Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...Unless you intended for Kaz to be telekinetic, you *might* wanna give him a different attitude...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BobTheJanitor posted:

Ah, so there is a way to turn off all of the weird weapon attachment changes, that's great. I did look through the settings briefly after first installing it, but you never really know what you want to keep and what you want to drop until you actually play with the thing. Unless someone goes to the trouble of adding really specific tooltips, which is pretty rare with mods.

Personally, I disable the attachment changes, and the shotgun changes, and let most of the rest go through.

Shotguns getting a damage penalty because I attacked from more than 5 drat squares away? gently caress. That.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Hooplah posted:

I like a better advent a lot (i don't even mind the boomers), but i haven't gotten to endgame. does it add anything super frustrating to the back half?

The Bad News: "Prime" variants of some enemies that are like Rulers-Lite. They get reactions whenever they take damage. In a couple cases, this is WORSE than Rulers; if you Fan Fire a Prime and it survives, it gets three immediate actions because it just took damage three times.

The Worse News: There is, in fact, a Sectopod Prime.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To quote someone on Reddit:

"It's only on that turn. The ability is exceptionally cute against the Lost- you can kill multiple Lost, reload, kill more Lost, and then take an extremely long yellow move to catch up to the rest of the squad.

Otherwise, yeah it's pretty much garbage."

The big thing to remember is that Full Throttle is on a class that can shoot and then move.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Red Oktober posted:

I'm super late the party - bought Enemy Within on iPad years ago only to find it didn't really run that satisfyingly on the one I had at the time.

Got a new big iPad pro and thought I'd give it another go - and I'm totally hooked.

I'm not very good at the micromanagement of recruiting/buying weapons/outfitting though, and next playthrough I need to get more satellites up quickly.

Is there any way to lower panic in a region by intervention (other than buying a sat)? Rather than waiting for an invasion.

Placing a Satellite, doing well on a Terror Mission, and occasionally Council Missions are the main ways to lower panic. The Alien Base assault will also reduce worldwide panic, but that's a one-off.

Beyond that, you're out of luck. Getting Satellite Coverage as widespread and fast as possible is the number one objective in the Strategy Layer. And as a note on Satellites - the best time to place them is *right* before the month ticks over use them to knock down panic on anybody who's currently panicking, then shoot for continent bonuses. Abduction panic can spill over to countries on the rest of a continent - if, say, Canada has 4 panic and a Satellite, ignoring an abduction in the U.S. will push Canada up to 5 panic. But once a full continent has coverage, that continent is officially secured and safe, unless you let the enemy shoot one down - which requires you to either be *SEVERELY* behind in power-scaling, or actively trying to screw up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will note, if possible, I would recommend it on the PC over any console ports, simply for the fact of having access to mods and the Steam Workshop. Mods can add thousands of hours of replayability to the game.

But if that's simply not an option, it sounds like it comes down to quality or cost, Playstation or Switch. I'll mirror Sam's suggestion and say that if you care about graphical quality, go for the playstation; I haven't heard good things about the Switch Port, to be perfectly honest.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In regard to the Special Classes, the Plot Tutorial missions introduce two, the Reapers and the Skirmishers that you've seen. The third one, the Templars, don't get a spot in any story-based tutorial, you just have to figure them out on your own.

Note, without the Lost and Abandoned mission active (which is the Chosen/Factions Tutorial), you'll randomly start with one of the three unlocked to start (and in fact the faction soldier will be one of your four Operation Gatecrasher soldiers), then the other two must be unlocked via the Resistance Ring (which you can build from the start, and I usually build it first to get those ops rolling). With Lost and Abandoned, you can't build the Resistance Ring until after the Long & Abandoned mission itself. The tutorial pushes you toward the Ring as a way to do a Covert Op to rescue Mox from being captured, but it's also where you go to unlock the Templars.

