Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Veotax posted:

While the game may not have regular controller support, it looks like it has pretty good Steam Controller support.

So uh, I've kept dark on this game... why the gently caress did they remove controller support :psyduck:

I loved using a gamepad in XCOM, the controls were perfect and I chilled on my couch zapping aliens for several weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

splifyphus posted:

Ironman is totally mandatory. It's a completely different game when you can't gently caress up. The tension and attachment to your soldiers goes through the roof.

After a crash wiped my ironman save in XCOM, I'm never playing that mode again :P

The 'oops, clicked wrong, gently caress you' aspect is also deeply unappealing.

I wound up doing a save every mission and accepting the consequences, that was iron man enough for me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Again, enabling Ironman for launch is a terrible idea. Don't folks remember how awful the bugs were on launch for EU? Just manually save the game and never load from it.

Exactly this. Not getting hosed again by some lovely bug and/or crash.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lmao, peak xcom already. 3/4 soldiers dead on first mission, last one survives a wildly improbable rush to defuse the power converter between two advent soldiers and the sectoid, then run away and slowly pick them off, with the sectoid finally burning to death from a grenaded truck

Yeahhhh, Veteran will be just fine for me I think.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Help I'm retarded, how do I switch to my sniper rifle? My sharpshooter wants to use her pistol really badly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

What's the consensus so far, or is everyone too busy playing pretty princess with their soldiers?

3/4 my soldiers died in first mission, 2/4 dead in second mission, and I failed the primary objective

10/10 would xcom again

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pierson posted:

Anyone else have graphical stuttering/lag? I can run Witcher 3 at ultra flawlessly but wow some screens here have rough stuttering.

Yep, really chunky. I turned off three of the options that differ between high and medium without touching texture settings and it seems to have helped a bit.

Also I failed the primary objective of the second mission and it didn't bother to actually tell me that means game over until I finished off the rest of the bad guys :cripes:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game's performance is chunky as gently caress. Not really bad fps (though in some places), but just nasty hitchy loading and frame tearing.

I had a soldier get completely frozen after being bound and freed. Couldn't move, overwatch, end turn, nothing. Had to save and reload to fix it.

And I really really miss gamepad support :saddowns:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was not getting hyped at all with the pre battle music compared to XCOM 1

So then I went and looked and realized they dropped Michael Mccann :saddowns:

GDI Firaxis. No controller support, now this. Why u h8 me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Weird nerd lore question: when the aliens invaded in xcom, did they come in a giant fleet, or just a handful of ships?

The fact that you had satellites period never made much sense to me, but I guess the scale of the invasion was supposed to be small-ish?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gg xcom

Concealment ambush, troops miss three point blank overwatch shots, resulting in an unconscious trooper from a stun rod. Killing him with a sword slice results in a death from a revealed mec squad. Third trooper dies hacking objective to two flashbanged sectoids.

Evac two live troops and one unconscious soldier.

Ok, fine.

Next mission. Trigger ambush, miss four short range overwatch shots, trooper gets crit for half his life. e: almost forgot, one of my soldiers promptly dies to an enemy overwatch shot after a triggered muton from the ambush grenades three of my soldiers :shepface:

gently caress overwatch.

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 6, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kater posted:

Putting everyone into overwatch for reveal is such a trap. Need either a Ranger to finish the job or something to make poo poo safer.

Normally I don't bother because overwatch accuracy is garbage, but I saw a loading screen tip that said overwatch shots are full accuracy.

gently caress a bunch of that, doing single action reveals from now on xcom1 style.

e: lost 4/5 soldiers that run from a panic spiral after the first death (from a trooper behind full cover with a smoke grenade on him :xcom:)

victrix fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 6, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Thought I'd be clever and complete a VIP extract in concealment the entire mission.

That worked fine until I opened his cell door. Then this happened in one turn:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Antti posted:

Yeah, concealment is not for that. That's a trap. I actually read some guy John Teasdale's IGN article on XCOM2 and he expressly warned against doing that because, well, that would happen. So instead I use concealment to clean up the first pod I run into swiftly and cleanly.

I stayed completely dark (in concealment? :haw:) on the game until launch, so I'm being delightfully blindsided at every turn.

I made it out with only two casualties!

Somehow the last trooper survived two rounds of panic :monocle:

Sadly she died to suppression trying to reach the evac point a few steps away :eng99:

I think I'm teetering on the brink now, doomclock is one tick from completion, lost all my veteran troops on those last two massive failures, along with all my extra gear.

