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having tested it out: It was definitely the Additional Mission Types mod causing the problem. The very first mission after deactivating it had an appearance by the Viper King.
It's just as well, the new missions seemed wildly, disproportionately out of scale, length, and difficulty compared to all the other missions. Haven Siege is a fun idea but in practice just turns into a grueling slog through 40-50 enemies with a few totally green rookies as "reinforcement".

Unfortunately now I have to hunt for another problem mod because I just played on a buggy map and I need to figure out which of the 4 or 5 map packs I've got installed is causing the problem. Lighting was totally broken, everything was fullbright pinkish and by the time I realized how badly something in it was leaking memory my computer had slowed down significantly. It took a full minute just to close XCOM2 at that point.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The broken lighting is a mod issue. I don't remember specifically what caused it when I had it, but are you using anything that changes resolution/aspect ratio stuff around?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No, not using any graphical mods to speak of. Also haven't had this problem until now, so I'm wondering if it was a coincidence or because I removed the Additional Mission Types mod and now the mod list is freaking out.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Lunethex posted:

The broken lighting is a mod issue. I don't remember specifically what caused it when I had it, but are you using anything that changes resolution/aspect ratio stuff around?

It happens when screenlisteners hold onto references from old UI I believe, because then garbage collection can't remove them. Would be a mod issue.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Apparently it was just a passing bug and not a map (or maybe even a mod) problem. Simply restarting and reloading fixed it, otherwise known as "that thing I should have tried before even saying there was a problem". All's well that ends well.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Having tested it out: It was definitely the Additional Mission Types mod causing the problem. The very first mission after deactivating it had an appearance by the Viper King.
Are you sure? I had the Berserker Queen and Archon King spawn fine with it enabled, and the Viper King just seemed to be a case of bad luck (since I use vanilla mission schedules for the Guerilla Ops and Council mission types, it's only Haven Siege I set up with a custom schedule that does intentionally exclude ruler aliens.)

quote:

It's just as well, the new missions seemed wildly, disproportionately out of scale, length, and difficulty compared to all the other missions. Haven Siege is a fun idea but in practice just turns into a grueling slog through 40-50 enemies with a few totally green rookies as "reinforcement".

I'm curious is this all missions or just haven siege you have an major issue with? (though admittedly at this point haven siege's probably a big mess resulting out of trying to please every single complaint I get about it being too easy or being too hard without any chance to customize it in an .ini)

Because after reviewing how the game picks missions, I realized I'm a loving moron and I can fix the issue with Haven Siege's scheduling far more easily than I thought. :v: Basically I thought the game validated missions *after* it picked a type and would switch to other mission types like Guerilla Ops or Council Missions if a mission type was validated unsuitable. As it turns out it validates before it goes ahead with a mission schedule, so I should be able to have it default to retaliation if it's too early in the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Every mission type I got was either a vanilla mission (or indistinguishable from it) or some variation of a single archetype, in which a bunch of aliens start spawning in and god help you if you're not right on top of the pod when it shows up or you'll start falling behind, then the turns-remaining timer eventually runs down and you get about 4 pods spawned in 2 turns, and then you evac or clean them up. Pouring reinforcements on my head is not a particularly enjoyable mission type to me, but to each their own.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Could someone clarify for me: If a soldier doesn't get his "hidden" AWC perk by the time they get Colonel (because they were too high rank when AWC got built), does retraining them in AWC allow for getting the hidden perk or not? The internet seems to be confused on the matter.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Malek Deneith posted:

Could someone clarify for me: If a soldier doesn't get his "hidden" AWC perk by the time they get Colonel (because they were too high rank when AWC got built), does retraining them in AWC allow for getting the hidden perk or not? The internet seems to be confused on the matter.

In vanilla, it does not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm totally confused as to what gives an enemy a full turn after being revealed or not. Sometimes the just get to scurry and take cover but sometimes they get full turns and can shoot. What am I missing here?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm totally confused as to what gives an enemy a full turn after being revealed or not. Sometimes the just get to scurry and take cover but sometimes they get full turns and can shoot. What am I missing here?

Are you encountering them with the last move of your turn? Don't do that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The scatter will happen either way. But if you reveal them on your turn then they will to act after your turn is over. If the enemies walk into your line of sight on their turn then they don't get to act and will just scatter.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hey, never played XCOM before but I started Enemy Within the other day and it's really good.