In regards to Integrated DLC, I'll give a quick rundown of the two affected by that:

Alien Hunters; this one's kinda controversial due to how the enemies it introduces break the flow of combat, but regardless. If you do not integrate DLC (and have the mission checked off as active), then early on you'll get a quick 3-day scansite that will give you the special Alien Hunter weapons for free. A little bit after that, another scansite will appear that unlocks a mission that you can do immediately, or delay as long as you want. This mission will feature your first encounter with an Alien Ruler, who may or may not escape. After the mission, the Three Alien Rulers (or two if you killed the one in the mission; hard to do) will be active, and can randomly appear in any mission, though they will not appear in the same mission as a Chosen. If you *don't* activate the mission, I don't know how getting the weapons works, but the appearance of the Rulers isn't locked behind the "Alien Nest" mission, they're just active from the start; for this reason, it's strongly recommended you either integrate the DLC, or activate the mission. If you don't want them to show up at all, you need to uninstall the DLC entirely.

However, if you do integrate it, the weapons are locked behind research from Tygan (available from the start), and after that become available as one-time projects per weapon in the Proving Grounds. The Rulers themselves show up as "A powerful Alien" guarding the Avatar Project Facilities that pop up around the globe. One ruler will be present at each of the first three facilities to be built - attack that facility, and that ruler activates. As opposed to one mission activating all three. And that's it.

As for Shen's Last Gift, it's a lot simpler. Without DLC Integrated, you'll get a scansite for a mission, that mission is LONG (which plays merry hell with your units' will, meaning anyone you send on that mission is gonna be VERY tired, and basically be out of action for a while), but you also receive your first SPARK soldier for free, and get a feels moment and a hilarious antagonist, and then afterward you can build more SPARKs from the Proving Grounds. With the DLC integrated, the mission is skipped entirely, and you can simply build SPARKs from the Proving Ground as soon as it's up and running, though you don't get the free one.

In summary, I'd say the missions are worth seeing at least once, but afterward I think it's better to integrate the DLC.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 10, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

And only one at a time, not all at once in a final cage match against your A team yes I will whine about this every chance I get :negative:

Boy, have I got a mod for you:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2262034724

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you’ve unlocked the Resistance Ring, you’ll get operations to decrease the Avatar Project meter, but I don’t think there’s anything else.

Take note, these are not guaranteed to show up every month. But they're not that rare, either.

There's also an "advanced option" to double the length of the Avatar Project Meter, allowing twice as many pips before the Doom Clock starts counting.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

skaianDestiny posted:

Grey Phoenix are the only really sympathetic ones, for example if you do their campaign late enough when the battleship they hijack is in danger of crashing into a populated area their leader personally sacrifices themself to stop that from happening, and even then they cause a lot of innocents harm and do military-grade weapons trafficking.

Even if you do Grey Phoenix early, their reaction to losing is simply "stand down. It's over. We lost. We're stuck here." All they want is to return to space and simply leave, but of course humanity isn't quite willing to trust them with spaceships, for understandable reasons.

Chamale posted:

My first (so far only) time playing Chimera Squad, I gave my cops all kinds of less-lethal weapons and sent Torque for special training because she had killed too many suspects. Almost completed the whole thing, then the city got nuked and the campaign failed because the less-lethal weapons weren't enough to stop some alien from hitting a detonator. Maybe not a good moral.

To be fair, the whole point of Chimera Squad getting called in is because the situation has escalated past a point where the police are no longer able to handle a situation. By definition, if Chimera Squad is getting called in, Lethal Force is justified, if not outright called for. Only reason to NOT go lethal is to get intel from them.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 4, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Also I like that in the end cutscene, Reclamation actually got a nice building with like, a door that closes :unsmith:

Yeah, to be fair, the whole reason you're in the shithole that you're in all game is because Chimera Squad's real HQ building is still under construction.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It did get confirmed as legit by 2k.

Look on the bright side: It's not like they pulled a Diablo Immortal on us by promising a new XCOM game and trying to hype it up before delivering this.