We'll see if I can recover with an exo and magnetic rifles...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

First run out with exo, after engaging first squad out of concealment, she triggers a muton pack right around the corner on my final move from cover to cover, on the opposite side of the building from them :cripes:

Then she panics from taking one damage and flees into the building :cripes:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there some sort of summary/status screen you can access? I keep doing stupid poo poo like reloading a fast reload gun because I can't remember who has what (and/or I don't notice the green mag on the gun, sue me).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The unforgiving difficulty is pretty fun, the random bugs loving you over XCOM1 launch style, are not.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't believe how badly I'm getting hosed :psyduck: Three failed hacks in a row on a turret and two mecs? Check! I go 80%+ mission accuracy due to careful use of flanking and cover destruction, but when it really counts and one roll can ruin me? Yeeeep. Love it.

Is there some way to tell if someone is in line of fire for overwatch? I lost a spider armor trooper to an enemy three floors below on the other side of a bunch of cover when I tried to move in to the building, away from the trooper.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Make that four failed hacks :shepface:

Think this is going to be a failed outing, unless the rookies can tackle an advent facility.

How do you use waypoints?

Also how far into the realm of statistically improbable am I falling. I'm whiffing shots left right and center on this mission against targets with no cover :psyduck:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gonadic io posted:

My cat just killed half my squad (ironman veteran) by stepping on the end key on my keyboard when my squad was standing in the evac zone but only some had gotten out of there. :rip:

ironman.txt

Actually the thread is gradually filling with them. I admire your fortitude.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Six failed hacks in a row, with success rates from 50-80% :shepface:

My hackers need alien tech for dummies apparently.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So the Black Fog is still the greatest enemy in the game. I've had some bad beats in combat, but nothing even comes close to sending a guy one step too far into unexplored territory, whether in or out of concealment, just like xcom1.

Sometimes it's really loving lovely too, you have your guys spread out all over, use scanner bombs, have high ground, but somehow you're missing the pack of mutons two feet away, so inevitably the last guy you move reveals them and :rip:

Going back to ultra-conservative xcom1 movement again I guess. I thought concealment might change that, but if anything, it just encourages me to rush and over-extend, inevitably leading to unavoidable casualties just due to the number of rolls you're forced to make to survive against multiple groups.

The enemies are way way way too nasty even early in the game to let more than one group get a full turn on your team. Flashbanged them and have your guys in hard cover hunkered and/or smoked? gently caress you, they die.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Four ambushes, four rounds of complete misses by 3-4 squad members. I can't win fights like this xcom :negative:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there some bug that stops you from using Overwatch? I keep running into situations where it won't let me use it. Start of turn, full actions, full ammo, no disabilities, overwatch icon lit up, can't overwatch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are you loving kidding me? Dude behind heavy cover, enemies at long range, no problem, they both hit and kill. No surprise there, that's xcom after all.

Resulting panic spiral, one of my guys breaks cover and runs. My other guy on overwatch loving shoots him. Are you making GBS threads me? Not a panicked soldier, just a dude on overwatch. Come the gently caress on.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any way to locate downed soldiers? I'd like to carry their bodies out but uh... this battlefield is a mess and I can't tell where they are.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress concealment where you have a dude in LoS of the enemy squad to light up alert squares, move another guy to a 'safe' square and it alerts them :psyduck: He didn't run through another square either. Buggy poo poo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jesus christ, peak loving XCOM.

Miss a 95% shot on an officer who is in the open, die to cryssalid poison which panics my remaining soldier who was on overwatch, so he runs away.

Then the officer dodges two more sniper shots before I finally kill him. gently caress you officer.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

jneer posted:

It's times like this when you find out what whiny babies a lot of gamers really are. The same people who cry about the consolification of games and how games were harder back in the day can't handle a little tension.

People hate time limits in games. Particularly for something like a TBS, which people usually play because they can relax and take their time, it's even more anathema.

Ignore that it's a really good design that avoids really boring gameplay, lots of people love boring safe gameplay that rewards them :shobon:

gently caress Chryssalids.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big problem with XCOM2 is there's a timer on everything. You're under a timer from the start with a clock that will hit 7/10 units within the first month. You're under a timer to prevent Dark Ops from occurring. You're under a timer in most of the missions, and likely to get interrupted in whatever you try to do on your own volition with a mission of critical importance that you're not allowed to say no to Or Else. While it admittedly slows down a little mid-game, there is an excessive amount of stress put upon the average and beginner player that needs a rebalance at the start of the game. That's not even including the new Sectoids being dumped on the player from the very first real mission in.

