Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Nordick posted:

Hype level: Through the roof and rising

Like, as much as I really like Xenonauts and made the thread for it and all, if there was a Xenonauts 2 announcement now I'd be like "prfft whatever"

This is gonna be a long loving week
Likewise. If OpenXcom development completely halts next week, you'll know why.

Oh is it kosher to mention OpenXcom in here? My threads never last. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Coolguye posted:

Hey I live in Kansas and the thing all you guys forget is the word "tried". The reason you must say this is because even in the demons and dragons big corp republican hellhole folks seem to think this place is, that proposal got laughed out of the state senate because the system isn't perfect but it generally works. It's like you are offended that someone even thought of a thing, which is way more oppressive than anything that's been proposed.

So thanks for being insensitive clods but I'd rather talk about OpenXCOM and all the cool stuff that project is doing and also it is 110% ok to talk about in this thread because it is XCOM and XCOM is good.

Ps: snake tits
Time for a new OpenXcom mod:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

In the original you could huck peoples bodies around.

Whenever I captured an alien I'd drag it back to the skyranger where a rookie with a shock prod could smack it any time they woke up (Because they could wake up in the original).
It's often forgotten you never had to kill all the aliens in original X-COM, you could at any point say "gently caress this", manually recover any aliens/artefacts back to the Skyranger and abort. Well ok it was the more boring option, but maybe you'd rather just get a headstart on Plasma research than try to hopelessly shoot all those fuckin' Cyberdiscs with your puny human bullets.

Rhymenoserous posted:

X-Com remastered would be something I'd totally play. The modern games have the occasional "And then catastrophy struck" moments. But really nothing compares to kicking the skyranger door open, and an etherial that's right across the street immediately panics the blaster bomb toting dude into nuking the entire squad.
I think it's the strictness of the shots. In XCOM shots can only "hit" or "miss". They can never "miss and end up critting the fully-armored Commander sitting on the other side of the map".

We toyed with the idea of an X-Com Remastered back when the IP was well and truly dead, but I don't think there's any chance of that now. Maybe they'll hire us when they're on their 5th game and in need of a cheap "back to the roots HD remake" cashgrab. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is OpenTFTD at a point where it can be completed by us complete scrublords mere mortals yet?
That's a feature.

(yes TFTD is fully playable in the nightlies)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

drat those modding options and debug tools look awesome. As a dev it certainly makes me jealous, we'd get a lot less bug reports if players could just dig into the internals and learn that yes their rookies really are that bad, although I don't wanna imagine the work that had to go into it. At least we did Skirmish mode first. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seeing as how the OpenXCOM thread is long dead, does anyone mind if I ask about it here? I started reading about the Final Mod Pack and fired up my old OX install to try it out, only to find out I need one of the nightlies. Problem is, when I go to run it, it hangs, opens 3 or 4 copies of itself that I can't kill in task manager and refuses to do anything else. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but I'm totally lost about what I might be doing wrong.
Did you check the Installation FAQ? Most people mess up the folder structure since you can't just drop it on top of 1.0. You need to extract it to a new folder, put your original files in \UFO\ (and \TFTD\ if you have it) and you're good to go.

Also make sure you don't have a hyperactive antivirus.

VoLaTiLe posted:

I really hope someone makes a total remake of the original Xcom UFO defence in the new engine.
The EU assets would be better suited for that. Maybe they can be carried over?