This would seem to indicate that they understand that people who pay attention to gaming companies, and people who flock to mobile games are two different groups and that advertising a mobile game to their playerbase will do nothing but irritate them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

redreader posted:

I want to play Xcom 2: wotc again but I already finished it on normal and then classic (professional? I can't remember) and got a little burned out by the end a couple of years ago. I want to play it again and for it to be fun. I don't think Long War sounds like a good time. Any fun mod recommendations? The changes don't have to be particularly big or game-breaking.

Go for one of the class revamps, and something like A Better Advent, or other mods that adds new enemies to the mix. The Hive is interesting for adding a buttload of Chryssalids of various types to the game.

For class revamps, the Long War classes are available as a separate mod, or the Proficiency classes are a popular setup.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

Amalgamation classes are a great idea imo

Agreed, it's a very interesting randomizer for your soldiers' classes. Doesn't work for me though, I play with a character pool of characters I know well, and sometimes I just need to have them as their proper class, or something fitting. Mods like Amalgamation Classes don't allow for that, it's random or nothing. I actually have trouble with RPGO for similar reasons, as you either have to manually choose everyone's class... or randomize everyone. There is no way that I know of to do both in one campaign, otherwise I'd love RPGO, aside from the soldier-maintenance getting tedious.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, XCOM is a game of RNG. Yeah, strategy often involves mitigating that RNG as much as possible, but straight-up removing elements of RNG with mods is removing part of the fun of the game, at least for me.

My favorite moments with Repeaters are one of two scenarios: when it procs on something big and scary and dangerous (like getting an execution on a Custodian who's getting a little too close for comfort. Or, as mentioned, a Chosen or a Ruler.

But also hysterical are the random, less-important executions that come when you've completely forgotten that you even have the bloody repeater on in the first place.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Hell yeah wacky xcom is the purest xcom

This sentence summarizes everything.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Akratic Method posted:

Y'know, I think that's the only actual tactic for fighting the Archon ruler I've ever seen that isn't just "have been better prepared with the correct equipment/skills/troops". I'll keep that in mind for future runs.

If you ever have a Psi Op on a mission where the Archon King shows up, save Stasis for when he uses Devastate. It delays the Devastate landing until Stasis is over.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Pierson posted:

I loved vanilla XCOM 2 and loved War of the Chosen even more. My understanding is that Long War 2 tries to make the vanilla game a more strategic and guerrilla-style campaign and much much longer but adds a new tech tiers, enemies and 'storyline' missions so it isn't just the same campaign slowed down.

Besides the other Pavonis mods that are made to work with Long War are there any other mods that complement it well (besides the usual Evac-all QOL improvements)?

There was a period after LW2 released when most of the mods coming out were made specifically to be used with LW2. There's plenty, just gotta dig through and see what you like.

Though personally, I'm not a big fan of Long War in general, 90% of the stuff it does tends to be of the "Sounds neat on paper, horrible in practice" variety. Also, Pavonis had a massive, monstrous hatred for all things reliably useful to the player.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

Haven't played in a bit, but I'm noticing an overwhelming number of mods for Strategy Overhaul/Strategy Overhaul Bridge. Is this the new hotness? What can I expect? I get the sense there's a unifying theme, but I haven't seen what that is yet from what I've looked at.

The Covert Infiltration mod came out recently, which splits out the Infiltration mechanic from LW2 into its own standalone mod, and people are throwing stuff out to make other modded content slot into the infiltration mechanics. So yeah, there'll be a fair few mods coming out focused on that for a bit, but it won't be the ONLY thing coming out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there are absolutely problems, but let's not over-sell that.

It is explicitly stated that Chimera Squad only gets sent into missions not directly related to the investigation if the situation has escalated to a point where it is too dangerous for the regular police. Situations where it has already escalated to Lethal Force before you even got called in.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kanos posted:

Even then, you have the option to stick to pretty much exclusively non-lethal takedowns for pretty much the entire game. Mass murdering everything with explosives is an option you have, but you can tranq people/stun them/knock them out too.