Play on easy :shrug: Use mods to make the game easier :shrug:

There are options there beyond 'gently caress I died on normal, better go write a negative review because I can't handle the difficulty'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My entire 6 man squad just missed a target :shepface:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I couldn't make this stuff up.

Put sniper on top of building.

Enemy shield trooper climbs building, gets behind him for flank shot, shoots him.

He takes heavy damage, survives, uses Return Fire, misses.

Second trooper far down below and in the distance shoots at him. He uses Return Fire.

He misses but the shot MAKES THE FLOOR TILE BENEATH HIM COLLAPSE.

He falls three floors to his death, panics two other squad members (one of whom flanks the second trooper who shot him and misses at point blank range using an aim assisted gun).

:xcom:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So do sectopods ever miss? Because this one never missed. It killed my squad so loving fast, even hunkered down dudes in heavy cover.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahahahahahaha

Can a squad of 6 recruits with mag weapons tackle an avatar facility guarded by two sectopods? Yes. Yes they can.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

From tier 1 to plasma, I failed every hack. Every hack.

The failure slam in this game are incredible.

In one turn I went from full squad to one dead and mind controlled, two panicked, and one pulled and bound, who then revealed another pod.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

klapman posted:

this is my life

By the time I hit those, I was so far down the failure spiral that I simply could not beat them. Rookies would panic after one scratch/death, and that was that.

I had to abort two long, drawn out, painfully nail biting missions because sectopods at the end were unkillable by the tattered remnants of my force.

I've managed to hang on to this game by my fingertip's fingertips, but I think I should have restarted like two hours ago with what I know now about ignoring whiners on the strategic map and cherry picking missions. Full squad wipes aren't acceptable, too much lost xp and resources in gear.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Overwatch is so, so loving bad.

Break cover with one trooper, of the remaining five, one hits a non lethal shot.

Flashbang with the sixth because well, that was a fuckup.

Flashbanged enemy crits one of my troops :shepface:

:sigh:

Jesus loving christ, my entire squad just missed one enemy troop in the open two rounds in a row. I can't win fights like this :psyduck:

victrix fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 7, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is unreal. Two soldiers dead in a single shot behind high cover under smoke. What the gently caress am I supposed to do about this :psyduck:

My dead soldier count is stratospheric. At least the council can't complain cuz they're all dead/or alienized I guess :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You win xcom, you win. 5 dead soldiers, all behind high cover, 3 of them while smoke was active. I can't beat this level of :xcom:

Don't keep playing if you're playing bronzeman and you get into a fail spiral, it's not worth the time :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

how me a frog posted:

Third campaign ruined by things completely outside of my control. I dunno, this game feels randomly unfair in a way X-COM EU / EW did not.

I'm not even playing on hard. :argh:

I have a pretty good idea how to tackle a second campaign, but yeah, risk management is a thing. You need to learn when to bail on missions, and when to skip missions. The penalties aren't nearly as bad as the WARNING WARNING :siren: would have you believe.

What is unrecoverable is losing all your dudes and their gear repeatedly.

Going into a failure spiral from getting crushed by horrendous rng feels pretty poo poo though. I don't recall that ever happening in XCOM 1 unless I really made stupid moves. Here I'm using all the tools at my disposal and still wiping out.

I fought tooth and nail to hang on after early wipes and the doom clock redlining, and came back from the brink three times, but in the end I simply couldn't keep pace with enemy forces, despite reaching plasma tech. Rookies couldn't handle combat against high end enemies, a single hit would cause a panic spiral, and I couldn't get enough resources to recruit vets in any significant numbers.

With a shot accuracy average of 70%, it's not like I was overwatch creeping and lobbing shots at targets behind hard cover, but when I really really needed those shots to hit or not to get hit, welp, :xcom: That average was closer to 80% before the last few missions that torpedoed that campaign, rookies can't hang with sectopods and whatever that orb of doom is.

I have to give them credit for the difficulty spikes though, I don't think I've ever failed so many missions within steps of the finish (sometimes literally, nothing like losing your final evacuee as he sprints to the evac point and dies to a single overwatch shot because gently caress you).

I also detest how badly you can get hosed by your last soldier move to what you think is a safe space that isn't revealing new los. Nope, you moved to the one square in the middle of your other five troopers that can see through two windows and three floors to another squad of enemies, :rip: your team.

And again for emphasis, I failed every hack from tier 1 to tier 3. That's spectacularly loving poo poo luck.