Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Playing an XCOM game ironman on release is brave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I find it amusing to contemplate what the people who go "the pod system makes it impossible to flank, you go one tile too far and you get spotted by the enemy and they come kill you" would make of a night battle system where you can go that one tile too far and alert enemies but the game doesn't even let you know until you end the turn.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 12, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nice, I'd love to get my hands on some BIG CRUNCH.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I kinda suspect that Chimera Squad will be followed up with a Chimera Squad 2 about whatever the shadowy conspiracy is, while XCOM 3 will mostly not address the events of Chimera Squad (except for maybe radio broadcasts etc). I think Chimera Squad is distinctive enough from standard XCOM that they will want to keep both lines going. They talk about a new Avenger being built in Antarctica, so the theory about going out into spaaaace is probably correct. I am very in favour, it would be fun to see what a Muton city is like, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Damage and HP is lower across the board in chimera squad and variability of damage is proportionately larger. I tend to find the real point of crits in Chimera squad is to improve the reliability of damage. Turning 1/3rd a chance of killing an opponent to a 100% reliable kill means a lot, especially since unlike in XCOM 2 you can't rely on having your last squad member to clean up low HP enemies at the end of the turn.

EDIT: VVV Well, yes, moving to flank is a lot less useful. But I still throw in target analysers on breaches because it helps tidy up opponents. Rolling the crit, at least on impossible difficulty, is pretty often the difference from one-shot-one-killing enemies on the breach, and well, not.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 27, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Honestly I didn't find the rookie meat grinder much of a thing beyond the first three or so missions even in the original Gollop XCOM. Once you get personal armour survivability improves a lot, and when you get the infinite ammo laser weapons you can just organise your troops in a mob, move a character forward to spot an enemy, mass fire with all your units, and then move your scout back out of LOS. Bonus is that this builds aim fast as well.

And when you get mind control basically no one needs to be in any danger ever again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It drives me mad when people like the Three Moves Ahead podcast crew talk about how they have to savescum because losing a high level soldier is the end of their campaign or something and I'm like noooooo. Like jeez just build some breadth into your roster, bring those squaddies and rookies along, don't do every mission with the same maxed out squad....

Boozie posted:

Just a sanity check that buying things like breaching charges aren't a 1 time only use. Assuming 1 time per mission.

Yup. Nothing is permanently consumed in the firaxis xcoms except bizarrely, overdrive serum in xcom (2?) for some reason.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 28, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's a dark event that gives enemies lightning reflexes. Does that apply to Zephyr's version of Bladestorm?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Look, Bradford was trying his best

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

This OTOH I can get onboard with - at least in CS. I don't think it's necessarily a bad game mechanic (i.e. I loved it in Phantom Doctrine) but it makes precious little sense in a game where YOU'RE THE COPS. You're the one with the massive resources and bloated budget !

Obviously you are actually "diversity hires" set up to fail by the higher ups. I mean you even have to do your own research, and fund your equipment from donations and bribe money

I actually like the reinforcement mechanics, it makes everything super tense as you are trying to leave.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 1, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Okay, that's never happened to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I said before that I want XCOM3 to go full Stargate SG1, and even though they announced a Stargate strategy game, I still want that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, I thought it sounded pretty neat

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Spiderman games were pretty good. Star Wars Squadrons was fun. I frankly don't get how Disney *could* have a malign influence over a Marvel XCOM-like. It's a strategy game, there's probably going to be barely a story. So what's supposed to happen, is the Mouse going to ban Black Widow from using overwatch?

Okay, there would probably be quite limited mod support, but that's like the only thing I can think of.

They made a Mario XCOM and it was good. There's no level of imposed 'sanitisation' and 'mass market appeal' that would make a XCOM type game bad. It's just a matter of how well the devs do their job. If it's the Life is Strange devs making a Marvel game I might be worried, but XCOM isn't that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 7, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Neither did the Mario XCOM.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

I don't think anyone is surprised that a nintendo exclusive with their flagship character running exclusively on their console hardware didn't allow modding.

An XCOM-ish game from Firaxis not having any modding is obviously a very different thing.

I'm not saying it's surprising or something, I'm saying it doesn't really matter as to whether this game is good or not. It'll come down to whether the devs find fun ways to remix the XCOM formula to fix the change of setting (like, say, the jumping mechanic they added to Mario). I suspect that what they'd probably do is make an XCOM that is more centred on ability use and melee combat, since that's what superheroes tend to be more into.

I've used my share of QoL mods before, but I thought Chimera squad worked well unmodded, so if people think that Firaxis is incapable of making a game that's good without getting the fan community to fix it for them, then that's quite a different problem.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 7, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Why not both?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am pretty positive about this. Honestly Firaxis' worst tendency is to turn a successful game into a cycle of the Sid Meier 33%/33%/33% incremental changes type series. I don't want XCOM to go the way of Civ 4-5-6 etc.

I can see some potential in the premise, it follows along what I thought earlier in terms of trying to build something combo-heavy. Hopefully it's good?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

snoremac posted:

I'd like an indicator in future games of how much of the invisible map you will expose yourself to if you move to particular positions. You don't learn if something is there, but that if it is there it will see you.

The problem is that this will give you info on the unseen terrain as well. But yeah, maybe they should just bite the bullet. My other thought is that maybe they should just give you a vague idea of pod locations before you start. Like a thermal scan of the area, possibly gated behind a base facility or tech upgrade. Old xcom games had the motion scanner.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think reapers are very good early on, though. If you only have 4 in a squad, the firepower loss from making one of them a reaper is pretty nasty.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I think the franchise kinda abandoned any pretensions at seriousness with Enemy Within and honestly? It's probably what the studio is good at.

Leave sad middle aged men having a bad time to Xenonauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007