Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Konig posted:

Actually that's a fair point, EB Games has XCOM 2's release date down as 5th Feb. Would be strange to sell a game from the 5th that only unlocks early morning on the 6th, when they could sell it on the Saturday 6th and make a fair whack more money from Saturday trading. My bet will be on it unlocking the day of the 5th.

If they're planning for any kind of preload over Steam, that'd go without saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pierson posted:

I've been intentionally keeping myself in the dark so apologies if this has been asked before: Do enemies still work the same as in XCOM1 where once they are discovered they immediately get a 'free' movement action to scuttle off into cover?

Initially your squad often starts in 'concealment', meaning enemies have a hard time spotting you if you're behind any kind of cover. So they definitely don't scurry off then and you get a free first ambush on them using an opener + overwatch from every other soldier, for example. After that, though, concealment ends for all classes, except perhaps the Ranger that may stay in it solo and keep scouting for you, and the old discovery rules of XCOM1 and scurry action ensues then (although even there...there are certain abilities, like one particular sniper ability, that allow you to overwatch hit even those guys, if you're smart and set yourself up right beforehand).

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

64bitrobot posted:

So I'm watching parts of Jamball's stream from after beagle stopped last night. ...Apparently Wetwork is retroactive. Your soldiers can apparently gain retroactive experience.

Sheeeit, who the hell wouldn't pick it then?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok I'm gonna mod the Skryranger mission briefing to have classic rock songs playing from the PA.

Long Tall Sally and Fortunate Son is guaranteed, can I get some other suggestions?

My inner fanboy is showing, but how about The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Fixed the internet JUST in time, preloading and should be done exactly by the time it unlocks at midnight here. :3:

Until then, I shall rewatch this magnificent video, in remembrance of the original's beauty.

Finally, I am torn between the first game being either Commander Ironman or Legendary Ironman. The former done as a speedy run would definitely prepare me better for multiplayer (which I am very big on!) but the latter is just...a lot more the kind of difficulty I'm looking for from singleplayer. Opinions?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

poptart_fairy posted:

Going to play on the highest, non-time changing difficulty at first to get a hang of combat and the tech tree. I don't want to develop any "lazy" habits as I plan to do a marathon campaign once I get used to things.

TBH, this is also a good point for me. Legendary adds time to building things at the base, right? I might not play it just due to that, cuz I really want to ace the game quick first...I guess Commander it is then and I get to see the story mission/sequences too, without any jumping inbetween saves.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Nordick posted:

Everyone is free to define their own personal ~true xcom experience~. gently caress this ironman elitism.

Gonna second this. Seriously, I do nothing but Ironman on principle and always the toughest difficulties, but whatever's most fun for you is always the golden rule. Some might consider savescumming and making everything perfect as fun, and more power to them if it's what they find enjoyable. Whereas I consider it to be more fun to end the original XCOM with the first Base Defense mission now, rather than its usual Temple Ship one, and using nothing but base weapons with upgrades. So that's what imma hold myself to, consider it my personal headcanon and say screw anyone who says otherwise to the sticking place.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I dunno. I never had game-breaking ironman happen to me yet personally, whereas the annoying bugs I just take as they come as part of the OG game experience, no matter how ridiculous. I guess I'm either just lucky or I, too, like to live dangerously or whatevs.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also some additional Solomon's Wisdom:

Challenge gladly accepted.

Also, being 1 hour away from unlock meself, is there some sort of trick to getting it to unpack BEFORE the release time? Right now it just downloaded the 25GB, I think, but doubt it unpacked it, or maybe it did while I was gone?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Finally done with the unpacking after 45 mins or so aaand that's me dropping out of this thread for a while. Enjoy and hope to see some of you in the multiplayer in a few days. :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Commander was certainly a nice difficulty for me to have as an introduction to the game, but deffo too easy.

However, I gotta say that it's happened a couple times along the way when saves became corrupted. So I'm curious for opinions ITT, if it's worth risking Ironman Legendary right now, or should I just wait until a performance patch comes out and until then just haf fun with Multiplayer?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Soothing Vapors posted:

Faceless really start out terrifying but by some point that arrives way too quickly in the game, you're excited to see them so you can build more mimic beacons

like, I get excited late earlygame/early midgame when the dark event is hidden faceless in every misison

Yeah, early on they're kindof a bitch to deal with, before you get better weapons and gear to deal with them properly. But later in the game they're about the only type of enemy that doesn't get upgraded (or much at all) so by then you're just happy to farm them for mimic beacons or for the satisfaction of seeing big tubs of lard fall down.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Famethrowa posted:

I really want to love this game, but the slowdown issues and stupid animations are just making it a slog right now (gently caress you gremlin).

When it takes 20 seconds to process an enemy turn, and my soldier ends up critted in the end, I just rage so much more.

If you haven't done so already, turn off the action cam - things improve then, though yeah...overall the slowness is to be expected until a patch comes out for it, I suppose.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Gonna have to go with the tier 3 cannons as my favorite, TBH. For the final mission I was like: "Hmm, prolly should have a sniper with AP rounds for this...but I just love to hear dat cannon roar, so Heavy Weapons Expert it is!"

Nothing like the sound of that while seeing it do AP damage and shredding all the armor off a hard target with the best scope + aim PSC bonus to guarantee it hits. :3:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Wizard Styles posted:

And courtesy of Iron Rose's 100% accurate swords mod, the final kill of the game goes to Jane Kelly. Thanks for teleporting into her murder zone, third Avatar

Me too! Perhaps it's in the game code, that it always does that if you kept Jane Kelly around and didn't change her name? Though in my version, I'll take two shotgun 15-20 rapid fire crits to blow it the hell away, TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah. it's as useful as it sounds.

*Indy voice* "Snek...why does it always have to be snektits?"