And you're even encouraged to do so! You don't get intel from corpses, after all.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

skaianDestiny posted:

I mean it's also weird when you nonlethally hit someone straight out a 3 story window, but that's just game silliness at that point.

The closest we get to beating down minorities are the Mutons who just want to leave, and even then they're depicted as the most sympathetic. The other two are psychic supremacists and holdouts from the old fascist regime.

And we don't figure this part out until after the fighting is OVER. All we can tell up until then is a group of armed and dangerous mutons are gathering equipment and supplies and such to steal spaceships.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kalko posted:

That was the best bit of banter in the game, where Torque doesn't consider herself to be an alien because she was hatched on Earth.

Honestly, I do find it an interesting character quirk that her reason for being prejudiced against space-born is because they're the ones that invaded earth.

Like, yeah, her species ain't exactly native... but Torque herself? She was born here. All y'all older bitches are the ones that actually took part in a hostile invasion.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

I don’t think i ever learned any of that lore from the game

It's in the Archives that you can access aboard the Avenger.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's a surprising amount of lore tucked away in those XCOM Archives, actually. Bradford even points them out to the player in an early bit of dialogue, I just forget whether it's exclusive to the Tutorial or not.

For example, it confirms that XCOM canonically failed the Base Defense mission in Enemy Within, which implies that they managed to successfully assault the Alien Base. That or the aliens said "gently caress it, sequence-breaking"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If Flamethrowers didn't gimp movement compared to the Punchy MECs and the Flamethrower wasn't limited uses, they'd be more even.

The Flamethrower is short-range too, why the gently caress does it get gimped movement compared to the punch?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am unreasonably proud of this screenshot.

My sniper opened the festivities in this mission with style.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Tl;dr: do advanced options added by DLC interfere with trophies? I am a shameless casual and would like extra turns in my turn limits.

I beat vanilla XCOM 2 the other night and decided to snag War of the Chosen and the "Reinforcements Pack" or whatever it's called--with the leaders and the children of anarchy and shen's last gift, etc.--off the PS Store cause both had like 80something% markdowns and I got it all for like 8 or 9 dollars.

Reeeally good deal, considering how much content that all comes out to. I didn't really know what to expect re: WotC and stuff, but it's a lot more than I thought it'd be. Like a total overhaul, basically.

I do have a question, though: I want to try my first Ironman campaign. I'm not a hard-core gamer or whatever--I'm the type where i just play to have fun or whatever. Like, for example, I lowered the difficulty to get through a particularly challenging battle in my diesy victorious campaign, and I really don't mind that I had to do that, cause otherwise I would have been stuck and hated the game and maybe never come back to it.

So, with that in mind, I noticed some stuff in the Advanced Options menu that is added when starting a new campaign, mainly the fact you can get it to double the turn limits. That alone would go along way toward making an Ironman run more enjoyable and feasible for me. But my question is, like, do those affect trophies at all? Wouldn't be surprised if so, since some are nearly cheats, but if they don't mess with my trophies, tbh it sounds kinda perfect.

If mods don't interfere with Achievements, then official options sure as hell won't. I'm pretty sure the ONLY thing that interferes with achievements are using the Cheat Soldiers, which explicitly tell you they will disable achievements.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Note: If you like using grenades, get Claymore ASAP. He eventually gets a perk that gives him double charges of all equipped grenades, support *or* offensive.

If you have an opportunity to get your hands on a Motile Inducer, grab it. It is literally a "give someone a free turn right now" item. And Claymore's double-grenades works on it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

LashLightning posted:

She doesn't have the snake-accent because she was brought up on Earth, unlike those flithy, job-stealing aliens. She's an Earthling. :downs:

Honestly, I think it's just that Vipers in general don't do the stereotypical snake-talk.

