Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
FYI, things you've hacked can switch allegiances back on their turn, and if there was a declared hack duration I missed it.

So, for example, you wouldn't want to leave your medic with their back facing a hacked turret to get suddenly crit from behind for 7 hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

There's a lot of strong items/abilities you can grab in this game but holy poo poo, motile inducers and bubble grenades are just a level above everything else.

In the early game though, slapping mach armor on everyone cut out a huge chunk of incoming damage and let me keep everyone topped up with Terminal. Zephyr was by far my best damage dealer up through midgame, and parry let her eat through enemy's actions as well after caving in their friend's skull. Once you get good aim items, ammo types, and eventually epic weapons, Blueblood becomes incredibly strong. Axiom seems good the whole game, with his tank upgrades, huge mobility, and free attacks. I started with these 4 and kept them around most of the game, rotating in Torque and Patchwork when I felt like it.

Re: the different campaign paths on Hard:

I agree with the people saying that the last Sacred Coil mission was a huge difficulty spike. I did their Campaign second after Gray Phoenix and the last two rooms were probably the first time I felt like I could lose my whole squad, between the ridiculous ninja boss and his dual blade pals, andromedons, mecs, and the gatekeeper. I'm finishing up the Psion campaign now but with all the lockdown and strong dps I have at this point, they haven't been a threat.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

I went back and am playing WoTC for the first time after finishing chimera squad, and let me tell you:

the assassin gets me real mad at video games

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I’m using the maps mod for xcom 2 (can’t remember the name) and they are great but oh god it really fucks up the chosen even more,and it’s really glitchy with enemies shooting you through walls.
The hunter chosen just grapples really short distances and marks you through walls (is that last bit a glitch or intended?)

That's pretty much all the hunter did against me in unmodded WoTC, for what it's worth. He was by far the most ineffectual chosen, except for the one time he remembered he had a normal gun and did 7 damage + bleeding in one non-crit when I was still in predator armor. Or when I happened to have 6 mindshields on a warlock mission.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Man, the setting for XCOM 3 is going to be pretty awesome based on what CS has set up.

Part of me thinks they're setting up for an Apocalypse-style "united Earth, with former invaders, against extradimensional enemies" situation, especially given the end of WotC. People keep talking about the Elders returning in Chimera Squad, though.

That is, if they don't go for yet another alternate timeline.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

It's worth noting that the folks working on LWOTC (the expansion LW2 port) have gone beyond porting over the base LW2 mechanics and adjusting the Chosen and hero units to fit them; they've decided to "rebalance" (read: mostly nerf) almost every LW2 skill tree and equipment item, add some new skills of their own design, and in the most recent version are even completely revamping the psi tree with new skills and tree structure. I liked my beta 3 playthrough but it seems pretty clear that the project is getting bloated and might not release anytime soon.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

LWoTC removes the headshot mechanic from Lost on anything above the easy difficulty if you want to see how "fun" that gets.

I can't recall what they decided on doing with the aggro balance of Lost vs the advent AI though.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

I’m personally not a fan of the constant radio chatter from the Chosen, but they also add nothing to the story.

If they really wanted to go for a more personal threat in the expansion, I think it would have worked better if they had some elite Advent hunter squad going after you with their leader very occasionally broadcasting a message. Instead we get some superpowered human alien hybrids (one with extremely strong psionics!) who somehow don’t tie into the plot of the Elders looking for superpowered human alien hybrid bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

For those interested: Long War of the Chosen released their first major post-release update a few weeks ago.

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1kHAQHA7OQFqpkWfJs-sNcM3SVSxGl2xDRCU9AxyTkN4%2Fedit

Highlights:
    +A ton of bug fixes and performance improvements
    +Chosen adjustments, mostly nerfs, especially on the Hunter (the prick)
    +Some balance changes focused mostly on bringing up underused stuff (infinite use combat protocol! low cooldown skirmishers! usable concussion rockets!). RIP to cyclic fire gunners and banish reapers, still too strong for this world
    +Templar rework: no more combat shield, worse volt, some miscellaneous buffs and a new single target damage ability