Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know we're just wired differently but I'll never understand how that can be fun. Even just a flawless impossible run sounds painfully boring because at that point you pretty much have to know the AI mechanics to such a level that the game just becomes sterile and you're just going through the motions. And then to add a bunch of bullshit on top of that is just excruciating.

I'm sure he'd find my playstyle of "do stupid thing because it'd be funny, immediately have to clean up the huge mess I made with no benefit" excruciating, but dang I'll never be able to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

haha yeah you'd think that right :shepicide:

the run we're doing on twitch is one where, between soulmata and i, we have something like a dozen grim horizon ironman impossible wins between us. we added something like two beers a stream and from a small number of very regrettable decisions made under the influence of alkeehol we've ended up with a very rollercoaster run that's seen us dump the turn timer restriction because poo poo is always so real.

Now that's 100% my jam :v: I know I've said it before but my goal going into every mission is 1: Get the sniper up top 2: Improvise. XCOM should be all about chaos because the elders want order and we're better than that

Even playing Long War, I know the BEST option is to wait for the enemy to come to me so I get my full turn, but also I wanna go fast nyoom ah piss

E: Like for me, the platonic ideal of :xcom: is hitting the "YEAH I'M PRETTY SURE I JUST hosed THIS WHOLE PLAYTHROUGH" threshhold, then slowly recovering until you manage to not only complete the mission, but complete it without losing anyone permanently. THAT'S xcom to me :unsmith:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 24, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tony fakes the avengers getting kidnapped so him and the other avengers can get lit up in the basement of avengers HQ, so they send your squad of losers in instead

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LonsomeSon posted:

*extended sound of Dr Vahlen inhaling through her nose, followed by a pause* "Whhhhoooaaaah...ugh, ahem!" *Vahlen clears her throat several times* "Commander, I have completed the autopsy of the blood-drinker."

Hey it worked for her Meld examination

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Skirmishers are great, but they're not very flashy about it. Being able to grapple to a fire escape and dump two bursts into a guy is a lot less memorable than being literally invisible or bouncing away bullets with your mind swords

Also the ripjack never quite seems to do as much damage as I expect it to, which is sad because it looks loving awesome

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I also think Skirmishers should get a free skulljack use, the first thing you see of a skirmiaher is Mox skulljacking a dude, and then they're never able to do that in game :mad: that's just mean

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, XCOM is a game of RNG. Yeah, strategy often involves mitigating that RNG as much as possible, but straight-up removing elements of RNG with mods is removing part of the fun of the game, at least for me.

My favorite moments with Repeaters are one of two scenarios: when it procs on something big and scary and dangerous (like getting an execution on a Custodian who's getting a little too close for comfort. Or, as mentioned, a Chosen or a Ruler.

But also hysterical are the random, less-important executions that come when you've completely forgotten that you even have the bloody repeater on in the first place.

Hell yeah wacky xcom is the purest xcom, I still remember an ambush escape in XCOM 2 capped off by two turns of my guys whiffing point blank shots on an andromeda shell, while the shell uselessly kept trying and failing to punch my guys :allears: just a complete embarrassment for both sides I love this stupid series

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if XCOM 3 is a dating simulator

loving finally

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It better be the Nic Cage ghostrider

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zore posted:

We know it isn't. Robbie is cool though and the only Ghost Rider who has anything resembling a fun personality and story though.

:one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I actually really liked the infiltration mechanic from LW2 but hated like, everything else. This sounds great :toot:

It was unbelievably satisfying sending one guy solo on prison breaks and escaping without anyone ever seeing