Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Colapops posted:

I kind of hope to see the reveal from the ending of Enemy Unknown come back - the idea that the invasion was meant to be a test of humanity to prepare us/use us against a much greater threat looming on the horizon that even the Ethereals feared.

When did they say that? I thought the Ethereals were just after a Transcendence victory like their mysterious predecessors managed, but which they couldn't achieve because they were too physically weak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just finished my first campaign, on Commander difficulty which was definitely the right call, felt like I had to keep using my head the whole game through. The final mission was fantastically tense - it really felt like you had to (ab)use every broken skill available to keep up with the sheer volume of poo poo getting thrown at you.

A few questions/thoughts:

- Am I right in saying that Facility Leads are entirely pointless? You get notified whenever the aliens build a facility, and the two times I tried to research it, it just pointed me at ones I could already see.

- In the previews I saw a couple of missions involving investigating landed UFOs like in EU, but I didn't get given a single one all game. Is there something specific you have to do to unlock them?

- I kinda wish there was an obvious end to the tech tree like the blaster bombs in EU - it just sort of petered out with the last few autopsies.

- I only fought 3 berserkers in the entire game apart from the final mission. Are they meant to be that rare?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm not sure about the rest, but Facility Leads are actually gold because they mean you can assault a facility without contacting the local resistance (so without needing to spare comms capacity or connect to a radio relay).

Any facility that's been built is visible on the Geoscape but you can't attack one without local contact or a facility lead.

:aaa: that makes sense, and that'll save a lot of time in the next campaign, as if the doom clock wasn't trivial enough.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Haha! It's funny how many of the late-game enemies whose abilities you never get to see, because letting them survive past the point of contact basically counts as a mission failure.

I still have no idea what the hell Sectopods do in this game, other than soak up a ton of damage.

I'm a little disappointed with Sectopod v2.0 tbh. EU sectopods were much scarier with auto-overwatch and the giant fusion laser cannon they could fire twice for splash damage and cover destruction. I've never seen the new ones fire their doom cannon because you can just stasis or hack them first.

Watching them kool-aid their way through walls will always be great though.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Hellweave will set Vipers on fire if they attempt to tongue grab the wearer.

GOTY 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I just finished my second campaign on C/I and had an absolute blast by playing aggressively, even recklessly once I got Predator armour. Alpha striking every pod one at a time does get boring but when you're up against 2 or even 3 pods at once you have to make really tough decisions and use all your defensive options to the max. Plus having more wounded troops at any one time forces you to develop a broader squad which in turn means taking lower level soldiers on missions which makes things even tougher.

Having said that, I still had to impose some restrictions on myself to keep it challenging - no more than one psi-op per mission, no more than one beacon, no buying high-level soldiers. I doubt I'll ever do Legend just because I find playing optimally so boring.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Will playing on Legend with squad size 6-8 but no IESS completely trivialize it? I've never successfully beaten vanilla Legend because I hate not being able to make mistakes, but I like the idea making things into a bit more of a meatgrinder than usual.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

John Lee posted:

But most importantly, you will likely spend a good portion of the game with the Avatar progress meter quite high. It'll go up and down, but I'd say a good 65% of my game has been with it at higher than half. You lower it by doing the facility assaults (which you might not be able to do immediately, since they can and will pop up in countries you have no contact with) and story-related missions, and it goes up over time.

To add to this, Facility Leads are incredibly useful because they allow you to assault a facility without a direct connection to that region. They research pretty fast, so it's worth grabbing one when you can and keeping one up your sleeve so you can stop the Avatar clock whenever you need to. That in turn gives you more flexibility to expand where you want rather than constantly chasing the facilities as they pop up.

Gato fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Looks like the hero units are fixed characters like Shang and Durand from EU, which is a bit of a shame. I always felt like using them detracted from the fun of procedurally generating your own stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just noticed this little detail in the human enclosure you find during the last mission:

A kid's drawing of a Chrysalid and a Sectoid :smith: