Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone found any good coupon codes yet, or are we looking at full price on steam as our best purchase option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can someone provide a link to whatever stream you guys are watching?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^Generation Internet, we should MP duel for the honor of the German Empire/Entente. A rematch of sorts.

Are there any notable mods other than long war worth checking out at launch?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

First mission :smug: :xcom:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

Quoting this from some pages ago: When does Tutorial end? Can anyone give a hint without spoiliering essential stuff? :monocle:

I think it's really just the first two missions, but it's hard to tell, honestly. It keeps teaching you poo poo for a while.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just had a 2 stun lancer, 1 sectoid pod wipe my entire squad of 5 dudes in two turns. Mind control + double stun = bad times. :xcom:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My game locked up on alien activity in iron man, and reloading the next save has me unable to do anything (I can't even tell whose turn it is). Is there anything I can do or is that campaign lost?

EDIT: The save in question https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl9nw7j3danu0np/save6?dl=0&preview=save6

If someone can load it up and actually get it to a turn, and reupload it, I'd appreciate it. Figure it'll give you the same problem though.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 6, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

My ironman game just permanently broke due to a bug.

a muton grenade cause two of my dudes to fall through the roof, killing one of them. then a sectoid reanimated the dead xcom corpse. Some z-level fuckery means that the zombie is now below the game world, and the game hangs permanently with a ragdoll corpse floppy sound looping.

So ends ironman game1

I had this exact problem, a zombie died and now the floppy sounds of its dead body just play on loop, in a never ending turn. :rip: our ironman save.

Don't play ironman. Game is currently too buggy.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seems pretty lame to not be able to preload and it's 30 GB.

Goddang it, came to this thread to check if it was just me. Firaxiiiiis

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chimera squad is fun and I really love the breach mechanic, but I miss the progression and vulnerability of your dudes in 1 and 2.

I have been out of the modding scene - is there a mod of choice for 2 WOTC? Or is there anything that makes XCOM 1 better than or with some of the improvements of 2?

The wonder of doing autopsies and slowly teching up your dudes in 1 can't be met with 2 or chimera :(.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was tempted to get back into xcom 2 lately - haven't played in a LONG time though!

Is long war 2 the mod of choice still? Is it still painfully long and tedious or is there some way to make it a bit more tolerable despite this?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

I don't think long war 2 was ever "the mod of choice". It changes the strategy layer so radically (and not necessarily in a way that's actually an improvement), the only reason to go for it is if you specifically want that strategy layer.

There are plenty of other mods to play around with the tactical combat if that's all you're after. Or just the unmodded game has a lot to offer.

I remember when it was about to come out and everyone was excited about it - some googling shows they really revamped the strategic layer and I guess not everyone likes it? That's a shame.

I'll try unmodded again then, maybe, unless there's any other small or overhaul mods that people really enjoy.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Splorange posted:

Obviously there are wrong ways to enjoy the game. :v:

Some recommendations:
Evac all
Got you again (clearly indicates where you will trigger enemies that you've discovered)

The only way to know you have enough cosmetics mods, is when the main menu characters glitch into Lovecraftian horrors.

Also, get all of the thirst mods.

Now this is proper advice :hmmyes:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is all good advice - I'll probably start with vanilla or lightly modded WotC and try Long War if the ennui of Summer makes me want something longer and more punishing.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mechanically and in terms of UI/quality of life, XCOM2 is superior to XCOM1 and I love playing it for that reason. The stealth stuff is fun too.

But narratively and flavor wise, XCOM1 is just so much more fun. Learning about the aliens, capturing them, shooting down and reverse engineering UFO's and general tech... it's wonderful.

Is there a mod that just uses XCOM2's UI and QoL changes pasted over XCOM1?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zerbin7 posted:

Not to hijack the thread, but what's the general opinion on Phoenix Point? I'm expecting it to go on sale tomorrow on Steam (like just about everything else), and I figured that this would be a good place to get a general consensus.

I'm curious about this too!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All game developers do now is eat hot chip and be bisexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Midnight Suns is 75% off in the Steam sale - as someone who REALLY likes XCOM but dislikes marvel generally, is it still worth it?

Don't care at all about marvel and enjoyed the game. The mechanics are fun and I didn't feel like it overstayed it's welcome, except some of the exploration bits.