Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Rygar201 posted:

XCOM sympathizers are the Dees/Alex Jones crowd of the 2030's! :tinfoil: :catdrugs:

Oh my god can someone commission Dees to make an xcom 2 ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Notorious QIG posted:

Question: The Bureau is currently $4 on Steam. I know it's a shooter and wasn't very well received, but is it good enough to merit a single playthrough to get excited for XCOM 2?

I just bought it and started on a whim and so far its kinda tedious. Enemies are bullet sponges and your teammates don't seem that useful.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, it flat out says your teammates don't do as much damage unless you specifically direct them to attack an enemy.

I completely ignored the tutorial messages because I had such low expectations for the game and thought that it'd just be a generic third person cover shooter. Joke's on me.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The issue with blademaster is that while it is just a boring flat damage boost, it fuels so many of the other traits down the tree. Having +2 makes bladestorm better, it gets more mileage out of reaper and so on. Being flat damage means it becomes less and less of the final product as you move up in tiers, but with it your slash becomes the heaviest hitter for quite a long time. I think bringing a knife to a gunfight isn't as bad as beagle demonstrated.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

64bitrobot posted:

Primarily the problem with the sword is it seems to carry around a 5-10% miss chance. Though, I wonder if that could be solved with a perception PCS.

Yeah, and that 5-10% is made worse by the fact that a shotgun can reach 100% pretty early in the game. Blademaster focuses on potency rather than consistency, something a lot of people probably aren't interested in. IIRC Reaper makes your first slash 100% to hit, but being on such a long cooldown makes it difficult to use reliably if you're looking to just smack one guy.

Blademaster should also give a large melee dodge chance, or something like that.

Trilin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2016

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
There's no doubt that phantom will save you a million times, and is worth way more than +2 to melee in a vacuum. Having a dedicated scout can make your engagements safe, and safe engagements are what win missions. However, if I pick up a captainish recruit later in the game I'll give strong consideration to make him a stabman rather than a shootman.

My question is, how far will people go to keep their scout? Would you be willing to have only 5 people fight and keep your scout concealed for an entire mission?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the sword range just single-tile? The thing about Run and Gun was that you could advance and take out an enemy in cover while also landing in a cover spot against the enemy front. If you have to get up in an enemy's grill won't you end your turn exposed most of the time

Your guy will take cover where he's standing after taking a swing, so you can stab a guy and then still be in full cover with careful positioning. Obviously this isn't going to be the case every time.

The waypointing system is your friend here.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

splifyphus posted:

Beagle's stream is back up, he's looking at multiplayer poo poo.

Futbol.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
So before XCOM2 releases, let's revisit one of beagle's first I/I EU videos. That intro. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
I think people should just try to figure out how to back-up your save file so you can play on ironman without worry. I'm sure its do-able.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

cheesetriangles posted:

So I logged in with a VPN in NZ but it still says 13 hours to unlock. Will it unlock in an hour or did I waste money on a VPN?

I remember a guide saying that the time will be inaccurate.

Check on the steam store through your browser.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am torn between normal and Classic; I did normal on the original because I didn't understand the mechanics and needed to learn. I want to do classic but at the same time I would rather not fail 20 hours into a game, not because of my tactical failings, but because I didn't know in advance that I needed to have stockpiled fifty snake tits to complete a project I needed to win

I think normal/ironman is reasonable even if you're experienced with EU/EW. Firm but forgiving for your learning run.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Well I just had a car catch fire and explode on the same turn after 20 seconds of waiting. Not sure if that was a bug. RIP tutorial squaddie.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Pomp posted:

how do i enable ironman

afaik, ironman can't be enabled with the tutorial.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Press start game without tutorial checked, should be there.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Darkrenown posted:

Fun so far, although the AI is still doing silly stiff on Veteran - An advent trooper ran into a close range flanking position against a wounded troop I had, easy kill, but decided to overwatch instead of firing. On the plus side, Sectoids have been staying at range and using Mind spin before raise zombie.

I've seen advent troopers choose to overwatch over making the 'correct' move even on legendary.

I think the low ranking guys being dumb and poorly disciplined is intentional.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Yardbomb posted:

Some of the griping feels pretty deserved though honestly. When the game feels like screwing you in a real not-fun way, the procedural map/mission stuff can whip up some terrible things when you've got limited turns.

Like still a fun game, but some of the new stuff can feel pretty ugh.

You can definitely get some really seriously tough maps as a result of the proc-gen, though they're also some of the most intense and memorable missions. I can definitely empathize with people's frustrations, but ultimately there are solutions which allow you to axe the bad and keep the good through modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Playing xcom2 at 24 fps is CINEMATIC GOD DAMNIT. :smithicide:

I need to upgrade.