Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My body is ready to recieve all the xeno scum shooting one can humanly possible. :awesome:

One thing I really want is to someone mod the weapon progression so I can keep playing with basic weapons while having upgrade bonuses. Like, all those guns in classic or x-com 2 look like loving toy guns compared to how BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! basic guns are (basically reskin / re-sound every weapon to starter equivalents and let me be happy).

I wonder if anyone modded that to EU? Google isn't helping me, neither the Nexus. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I have a question before I impulse buy this (barely resisted pre-ordering it):

Do customization options override your upgrades? I mean, if I have a soldier with MEGATRONIUM ARMOR MARK 84 WITH PSIONICEMPATHFIBERWEAVE , can I still dress him or her as a hobo and keep the bonuses? I really want to keep that ragged bunch looks throughout the game because of MY IMMERSION :byodood:. That would be a huge plus for me.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Unfortunately, right now the armor is limited to whatever class of armor you have, but it probably won't be long before someone makes a mod to unlock the customizations.

Yeah, I think I'll hold to my money till end of the month and/or someone releases that mod. I was halfway through Ironman EW anyway, which I spoiled the transition to X-Com 2 on a mistake and really took the joy out of it now :smith:.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Coolguye posted:

The objectively correct pathway to success

Gauss pistols were still worth researching because they provide a good default build for your workshops when nothing else is going on. Much like OG, pretty quick you replace council funding with selling large amounts of weaponry bullet-ridden, charred and mangled alien corpses to sketchy individuals, and the gauss pistol is the best return for your effort. But no way should you actually be USING that stuff.

In both og X-Com games, the council payments become like pocket money once you get the ball rolling.

Already mentioned but I wanted to say how they doubled down on difficulty by not just ramping up the regular difficulty but also implementing "underwater" limitations for your starting weapons and gauss technology.

First month seaside terror mission: You barely have a couple of ensigns or maybe a sergeant, none of the Gauss weapons work, none of the explosive weapons (just harpoon weapons) works so you go against Lobsterman (which is almost impervious to harpoon weaponry) using Sonic Cannons while civilians keep panicking and walking into line of fire. Good luck commander!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I think I usually went for laser rifles which doubled as impromptu base defense backup in case meanies decided to drop by early.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Speaking of, there was nothing like defeating early-ish base invasion with random rookies and whatever weaponry you left at the base.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

But it's fine because you researched the sonic pistol as soon as it was available and have one dude with one of those killing all the jerks.

The worst thing in TFTD was the triscene.

Oh yeah I know to beeline to Sonic weapons in tyool 2020. Back when it got released I had like zero meta knowledge and had some hilarious defeats.

The thing is Sonic weapons don't have auto shot so the Laser Rifle Autoshot spraying to victory strat I relied on wasn't there.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

The last spitter dude hiding in one of a hundred closets on a four-level ship. Good news - that was just phase 1, now you have to go fight everything in the cargo hold! Finally getting a squad with sonic pistols out tearing things up and then running out of ammo for them and scrambling around like Russians at Stalingrad picking ammo up off the dead. loving lobstermen. Just insanely long levels and massive deaths.

The cruise ship is a massive meat grinder and possibly a net loss if you get unlucky with the civilian placement/movements. God, checking each cabin to look for hidden Lobsterman was still one of the tensest gaming experiences and honestly what I felt missing from the remakes.

First UFO didn't have those mazelike terror missions so it was slightly easier to go scorched earth with some scouting.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Serephina posted:

Lotta wrong things about TFTD coming outta the woodwork here. Gauss works fine above water. Explosives are available also in the form of the excellent gas cannon.

I never did the 'manufacture gauss for net profit' thing as I didn't know about it, but nowadays it kinda strikes me as a bug more than being merely exploitative; X-com is explicitly meant to care about funding and removing that is much like finding a way to raise dead soldiers.

I checked and yeah Gauss works above water, though I was adamant that they didn't .

I think the default grenade, the torpedo launcher and the gyrojet cannon. I forgot the gas cannon worked overground though so that's also corrected.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Serephina posted:

You see, I didn't include grenades since I thought it was obvious. Grenades and explosive packs works fine above ground too. You're swinging and missing here man! The chain gun, torpedo launcher, and PWT's are the only underwater guns. If anything, above ground missions are easier in that there are no crystallids. I honestly have no goddamn idea how people played the first game if tentaculuts showed up on the first terror mission, RIP those poor bastards.

It's not like I was flexing my X-Com knowledge, just speaking from vauge memories (I have TFTD installed for years but never get around to play it).

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I enjoyed drilling holes into aliens more than any weapon tbh. Open up lobsterman with heavy thermic lances all day erryday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

That is some quality proclick.