Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Started playing this last night after watching a buddy fall into addiction with the Epic Games free giveaway. I’m having a blast with this game so far, but was wondering if there is a way to know when I am moving into a flanking position? Is it only possible to see that after you move and get the yellow “shoot this flanked guy” icon, or is there something I might be able to see prior to moving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Get the Gotcha Again mod. It helps a lot with knowing what your movement will do. So much so that they kind of stole it and put it in the expansion pack as a QoL upgrade.

Awesome, thanks!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Important to remember that XCOM 2 has extremely robust options fully modeled and voiced anime characters, Star Wars aliens, etc.

Don't see how you could go back to EU once you get used to Big Boss, Nien Numb, and all four RWBY girls piling out of the dropship!

This was actually my next question. I was sold on the game once I found that there were Star Wars mods. Is there a total conversion mod, or just a bunch of reskins and things of that nature?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
This game really needs a “this is my first time playing this game” difficulty setting that includes detailed tool tips about new enemy types and a loving UNDO button. My biggest gripe right now is making a move that I am *sure* is going to finish off the pod, only to find out that this new enemy type can completely counter/nullify my ranger’s slash, or snag my grenadier with its tongue from eighty feet away THROUGH cover…

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 25, 2022

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

That’s XCOM!

Thanks I hate love it!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Unless you're playing on Ironman (which would be a silly thing to do for a first-timer), there's nothing to stop you from save-scumming during missions.

Nothing except the annoyingly long load times.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kaal posted:

Transferring the files to a solid-state drive should help with that if you haven't already.

That’s actually not a bad idea. I tend to keep my games stored on my regular HD, but for something like this swapping to my SDD would probably help tons. I hadn’t even thought about that.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Finished my very first play through of XCOM2 vanilla last night on rookie. Had a lot of fun and basically instantly fired up a WOTC campaign. The vanilla rookie campaign felt a bit too easy and overpowered towards the second half (I don’t think I had a single soldier die, and I did minimal save scumming)… is now the time to make the jump to veteran?

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 2, 2022

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kaal posted:

I think that one of the big aspects of XCOM's difficulty comes from the degree of familiarity with the enemies, so having played through the game on Rookie you should be fine to play on Veteran (and you'll likely enjoy the added challenge). Commander is probably doable for you as well, but the additional casualties might be frustrating.

Yeah this was primarily my issue and what induced many rage-save reverts. I now pretty much know every enemy and their move sets.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone ever play the switch versions of the game? I have a long flight coming up and considering getting a copy for my sanity.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I love the idea of iron man in this game so much, but the complete random element of chaos that the chosen introduce is a huge turn off.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Vanilla was so perfectly balanced I find it hard to play any other way.

If I could loving add mods to the base game on Epic, that’s totally what I would just do, because I really need that “moving here will put you in a flanking position “ helper you get from WOTC.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
You can currently get it used from GameStop for ~$15. May be worth it at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
The DLC introduced so much over complicated bullshit (the chosen randomly appearing) to missions that I prefer playing vanilla. A newbie should definitely stick to vanilla on their first play through.