I was wondering, are there laser upgrades for the weapons besides the assault rifle/pistol? I don't see an option for them in Engineering. Also I haven't really touched gene mods or cybernetics despite building the facilities, how should I go about using them?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

Hey, never played XCOM before but I started Enemy Within the other day and it's really good.

I was wondering, are there laser upgrades for the weapons besides the assault rifle/pistol? I don't see an option for them in Engineering. Also I haven't really touched gene mods or cybernetics despite building the facilities, how should I go about using them?

There should be additional research projects to get other laser weapons - Precision gives you the sniper rifle, Heavy Lasers gives you the laser cannon, etc. There's a tech tree diagram here (with spoilers for techs/enemies/etc. you haven't seen yet): http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xcom/images/7/72/Xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart.png/revision/latest?cb=20121026045427

I think most people think MECs are stronger than gene mods. In general aim progression goes down once you chop off someone's limbs, but Heavies don't get much aim progression so they are safe to MEC at low levels. Everyone else you can wait. JadeStar has his Commander's Guide LP that goes on about the different skills and the pros/cons on the skills: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607006&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1. That said gene mods are still pretty darn good if you have a sniper or something that you don't want to chop up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it seems like such a huge oversight that they made all of these great customization options in this one to make your characters look really badass and distinct, just to flush them down the toilet the second you get the dumbass looking predator armor. Like, just give me the buff and let me make my guys look how I want them to, stupid game.

Zoran posted:

Are you encountering them with the last move of your turn? Don't do that.

it mostly seems to be when I shoot out of ghost mode. Sometimes they get a turn and sometimes they don't? Maybe I just havent been paying enough attention to when they trigger.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah if you're ending your turn by shooting out of concealment then the enemies will scatter right before you turn is officially over and then they will get their whole turn because they were already activated once the Alien Activity phase comes out.

Assuming you don't have a time limit it's better to wait the extra turn and shoot at the start of your next turn so that all your gusy will be able to react to what the enemies do after you fire.

You can get lucky and get them huge Overwatch traps that way but it's kind of risky to do if you don't end up killing everybody.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I always try to set up Overwatch traps so that must be why they are triggering (put everyone in OW and have the last guy fire a shot). Agreed it's often great but can really gently caress you over if you miss a powerful enemy or god forbid a couple of them. I probably wasn't noicing because 3/4 of time an overwatch trap will kill their whole squad.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

After the first two or three missions, you will quickly have tools for alpha striking a pod that are far more reliable than concealed overwatch traps. They won't regain much usefulness until you reach late-game skills like Kill Zone and Guardian.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I must have missed them cause I'm probably like 20+ missions in and I still use them all the time :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Grenadiers.

More specifically, take out someone with your Sharpshooter or Ranger, then use a grenadier's grenade to destroy the cover of whatever's left over. Then clean up.

Phantom Rangers do allow you to set up overwatch just outside the visual range of inactive pods, so that you can wait for them to walk into your guns on their turn. This takes some finesse to do quickly on timed missions, however.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 8, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah that's generally what I do. Grenade/shred as many units as a i can or occasionally take out one unit with a sniper if I really want them gone, then cross my fingers that overwatch hits during the scramble.

Speaking of grenades, I upgraded the launchers but they seem to do the same damage?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Upgrading the launcher just lets you shoot farther. You need to use the Experimental Grenades Proving Ground project to get different grenades that do more damage/have more effects.

Also i find it weird that they went through the trouble of making weapons and armor a one and done purchase it seems strange that the "Experimental X" and Armor projects give you just one thing at a time at random instead of just unlocking them to use or to buy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Upgrading the launcher just lets you shoot farther. You need to use the Experimental Grenades Proving Ground project to get different grenades that do more damage/have more effects.

Also i find it weird that they went through the trouble of making weapons and armor a one and done purchase it seems strange that the "Experimental X" and Armor projects give you just one thing at a time at random instead of just unlocking them to use or to buy.

It's noticing minor things like this and the subsequent trip to the workshop that led to me having so many mods. On the plus side my pugilist class SPARK Optimus Prime blows up terrain behind the things he knuckledusts so it's worked out nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There's a mod to solve that problem (it lets you build any grenade/ammo/whatever at a slightly higher cost.) It's dumb that some of the more powerful tools of the game are hidden behind RNG checks to even get and you have to waste precious elerium cores to keep cranking out, I dunno, flamethrowers or something.