Which I like, honestly. It feels more realistic to me, the snake-talk drawn-out S's feels like a cartoonish stereotype that wouldn't be a real thing if a sentient snake were capable of human speech.

Sidenote, I like the one little text-dialogue bit you can see at one point with another Viper doing community service and her handler, and it ends up with a little exchange going "Are you sweet on little old me?" "Less so when your fangs drip."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I use color-coding in EU/EW, but in XCOM2, I have huge numbers of unique characters, so I don't bother with uniforms. Each character has their own one "canon" outfit, and thanks to Unrestricted Customization (as messy as it can be with some mod interactions), they keep that through all the upgrades.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Also I don't think you can evacuate from the Blacksite; it's a mission where the Evac zone is placed *for* you, and only after you achieve the objective.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There are several mods out there which overhaul or really add to the variety of enemies you fight.

"The Hive" is very high quality, but you'll want to grab a decent number of other enemy mods as well, or your game will be flooded with ENTIRELY too many Chryssalids.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dongicus posted:

long war is very ftw and its probably the only way i'll play modern xcom but its such an aggressively hostile game with how much it obfuscates mechanics lol. i pretty much had to learn it through watching streamers

It's definitely something that can appeal to certain niche audiences, but it really does feel that Long War, at its core, is built on deep, seething hatred for the player, and all things reliable and consistent, and goes out of its way to NOT explain how the gently caress things work.

I cannot count the number of features it has that seem neat on paper, but SUCK in practice.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bremen posted:

I honestly like most of the changes in lw2; the difficulty doesn't bother me since I just turn it down a level compared to how I play vanilla. The only things I don't like are the length (yeah, it's called long war, but it's still too long) and bloated number of missions. I'd love a version that basically kept everything except went back to vanilla style with a set number of missions in a month, just a few more and more months before you finished the game.

I might take a look at CI.

Honestly, Covert Infiltration is a perfectly fine step into one of Long War 2's few actually interesting systems, without the gunk that makes it suck.

Missions pop up, and you have to infiltrate a squad for a period of time before actually going on the mission, leans heavily into the Covert Ops, letting you deploy as many of those at a time as you want and separate them from the Resistance Ring, but they take longer.

But, over-infiltrating gives you bonuses that AREN'T simply "less enemies on the mission", combined with the fact that it doesn't skew experience away from kills and into simply completing missions so much that it reaches the point of actively discouraging combat whenever possible like LW2 does.

However, CI leaves actual combat alone, and doesn't have that god-awful Havens system that usually just results in you having no money ever because all your havens get flooded with Faceless every two goddamn weeks who spend all your income downloading viper porn.

In fact, other than the Covert Ops and infiltrating to initiate missions, it leaves most other systems alone; most other things it touches are optional plugins that are listed as separate mods.

I must admit, I don't like their change to the "Collect the Crates" supply mission though. It's annoying enough as it is, turning it into a "grab a few and get out before endless reinforcements slaughter you" is just frustrating when you're used to the normal version where you can, with good gameplay, get every crate on the map.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, I think by now people have sort of largely stopped caring about the "Accurate Swords" bit simply because there are so many ways around it, and to be perfectly honest, it's not that big a deal to begin with.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Samovar posted:

Now I see - Firaxis changed the way it usually started. Had to make a alternative game launcher that forced it to open the old way - that seems to have done it.

The official Launcher for XCOM2 is hot garbage and finding and downloading the Alternate Mod Launcher has been considered nigh-mandatory for people running any number of mods for many years, now. Glad you got it working! Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just want people to know that in one of the missions I played today, Ivo "Dr. Eggman" Robotnik, the Tech Specialist, managed to steal not one, but two enemy MECs, and got an Enemy Protocol hack boost from opening a cell door to rescue the VIP.

Truly, he has the Master Plan. (this is relatively early in the campaign; most advanced thing I've seen is a Berserker)